AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy/duplicate an existing Plant 3D project under SQL Server

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
aldevos
6194 Views, 9 Replies

How to copy/duplicate an existing Plant 3D project under SQL Server

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to copy/duplicate an existing Plant 3D (2013 SP2) project under SQL Server.

I've already asked Autodesk Technical Support but procedure they gave me doesn't work. I get an error in the end when opening the "duplicated" project (see attached - sorry in French). Autodesk Technical Support recommended me this not officially supported procedure (!) :

1] Create backups of the existing SQL project databases.
2] Backup the project folder and files.
3] Rename the existing project : http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21185815&linkID=14116967
4] Restore the original project.

Please don't answer me to create a new project using settings of my current project and then add manually files to the project. Our project contains around 400 files (P&ID and 3D files) with a complex tree so adding them manually would take long each time we want to duplicate our project to do some migration test to Plant 3D 2014.

Regards,

Alexandre Devos

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dave.wolfe
in reply to: aldevos

First copy the files on the network to a new location.
Go to the installation folder and look for pop project maintenance.exe. that will let you select the copied project and will copy the SQL server db and link them to the copy.
Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 10
dave.wolfe

Sorry, autocorrect got me. Pnpprojectmaintenance.exe.
Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 4 of 10
aldevos
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much, this works great. It's a shame this procedure is not more explained in Plant 3D 2013 or 2014 Help!

http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2014/ENU/index.html?url=filesPLNT3D/GUID-46AB1EC0-40C1-4625-ADC5-21B...

http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesPCR/GUID-46AB1EC0-40C1-4625-ADC5-21B5E5...

To sum up, here's what to do to copy a Plant 3D Project under SQL Server:

1/ Copy your project files in a new directory, for example C:\Project_Old to C:\Project_New

2/ Open PnPProjectMaintenance.exe tool located in installation directory of Plant (for example: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 - French), use third option to copy database by selecting C:\Project_New\Project.xml, specify new server/database name and finally execute

3/ Open copied project in Plant by opening C:\Project_New\Project.xml

Regards,

Alexandre Devos

Message 5 of 10
andre.a.de.souza

Is this valid for P3d 2015?

I am looking for this file.. searched from root and it is nowhere to be found in the system..

Has AutoDesk removed it?

Thanks

Message 6 of 10

yes, it is.2015-02-22_21-38-15.png

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 7 of 10

Thanks

Message 8 of 10

Sorry Dave, just extending the question if I may.

What if the project is SQLLite?

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

I too would like to know how to do this with SQLite. Is the process the same?

I was using Plant 3D's "copy settings from an existing project" option but it never copies all the settings so I started just copying the project folder.

This works BUT you have to open up the database dcf files and change the project name in all those dcf files under PNPProject. Then there are about 10 xml files who's directories don't change and those all have to be updated as well.... It's a huge pain is what I'm getting at.

If there's an easier way please do tell us. 🙂

Thank you.

Message 10 of 10
samyg

Hi Dave,

What about the XML files in the new directory that still refer to the old one?

Is it a must to edit them manually to the new directory?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost