AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I keep my line number tag after I copy the pipe to other drawing?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
winner117
5865 Views, 24 Replies

I try to wblock it, but after explode the line number tag disappear.....

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
JHoward_HOB
in reply to: winner117

We don't use P3D as a piping package anymore and I remember this problem was one of our larger motivating factors for ditching it; we do still use it for 2D spooling though.

Anyway, we found ourselves having to reorganize our models at different periods in a very large project to accommodate the current size of the drawings and the number of detailers we had at the time. The inability to break large models into smaller ones without data loss (among other things) was killing us. We did find a work around for that problem, but it was asinine, very time consuming and no doubt caused some form of data corruption in the process. In no way does it solve the overall problem, but for break apart procedures it did seem to work:

What we did when we wanted to break a large model into smaller models was to create a copy and add it to the project. Then we would simply delete the objects out of each drawing we no longer wanted to have represented in each of the now 2 separate drawings.

I mostly commented on this to say how disappointed I am to hear that Autodesk still hasn't resolved this fundamental issue with their P3D offering. It is a very fine example of why I was telling you guys at an AU (over lunch focus session) that P3D is over managed. The ability to reorganize models is an AutoCAD feature we've all relied on for decades and not one I am willing to part with. I think P3D is a great concept, but generally a bad implementation and low hanging fruit like this will forever legitimize that point of view until you get around to cleaning it up.

Check out our blog @ HouseOfBIM.com
Message 22 of 25
aherreraLRD2K

It's kind a late the answer but in AP3D 2018.1.1 there is a new variable called "Plantcopylinenumber" this allows you copy the elements with Line number set to another drawing with their line number. In this link you will found more information

https://in-the-pipes.typepad.com/in_the_pipes/2017/12/sunnyside-up-secrets-in-plant-3d-201811.html

Tags (1)
Message 23 of 25
zwhitehead

I know this is an old thread and unsure if this issue was resolved but...

I wanted to keep my line numbers so I can do variations of a manifold for the client to review.

"There is a new variable PLANTCOPYLINENUMBER in 2018.1.1 - The default "off" setting is the behaviour you know (and maybe love...maybe not). Set this to "ON"and turn your world upside down or right side up as you split models, put piping into new drawings and retain line numbers and info to your heart's content." https://in-the-pipes.typepad.com/in_the_pipes/2017/12/sunnyside-up-secrets-in-plant-3d-201811.html

Hope it helps someone.

Tags (1)
Message 24 of 25
jcanales_r
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

PlantCopyLineNumber

Message 25 of 25

We had create seperate models with pipework with the same service to reduce file size. We have now created an overall drawings which we need to copy all the services into.However all line tags disappear as well as insulation and service. All models are within the one project. Obviously there is an issue with line tag duplication within the same project. If I was to create a seperate project and copy from one project to the other, would this take the duplication issue out of the scenario. I don't want to have to manually select entire line number, copy, paste and re-assign line numbers, tags and insulation. HELP.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost