AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export by area

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
David_Metcalf
653 Views, 6 Replies

Export by area

When we have a plant project defined by area and reports need to be sent to Excel tabbed as such by area. So how will we accomplish this from within Plant 3D?

I read from the helpguide that is not possible. http://autode.sk/Ykr5v6

Any workarounds to this limitation?

Thanks,

David

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

for each area you should do it in separate drawings, then you can. this will be a workaround only.
Message 3 of 7
cadwomen
in reply to: David_Metcalf

if i understand right, why you not just add a Field "area" then you are able to make a selektion

or like the poster bevor said , make a extra drawing

cu cw

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
Message 4 of 7

Set up a property called "Area" under engineering items. This could be an acquisition of the Area from the drawing. But not entirely necessary.

Create a new Data Manager view called Area, based on the project, and create a single level based on the "Area" property.

Then when in your data manager, go to this new view. If you export to excel from the top of the tree, and making sure that "Active node and all child nodes" is slected, this will break it out to different sheets within your excel file.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Jarrod Mudford
Plant Solutions Consultant
Global Services
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Guys,

Jarred, 

In trying your suggestion, I found a property set called Drawing Area that when the Drawing Properties are accessed in the Project Manager (select the dwg and right click on it to access Properties) we can then populate the field of each dwg in the project with the appropriate area number.

Question remain how to set up the export of the report so that an area is exported into each worksheet in one workbook. I have yet to find a way other than export each drawing. As your last remark "Then when in your data manager, go to this new view. If you export to excel from the top of the tree, and making sure that "Active node and all child nodes" is selected, this will break it out to different sheets within your excel file." has me a bit confused as this might seem to be a Report Creator function and not Data Manager function.

I might be missing something but getting warmer. Needing to go to each drawing and export separately is a little tendious.

Marcos.png

David

Message 6 of 7

I am sticking to this process because I have a user wishing to generate reports to excel tabbed into Excel worksheets in a workbook. I am sure he is aware of the workaround and can asseble the areas from seperate Excel files into one with the areas tabbed to worksheets. Per Jarred's suggestion I found I could make a new property called Plant_Area and use Drawing Area to sort out by that parameter. The images below show the steps.

Tabbing1.png

Browse down to Engineering Items per Jarred and then select Add.

tabbing2.png

Name the property as appropriate.

tabbing3.png

Go to drawings tab and Select the General Properties to use Drawing Area as a property.

tabbing4.png

Then pick each dwg and add to it's properties the Drawing Area a number 001. 002, etc.

tabbing5.png

tabbing6.png

Then Set in Data Manager the Plant Area column to acquire to data from Drawing Area. I believe the drawing must be open to populate the data in the cells. Not sure yet.

tabbing7.png

Data from Drawing Area populates in the Plant Area Parameter.tabbing8.png

I have yet to figure out how to export so that each area goes to a separate  worksheet within  a workbook. Will the report Creator do this process?

Thanks,

David

Message 7 of 7
BuddyLegnon
in reply to: David_Metcalf

Hello guys,

Let me just add some perspective here. I know that the original post requested to run these reports from within the Plant environment. However the best method for that is the Report Creator tool. It allows you to run a variety of reports, custom create your own, and select which models in the project you want to run. So parting the project up in to sections is easy to do, and the excel report you created reflects that.

There is some work and setup required to do it from within the Plant enviroment that seems to be more tidous that just using the report writer.

Here is a video on report writer: http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2013/ENU/plant/pip/autocadplant3d_video_rc1_v3.html

http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2013/ENU/plant/pip/autocadplant3d_video_rc2_v3.html

not trying to hijack the thread, but the RW is purpose built to perform the functions that seem to be needed here.

Roland “Buddy” Legnon

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button (you must be logged in). This helps everyone find answers more quickly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost