AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inserting symbols into P&ID without using tool palettes

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
995 Views, 8 Replies

inserting symbols into P&ID without using tool palettes

Is there any way to insert content into P&ID without using tool palettes? We are finding that we can't offer new symbols to our designers until we have updated and distributed new tool palettes. The symbols are already in the project, surely there is another way to insert them if the tool palette is not up to date?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Attila.Vallyon
in reply to: Anonymous

Well,

the projSymbolStyle.dwg file holds all P&ID symbols, you can open with the design center (CTRL+2) and insert the symbol blocks from it.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 3 of 9
dave.wolfe

You can set up network tool palettes, you can separate your Plant and P&ID profiles, and turn off PLANTDYNAMICTOOLPALETTE to make sure your network doesn't get killed with that.  You can also set the tool palette folder read-only on the network which should help the PLANTDYNAMICTOOLPALETTE issue if it must be used.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Thanks Dave, we are in the process of setting that up. I was just hoping that there was another way to insert symbols - I guess I'm used to being able to do anything in 10 different ways in Autocad.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

@attila_vallyon wrote:

Well,

the projSymbolStyle.dwg file holds all P&ID symbols, you can open with the design center (CTRL+2) and insert the symbol blocks from it.

Thanks Attila, but this only brings in the block, not the symbol - is that right?

Same goes for slines etc...tool palettes seem to be the only way to go.

Message 6 of 9
Attila.Vallyon

Yes, that is correct. The proper way is to use the tool palette.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 7 of 9
dave.wolfe

Yes, unfortunately the api isn't available for adding items to drawings. I wanted to do a plugin that displays the symbols for the current project, but we'll have to wait until the api gets there.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the replies - at least I know we're on the correct (albeit a little frustrating) path.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

Yes, but if you pull block in using DC, will all the properties that were programmed into the actual symbol work, such as tagging, etc.? I don't believe it will. Something to test.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost