AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Linetype for UG piping in Orthos; Plant 14

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
JoeKay
568 Views, 6 Replies

Hidden Linetype for UG piping in Orthos; Plant 14

I was told I could do this in Plant 14s Orthos. I need all my UG piping to be dashed when I make an Plan view Ortho. Making the pipes linetype hidden doesn't work, doesn't carry over to the ortho. There is a hidden line option but that seems to be just how pipe crossings are handled. Any insight to fix this issue would be great. I have 1000's of underground piping and to manually select them all to change them to hidden take way to long. There has to be a better solution.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
EricNyh
in reply to: JoeKay

My ortho layers are set up to use the model layers.  From that, after an ortho is generated, I am able to select the layer of each ug line and change it's linetype.  Once you do this, even if you update your viewports, it will keep the layer settings.  Since all my ug lines have the same service, it's been easy to select them all at once within layer mgr.

Message 3 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: EricNyh

I recommend using two viewports overlayed. One showing underground and one with above ground. Use a thin box or plate to represent grade.

http://www.pdoteam.com/2014/03/displaying-under-ground-piping-in-autocad-plant-3d/

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 4 of 7
JoeKay
in reply to: EricNyh

I'm assuming your layers are set up by line numbers no? Then if so that means you still have to manually select all the underground piping and place it on another layer ex D-PR12345 UG? I've tried this method but the layers keep getting over written if I have to edit a section or change option in the project properties. If not, what layering method are you using for your piping. By line # tends to be the industry standard but Plant, even 14, still doesn't handle this well.
Message 5 of 7
JoeKay
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Thanks Dave for the tip. I have heard of this solution before, maybe even from you. But a problem arose when I have a worksite that has a steep grade over the whole site. It made it extremely hard to line the ports in a why where one end was still was still above while the other all below. Of course I could even make more ports but that's not making the situation easier. I guess I'm just disappointed that Plant 14 still doesn't have a better alternative then 'tricking' the system. Like why isn't there an option the properties box to designate that this pipe is UG and should always ortho dashed? There is tons of other options that affect other areas like Heat Tracing. Thanks again though.
Message 6 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: JoeKay

You can create multiple layer/color schemes. I would create a property underground on the p3dlinegroup class, and then use layers by that property. Then in the data manager you can set a bunch of lines to that. Have the PIpeRuncomponents and Fasteners acquire from the P3dLinegroup property. Then set that layer scheme current and create your orthos with the Use Model Layers option.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 7 of 7
JoeKay
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Dave, I have tried your overlapping viewport method and I just don't think it works for my application. I'm running into issues with foundations and overlapping pipe clipping through. For example the Below Grade piping is shown through the Above Grade piping when done this way. I'd attach a picture but I think my companys web blocker prevents me. ( I think it also makes my posts 1 paragraph, sorry I am using enter). If you could describe in more detail, step by step, about the post above. I think that situation may be best suited for me. I got kind of lost after the creating the group part. What I'd like to happen, create a Pipe line with line number and have the layering automatic come out D-PR-12345 for above grade (which by default it does) and D-PR-12345-UG for below grade dependent on if I have that Pipe assigned to my newly created 'Underground' group. Is it possible to do this or some thing similar? I don't mind changing the piping to hidden after ortho creation, it would just be easier to select by layer versus selecting by individual pipe. Thank. and again sorry if this shows as 1 paragraph.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost