AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - Spec and catalog editor - Half coupling branch

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
maxdc
6995 Views, 16 Replies

Help needed - Spec and catalog editor - Half coupling branch

I want to use a sw half coupling from the ASME catalogue to make a branch. I can do the conexion on the branch table setup dialogue, but when I want to use it, it says that it is not valid for those diameters.
I need to connect a 1/2" SW half coupling to a 2" pipe
The project is in metric units, with diameters in inches and all options in default
Can anyone help???

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
RSFAdsk
in reply to: maxdc

Hello,

I gave this a try and experienced the same problem.  With the Coupling selected, the branch table is highlighting the Apply to Table button incorrectly.  I will log this problem if it is not already reported.  Maybe it's sniffing the wrong end...

There is a workaround.  You can force the entry into the Branch table with a multibranch (image attached).  The improper error message will appear and the cell will turn red (image attached).  But you can route with it (image attached).

Richard Frank
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 17
DJPiper
in reply to: RSFAdsk

im not sure if youre having this problem on your software version.

1. Half coupling is replaced by a place holder when you insert it into a pipe using Tool pallete

2. half coupling is placed correctly if just placed it into open space, using tool pallete

3. Half coupling is placed correctly if you used continuation grip.

tried on both Imperial and Metric.

AP3D 2011 trial

Message 4 of 17
maxdc

@RSFAdsk wrote:

Hello,

I gave this a try and experienced the same problem.  With the Coupling selected, the branch table is highlighting the Apply to Table button incorrectly.  I will log this problem if it is not already reported.  Maybe it's sniffing the wrong end...

There is a workaround.  You can force the entry into the Branch table with a multibranch (image attached).  The improper error message will appear and the cell will turn red (image attached).  But you can route with it (image attached).

Thank you, The workaround was useful. But, as RPACLE said, I have the same problem to insert the coupling from the tool palleteGracias, Me sirvio el workaround. Pero como comento rpacle tengo los mismos problemas para insertar la cupla desde el toolpallete

I'm using AP3D 2011

Max

Message 5 of 17
MOLGRAND
in reply to: DJPiper

Hi,

I have loaded up the latest fixes - this doesn't look like it has been fixed. The work-around doesn't seem to work for me when I tried it. I had been using the SOL or TOL as my work around, but we weren't totally happy with this & want to use the half coupling for the connection - what is the status of a fix for this?

Thanks

Gary

Message 6 of 17
Diego.Faria

What is the current status on this fix?

I'm working with the 2012 version and it's still saying that the half coupling is not a valid connection.

I'm also facing the problem described by rlpacle:

1. Half coupling is replaced by a place holder when you insert it into a pipe using Tool pallete

2. half coupling is placed correctly if just placed it into open space, using tool pallete

3. Half coupling is placed correctly if you used continuation grip.

What could be causing this? I only have my half coupling under the Coupling category in my Spec, and I also have set it in the branch table to be the valid connection for pipes branching from 6"~2" to 1"~1/2".

If more information is needed on this I can take screen shots.

Thanks in advance.

Diego Faria

LinkedIn

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
lukecoxon3d

Hi Autodesk

I also have the same problem with half couplings.

Please let us know if it is being looked at.

Cheers

Message 8 of 17
Ahmed1081975

I have Same Issue For Half Coupling

Message 9 of 17
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Ahmed1081975

Generally Couplings and Half couplings are used for pipe to pipe connections.

Couplings are available in SW/Threaded ends.

Full coupling is a one, which will be having socket/threaded at both ends. Generally Full coupling will be used to connect pipes of small bores having plain ends, i.e below 2"

Half coupling is a one, which will be having socket/thread at one end, the other end will be welded/fastened with pipe. Half coupling will be used whereever hose connector is required.

If half coupling is used in branch connection, the other end will be flat and it will not properly fit with pipe, more welding is required to fill the gap generally.

Because of cost, many companies are using half coupling, which is not a best engineering practice in my opinion.

Sockolets/Weldolets/Threadolets only should be generally used for branches.

However in opinion, Autodesk should give this option also in brach connector, as using half coupling for branch connection is a common in industries, so it would be difficult to convince the managment to go with sockolets instead of halfcoupling.

Message 10 of 17
MOLGRAND

Hi,

I gave up with trying to get this to work & Autocad didn't seem to be able to help!

In the end in, when using 2011, I copied the o-let info when in the cat editor & called it 1/2" coupling welded to pipe. I deleted the o-lets that I didn't want & changed the dims to suit (in this case) to a 1/2" full coupling (so it is proud of the insulation). As it is still an o-let class it still works just like an o-let would, but looks like an coupling. The ISO files where also changed so the drawn iso shows a coupling shape instead of the o-let & also the discription was changed so it reports ok on the BOM.

I have attached an example from a project drg.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gary

Message 11 of 17
lukecoxon3d
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

Thanks THERMAXCHENNAI

A half coupling branching off a main header may not be best practice, but i am just the drafter trying to fill out the spec given to me by the process engineer.

It is a cheaper solution that is quite common in lower pressure and less critical processes, and as you suggested, if it is used commonly in certain intustries then the AUTOCAD PLANT3d team should make this branch possible in the branch table.

AUTODESK, and chance of some feedback on this?

I have the following scenario...

1/2" - 2" half coupling Branch

to Branch off a 2.5" to 24" header. 

I can manually insert the half coupling that I created and connect it to the header, this work fine. I can also route from the half coupling perfectly which suggest I have made the coupling correctly.

BUT in the branch table the coupling connection won't stay or work at all (it goes RED or goes blank) so the auto branch or continuation function just leaves a blank pipe from the centre of my header, no coupling inserted.

Please at least let us know if it is impossibe, so i can stop trying to get it working.

Cheers 

Message 12 of 17
lukecoxon3d
in reply to: MOLGRAND

Thanks GARY

You are a star for this. 

I will try it.

It sucks that it takes such effort to do this work around for something so fundamentally simple.

It also sucks that there is no feedback from Autodesk on this. 

Thanks for letting others know of an alternative solution.

Cheers

Message 13 of 17
JarrodMudford
in reply to: lukecoxon3d

I just recently helped someone out with this on the Ask the Expert page. It is only now that I have seen it.

Create a new component in your catalog as an Olet. But give it the descriptions for Half Coupling and same with the dimensions. It looks like a Half Coupling but ISO's like an Olet.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Jarrod Mudford
Plant Solutions Consultant
Global Services
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 17
MOLGRAND
in reply to: lukecoxon3d

Hi,

Is this now the official Autocad response now to this issue - after waiting over 2 years for a satisfactory final solution??? We have been doing this work-around for the last 2 years!!

See post No 10 on this suject

Regards

Gary

Message 15 of 17
JarrodMudford
in reply to: MOLGRAND

yes.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Jarrod Mudford
Plant Solutions Consultant
Global Services
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 17
tzhng.lim

Has Autodesk resolved the improper error issue? 

Tim Lim
Design Manager
THESB
Message 17 of 17
tzhng.lim
in reply to: JarrodMudford

If it ISO's like an Olet how can this be accepted as a solution? 

Tim Lim
Design Manager
THESB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost