AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Graphic card for Plant 3D

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
milic.srdjan
700 Views, 3 Replies

Graphic card for Plant 3D

Halo to all,

I have several questions, and I think that experience of users can help,
and improve my PC ๐Ÿ™‚

Does certified or recommended graphic card is really important for Plant 3D modeling ?
P3D Users, did You really see and feel improvements when You start using certified graphic cards ?
Can You post, type of graphic card (GC) when You answer to question above ๐Ÿ™‚ ?
Are certified GCs are better then gaming cards for P3D, or You really need GCs that have only good support for OpenGL ?
Minimum memory on GC to have pleasant environment to work with large models ?
ATI FireGL or Nvidia Quadro ? (Please not make flames here, only inportant infos) I thought that NVidia have better OpenGL, but now I think that they are the same ๐Ÿ™‚

OK, I know, many questions, but, but...

I have GeForce 9500 GT and many many problems, specially when I use hardware acceleration. I I had degraded settings and problems still exist.

Srdjan

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JohnHolder
in reply to: milic.srdjan

to be honest, I don't know.  I use a Quadro FX1800, and either using the latest Nvidia drivers ( non certified ) or Autocad Certified drivers, I have seen no noticable difference.

With hardware acceleration, I have had nothing but issues using it.  For me it is always off.

I just stick with using certified drivers.

With regards to gaming cards and professional cards, I cannot say one way or the other since I havn't really looked into it myself.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: JohnHolder

Given your litany of problems, I suspect you are very much an "edge case".

Quadro isn't so important any more, but I think there does need to be some management of expectations.  Replacing a $1000 video card with a $5000 will not turn Plant3D into Navisworks or Inventor.  Doing that with a barrel-scraping i3 with 6 GB RAM will only make a difference to your wallet.  The important factors between gaming and Quadro cards are the other software being run ie. ReCap, CloudWorx, or other OpenGL-based software.  Software which has a high dependency on OpenGL will require one of the workstation-type cards.

As always, when in doubt start looking at specifications.  Software will list the requirements and hardware will list the capabilities.  Ensure the latter meets or exceeds the former.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
JohnHolder
in reply to: dgorsman

Maybe I overstated the issues, I get small lines off all the endpoints in a drawing *sometimes* which is annoying. but I have an I7 with 12 gigs ram, not a barrel scraping i3, but it is getting a little dated.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

โ€Boost