AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze/hide layers for Ortho View Creation

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
flemster911
3929 Views, 19 Replies

Freeze/hide layers for Ortho View Creation

We have Plant 3D 2011...

Is there a way to freeze layers in the 3D model so they don't appear in the ortho dwg that's created? I've tried freeze/off, but the layers still appear in the ortho dwg when I create/update a view...

What am I doing wrong???

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
PeterQuinn
in reply to: flemster911

I'm not sure if there is a way to freeze the layers in the model, but you can freeze the layers in the resulting ortho.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 20
kacompston

I've come across the same issue and you're not doing anything wrong, you just can't do what you're trying to do.  I've found that Orthos are next to worthless, and using layouts, viewports, and the 3DCLIP command work pretty well in place of using Orthos.

Message 4 of 20
flemster911

Thanks for the reply...

I've tried flatshot too, but the Plant 3D objects don't appear (unless I explode them). I could use 3DClip in my viewports, but then I can't control the lineweights & types like a 2D dwg...

Message 5 of 20
awerning
in reply to: kacompston

I wouldn't necessarily call the ortho tool "next to worthless."  Granted, a large ortho is a bit slow to create and the layering is less than desirable (there are workarounds).  But I have had the opportunity to beta test the next release and look for good things to come!  I feel the idea is sound and useful, we just need to provide feedback to iron out the bugs, if for no other reason than to have another option.  Just my 2 cents...I'm excited anyway.

Message 6 of 20
flemster911
in reply to: awerning

This still doesn't work in Plant 3D 2012...

Message 7 of 20
Jorgen1990

In Plant 3D 2012, if I turn off a couple of layers, some still appear on Ortho (and some don't). Annoying.

And Peter, if I turn off layers in resulting Ortho, I cannot see the objects that were hidden behing the layer I turned off, so this is not a good solution.

Jörgen

Message 8 of 20
snijdam
in reply to: Jorgen1990

What Jorgen1990 said is true. The problem is still there in release 2013. Very annoying. I'm very interested in the workarounds....

Message 9 of 20
JohnHolder
in reply to: snijdam

I use orthos in 2013 it usually works great with little or no issues.

I freeze layers then save a layerstate, ( for quicker updates when I have to modifiy said ortho ) then start the ortho tool.

and I rarely have an issue.

Occasionally somethings do bleed through - but normally it's easy to fix and was caused by blocks with different layer names during the block creation.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Message 10 of 20

This seems to be old... but use PlantHide on Visibility Tab (Home Ribbon) and cretae your view

Autodesk should make a feature similar to layer states ... like a PlantHide state... 

It is really annoying having to come back on a large model and start hiding stuff again and again hoping the you havent forgot something.

Thanks

Message 11 of 20
Pavel_Ilyin

PLANT 3D 2020.

The problem is still existing. 😞

Message 12 of 20
DVaquand

Hello

Sorry for my English, which I don't speak and whose post has been translated by Google Translate.

When creating an orthographic view Plant 3D creates a temporary XREF corresponding to the delimited 3D area.
You can modify the properties of the layers of this temporary XREF in order to modify the visual of the orthographic view.
The update of the ortho view is not done from "update view" but from "Modify view".

Here is a screencast showing the process.

https://autode.sk/3dn0yLL

== french ==

Bonjour

Lors de la création d'une vue orthographique Plant 3D crée un XREF temporaire correspondant à la zone 3D délimitée.
Vous pouvez modifier les propriétes des calques de cet XREF temporaire afin de modifier le visuel de la vue orthographique.
La mise à jour de la vue ortho ne se fait pas depuis "mettre à jour la vue" mais depuis "Modifier la vue".

Voici un screencast montrant le processus.

https://autode.sk/3dn0yLL

cordially

Dominique VAQUAND
www.dovaq.fr

Cette publication vous a-t-elle été utile ? N’hésitez pas à attribuer la mention J’aime à cette publication.
Avez-vous obtenu la réponse à votre question ? Cliquez ensuite sur le bouton ACCEPTER LA SOLUTION.

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
awerning
in reply to: Pavel_Ilyin

This has been solved for quite a few versions now, but I see that this discussion continues. Let me share all of my findings as we have used this on a large project now and have been able to do everything that we were able to do with the standard paperspace/viewport method.

1) In order to attach a 3D model to a Plant 3D ortho it must be included in the project (added to the project files) or it must be a sub-xref to a file that already is. (This is a BIG one...has cause much confusion)

2) What is visible in the ortho is independent of your visibility in the main 3D model file (just like the paperspace/viewport method). You can set any layer to freeze/thaw regardless of what the main 3D model is set to. (I would advise to never use On/Off for Orthos. If you understand the nature of On/Off you would probably agree. Turning layers on/off is more for 3D modeling, NOT drawing creation and WILL cause issues if used)

3) After using the 3D model select tool to define which models are part of your ortho, you should not "detach" xrefs in your xref manager to "turn off" whole models. Detached xrefs will still show up on your ortho because it only looks at the 3D Model List. In fact, you can verify this because the next time you enter your ortho edit view mode they will be back. You must remove them from your active 3D model list to remove a full file (or just simply freeze every layer in that xref...useful for if it is a sub-xref that is not attached to the project...or many other cases as well)

4) THIS IS THE BIGGEST ONE!! When it comes to blocks, only the layer that the block itself is inserted on is considered. NOT what you see on the screen. So if a block has 3 entities in it that are on 3 different layers and then the block is inserted on (or set to) a 4th layer then your only option is to turn the whole block visible/invisible by freezing/thawing the 4th layer. Even though you can freeze/thaw the first 3 layers and see different parts of the block visible/invisible in your ortho cube editing interface it will IGNORE everything except that main layer that the block is inserted on. I do consider this a bug. But once you know about it you can work around it. I instructed our designers that blocks must be "simple" in their layering. They needed to make sure that all entities inside the block were on the same layer as the insertion of the block itself. This severely limits your block - I understand - but I am simply telling you the workaround and not debating that this is the way it should be kept. Obviously, we can all agree that this is not ideal.

Please do not skip #4 and think it doesn't apply to you. It will and it does. It will cause the most amount of problems. And when you understand it then 80% of your problems will be solved. I can't recall fully but I think it applied to xref insertions as well (sub-xrefs and the layers they are on). Just keep an eye out and always ask the question of what the main block's layer is.

And you have heard it before...AVOID 3D MODELING WITH LAYER 0 AT ALL COSTS!! 😉

Hope this helps.

Message 14 of 20
George.Endrulat

So we get our exports from Autodesk Revit for structural as .dwgs, these then can not be modified by piping.  We xref these in our piping models.  During Ortho generation we require the grating to be hidden for a cut within those structural xrefs.  Using layers they do not change in the resultant generated ortho.  I can't imagine that we are doing anything special or out of the ordinary with this workflow.  We just need a portion of the structural xrefed .dwg hidden for the ortho generation.  The items we need hidden are on their own individual layer.

Is there a solved solution for this scenario?

George

If my post offers a solution, please click "Accept as Solution"
Message 15 of 20
awerning
in reply to: George.Endrulat

Could you possibly attach or PM me an example file? I would need to take a look at the grating entity itself to see what/how it exported.

Message 16 of 20
jw7018

Turn layers (and xref layers) off when setting the Orthocube limits when creating an ortho drawing.

We made a drawing for foundation location ortho for skids with proper layer on/off.... then we import the ortho to another project as a template and it holds the layers on/off as long as the same layers names are used in future models.  This helps a tone when something is moved and you have to update a view!

Message 17 of 20
George.Endrulat

I do apologize but I can't attach/upload anything from the company I'm working at.  I appreciate the interest and the time taken.  I'll try and solve it myself without duplicating and modifying drawings to make it work. 

George

If my post offers a solution, please click "Accept as Solution"
Message 18 of 20
awerning
in reply to: George.Endrulat

I assumed you could not upload anything project related. We too have that restriction at our company. But not even a side test model with just a single piece of steel and a single piece of grating? We currently use Advance Steel but have toyed with the idea of going to Revit and then exporting to AutoCAD as you say your company is doing. I would love to know if there is a export issue that causes Plant 3D Ortho to choke a bit. I am also a crack LISP writer. I love to write scripts that fix entities. If you (or really anyone out there that currently is running Revit) can upload a sample it sure might be helpful to many!

Message 19 of 20
Dadspackard

This problem of trying to freeze layers while in ortho creation still exists in Plant 3D 2021.

I don't recall what version it use to work in....
Tom
aka, Dadspackard, Packin31
Message 20 of 20

@flemster911  Please use the Hide Option as shoen in below image to hide the components in ortho view.

Capture.JPG

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost