AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flange spacing on lined pipe

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dustyray
2913 Views, 9 Replies

Flange spacing on lined pipe

Spec editor setting for lined pipe?

Specifically, face of flange lined overlap.

30" diameter neoprene lined pipe with flange overlap.

1/4" lining on face of flange.

1/8" gasket.

1/4" lining on face of flange.

Flange spacing has to be 5/8" for cut lengths.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
DLee_XstrataTech
in reply to: dustyray

I've been trying to do the same thing.

What I've done so far:

• Copy the ASME SORF flange and call it - RUBBER LINED (image002.jpg)
  • Change it's port to LFL (ie. Lined Flange)
  • Inside the Catalog editor, find the new flange range and change the "engagement length" for each size to be the thickness of the lining. (image004.jpg)
  • Add a new joint type in "Project Setup" See lined pipe (image006.jpg) This will enable you to add a bolt but no gasket to all of this type of connection.

Trouble is that the engagement length for the LFL port doesn't seem to alter anything. My flanges always butt right up without the gap. I need the 3mm each side to get the correct cut lengths for pipes.

Need help please! I suspect it comes from re-using the catalog component for a SORF. I think that this component is overriding the users input.

Good luck, and let us know if you solve it.

Dave

Message 3 of 10

I'm sorry I took so long to reply.

We created 3D blocks of our flanges with rubber lining, then used Plantpartconvert to place port at face of rubber lining and back of flange.

This does place gasket between rubber lined flanges.

Have not verified bolt sets.

It's not near advanced as your solution, but maybe combining both we can make it work.

Thanks,

Dusty
Message 4 of 10

Hi Dusty,

I think you're right, the answer will invoilve creating custom flange components like you say. I wanted to avoid this option because you have to create them for each size that you use.

I will give this a go this week and report back. It looks like we're the only two people doing lined pipe out there.

Now for 3D bends with 100mm tan ends... They stuff up when you cut back the elbow.

Regs,

Dave

Message 5 of 10

If it's any help, I could send you my Blocks drawing for rubber lined flanges.

Although, they are all setup to inch.

Let me know if these would help.

Dusty

dray@cmw.cc

Dusty
Message 6 of 10
dustyray2010
in reply to: dustyray2010

Hi Dave,

Looking thru your previous reply, when setting end connections, did you select "gasket" and "bolt set" to the new joint type?

Dusty

dray@cmw.cc

Dusty
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the flanges. I still haven't gone back to the rubbery stuff this week.

As far as bolts and gaskets are concerned, I figure that you use the LFL type to tell the software that you are doing a lined pipe. So in the setup you can leave the gaskets off for this type of connection because you'll never need the gasket.

Regs,

Dave

Brisbane, Australia

Message 8 of 10

Our experience is when using rubber lined, the gaskets prevent the rubber from melting together at higher temperatures.

But thanks for the help.

Dusty

Dusty
Message 9 of 10
btrevena
in reply to: dustyray

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me interrupting your dialogue.

I have worked on Teflon lined piping systems and found that fudging the gasket thickness was a simple yet effective solution.

You could also try adding spacer discs to represent the lining. I use these either side of wafer butterfly valves on thick wall HDPE pipe. Adding spacer discs cannot be automated within compound joints but placing them between the gasket and flange does adjust bolt length.

regards,

Bruce

Tags (3)
Message 10 of 10
DLee_XstrataTech
in reply to: btrevena

Thanks, any input is welcome.

I'd modified the gaskets for this spec to be 6mm thick, but I didn't want them in the BOM.

Cheers,

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost