AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iso DWG settings in the project setup

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jeremylegleu
867 Views, 11 Replies

Iso DWG settings in the project setup

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding and trying to fix certain issues with the poject setup.  For example:  On my wok computer, the dimensions are giving me trouble where it does not dimension end to end on valves and does not dimension any supports.  On a coworkers computer, his pus the wrong border on the Iso's.  Even another one has check valves that come out the wrong way.  I went to the Isometric DWG setings and tried all kinds of things on my computer and they came out the same no mater what I changed in the settings.  Anybody has any clue as to what is going on?  Any help/advice would be appreciated!!  Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
roryromano
in reply to: jeremylegleu

hey,

I also find that there are many issues with this program...

Are you using 2012?? .. 2012 is a first generation program so there will for sure be bugs and glitches...

Check valve problem - i also have this problem and have read about others that do to. i have not found the casue or fix for it yet.

For your dimnension issues -  I am having similar issues right now....it does not seem to dimension how i set it up to dimension....Try editing the settings with all other users closed out of Plant 3D. Make sure that when you are changing the dimension settings in the Project Manager that you have selected the correct isometric style in the top right hand corner.

Sometimes i find that their is a disconnect between the project manager and the xml file. I have changed settings in the project manager but they do not update in the xml file. I have had to go in and edit the xml file to get it to work properly. I use notepad++ to edit the xml file.

Title Block -  If you have inserted your own title block into your title block template, make sure you name the title block 'Title Block'. (type the 'rename' command if you want to rename a block)

Also your co-worker may not have the correct isometric style selected when running the isos. that may be why there is a different title block...

hopefully that helps somewhat lol

rory

Message 3 of 12
jeremylegleu

Yes, we are using 2012 version.  We found that if you go to "title block and display" and change the "small bore" size at the bottom right to 1", it helps greatly with iso's.  The only drawback with that is the small bore pipe, 3/4" & 1/2" will have dimensions to everything even center to fitting to end.  So we are still trying to find the happy medium.  Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 12
jeremylegleu

Rory,

Also, when I change something in the project setup, it affects every computer.  So, the paths for getting the title blocks are the same for everyone.  So, since we pulling from the same place, how could he be the only one that comes out wrong?  It has to be something on his computer outside of the project setup that is throwing it off.  At least thats what I think...

Message 5 of 12
roryromano

you can set up your "small bore" piping to dimension differently than your "big bore".. when you are setting up your dimensions there is a pull down menu for the Iso themes. this is where you can change the way small bore piping is dimensioned. the default theme will be how your "big bore" is dimensioned.

having your small bore piping set to the size you want is key for having the other themes to work properly. However this will require a deep understanding of the xml file. i have disabled the vent and instrument piping themes (using the xml file) as they can also cause you to have some wierd dimensioning....

rory

Message 6 of 12
jeremylegleu
in reply to: roryromano

Ok, I think you might be on to something, let me go check it out and see what happens.  Stand by.

Message 7 of 12
roryromano

for the title block.... what i ment is that each style has its own title block (unless you have deleted all the styles and only have one). when you go to generate an iso, before you click on 'create' there is a pull down menu wich selects the style you want to use. make sure you guys are selecting the style you want. it may defualt to one of the program styles that came with plant 3d.

not sure if your problem is as simple as that but hopefully !!

Message 8 of 12
jeremylegleu

Ok, with the title block issue, I get what you are saying and yes, we did check that and he is using the same as we are.  With the small bore possible solution, I have to wait for my boss to give me permission to go and change things.  If you do not get a response from me today, you will tomorrow.  I believe it will work, but I want to try it first and make sure of it.  You were a big help!

Message 9 of 12
jeremylegleu

Rory,

I set the "small bore piping up to and including:" to 1 1/2" and the 2" lines work almost perfect creating Iso's in the default setting.  Now going to the small bore trying to set it up I am having issues with the threaded valves vs the flanged valves and finding the fix for these.

Message 10 of 12
jeremylegleu

I have the threaded ones going to the center and the gasket handling set to include in dimension, but I can not seem to get it to work with the flanged valves and add the gasket.  Any suggestions appreciated!

Message 11 of 12
roryromano

i have had this problem also. This is where i find a disconnect between the project manager and the xml file. even though you are changing settings in the project manager for some reason they are not updating in the xml file.

i suggest downloading notepad++  (it is free).

open the isoconfig.xml file  (create a copy or a backup of this file before you edit it just incase)

then for the small bore piping,  scroll down to line 1570, change the ExcludeGasket from false to true

then save, run an iso and see what happens

This xml file is where all of the iso settings are located. the project manager edits only some of the settings

Message 12 of 12
jeremylegleu

Ok, I will try that and see what happens.  Thank you for all of your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost