AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you put in a 2 degree bend

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
PatrickByrne
855 Views, 6 Replies

How do you put in a 2 degree bend

I have a horizontal pipe which then slopes down at 2 degrees. I want to put in a 2 degree bend at the join between the pipes.

If I use the Line to Pipe command it does not add the bend. If I go point to point it puts in a straight piece of pipe between the start and end points.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
GSC_HAYA
in reply to: PatrickByrne

Hi

whatever the software does, I would never use a 2 degree in practice. How shall the constructor create this bend?

Add a slope of 2 degrees to the piping (so they know what they shall erect at the construction site)

regards

Plant3D 2022 German
WIN10 Pro
Message 3 of 7
PatrickByrne
in reply to: GSC_HAYA

I appreciate you would not do this but the software should be able to cater for everything.

In steam piping we would use a 1:100 (0.57degrees) fall for piping in the direction of the flow and 1:40 (1.43 degrees) for piping falling against the direction of flow. The bends in these situations would be 90 degrees bends trimmed to suit.

For the piping I am working with now, the smallest slope is mostly at larger than 3 degrees but in certain situations we might have less. So my problem is if I have a pipe horizontal coming from equipment and I then want to fall it at 2 degrees to miss a beam I cannot create this in Plant 3D. In reality I would rather put in a mitre but Plant 3D cannot do Mitres either.

Message 4 of 7
dgorsman

Catering for everything has its limits.  An elbow trimmed to 88 degrees, certainly; trimmed down to 2 degrees... thats where the fabricators start yelling about engineers and designers with no shop experience.  😄  They'll take square cut pipe to the field and grind it back until it fits so a mitre joint would be more appropriate.  But, the program won't let you do that...  any chance you can get away with a pipe bend with appropriately long tangent lengths instead of separate runs of pipe?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
PatrickByrne
in reply to: dgorsman

We are actually working with manufactured bends which are flanged, therefore 2 degrees is important when bolting up. My point is the program should not care, I should be able to put in any bend I like. When I follow a line going point to point I expect the pipe to follow, it should put in a mitre or a bend.

CadWorx did this without any problems and I don’t believe that Autodesk are actually thinking about manufacture it is just a bug in Plant 3D similar to the line to pipe command not been able to do cutback elbows below 5 degrees.

Message 6 of 7
JohnHolder

could you just create a custom part and insert it with the correct bend?

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Message 7 of 7
PatrickByrne
in reply to: JohnHolder

If we go to Plant 3d that might be how we have to do it. But it should not be this hard, I am only talking about pipe and bends.

I have a similar problem with cutback bends between 90 and 96 degrees see thread "Bends larger than 90".

These types of bugs in Plant 3D should have been worked out by now and I am surprised to be coming across them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost