AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap between 8"-elbow and 8"-S.O. Flange

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
perfumat
851 Views, 9 Replies

Gap between 8"-elbow and 8"-S.O. Flange

Hello

While using an specification wich includes 8" Slip On flanges, i'm trying to place a 8" flanged ball valve next to an elbow.

Is there any place where i can set or fix the gap between the weld of the elbow and the exterior  weld of the S.O. flange? I don't want to weld the elbow with the flange (like it's shown in the attached file)

thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Dan.Scales
in reply to: perfumat

Hi,

You have the option to set weld gaps in the Project Setup:

http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2014/ENU/filesPLNT3D/GUID-1106BB51-54B6-4641-9F95-818B6E29F433.htm

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Scales
Message 3 of 10
eadkins73

If I understand your question right, it sounds like you want a small piece of pipe betwen the elbow and flange.  To do that, you will need to route a small piece of pipe and then add the SO flange to the pipe, not the elbow.  Then you can use the grips to slide the flange to the place you want.

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 4 of 10
perfumat
in reply to: eadkins73

Thanks,
I've tried that. Put the elbow and route a pipe (around 1 meter). After
that i put the flange in the middle of the pipe and tried to move de SO
flange (with the grips). When i move it next to the connection between pipe
and elbow, the flange attaches to the elbow/end of pipe. I need 50mm of
pipe between the elbow and the flange. If route a 50mm pipe, the flange is
putted at the end of the pipe, with 50mm between the inner weld of the
flange and the elbow (just the pipe lenght). I need that distance with the
OUTTER weld of the flange, not the inner.

I've tried to set it on the project set up, but seems that 3dplant takes
the inner weld yo calculate gaps between welds (or i can't find the option)

Thanks for your patience
Message 5 of 10
Dan.Scales

Hi,

If you draw the elbow and then place a short length of pipe on the elbow you can insert the slop on flange on the end of the pipe by holding the Ctrl button down when you place it on the pipe. Holding the Ctrl button allows you to toggle the side of the flange that is connecting.

In the screen shot you can see a 25mm length shown in green:

Slipon.png

Is that the type result you want?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Scales
Message 6 of 10
eadkins73

I tested it out and I see what you are saying.  I was able to place a flange not attached to anything, route a 2" piece of pipe as measured from the face of the flange (using offset lines as a guide) and draging  to the line using the plus sign.  I then moved the flange and pipe and connected the node of the pipe to the node of the elbow.  

I don't think there is a way to do that in a project setup.

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 7 of 10
perfumat

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I've tried this solutions, but when i tried to move the flange (using control to change the grip point), i only can grip the "A"  (end of flange) and "B" (inner weld) points (like shown in the attached file option1). I need the 50mm gap between "C" point and the elbow, but i don't know how to grip the flange from "C" point.

If i move the flange from the "B" grip point, i need to know the lenght of the flange to do what i want.

When i tried to put firstly the flange and after the pipe, i can't set the offset from point "c" (see attached file option2) 

Thanks all you for your patience, 

Message 8 of 10
Dan.Scales

Hi,

When you say you want a 50mm gap between point C and the elbow, do you mean that you need a 50mm length of pipe or an actual gap?

If you want 50mm of pipe then you need to draw the pipe section on the elbow and then place the flange onto the pipe.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Scales
Message 9 of 10
perfumat
in reply to: Dan.Scales

Hi,

I don't want a 50mm pipe, i need a pipe little longer.

I

Capture.JPG 

The 50mm must be from weld to weld

Thanks

Message 10 of 10

I solved this question some time ago

The problem was with the engagement lenght in SO flange. The pipe starts routing includes this engangementh lenght. So, if i route a pipe of 50mm, there aren't 50mm between the flange and the elbow, it's little less becouse includes the engagent of flange

What i have done to control this i to make new spec, setting all engagemnts to 0 in socketweld accesories. Then, all pipes routed from socket counts since the outter weld, not the engagement.

The olnly problem is that the total meters of pipe results in a few mm less than required, but it's only a few

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost