AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error creating project on windows 7

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Mohamed_Yamani
1206 Views, 11 Replies

Error creating project on windows 7

Hi. I am trying to start a new project inside Plant 3D. I got unhandled error.
I tried to open "sample project" I got error "The file you are trying to open is not a valid project".
Have anyone faced this probelm before?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Mohamed_Yamani

Hi Mohamed,

I've not encountered this issue and I am also using Windows 7. During
installation, did any error messages display? Are you running AutoCAD Plant
3D 2010 as an Administrator?

Thanks,

Jorge Lopez
Autodesk

"Mohamed_Yamani" wrote in message news:6330116@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi. I am trying to start a new project inside Plant 3D. I got unhandled
error.
I tried to open "sample project" I got error "The file you are trying to
open is not a valid project".
Have anyone faced this probelm before?
Thanks
Message 3 of 12

Not at all. The installation went well.
I tried to run the program in compatability mode and with all admin rights.
I think the problem happens because I am installing Plant 3D with C3D and MEP at the same machine because the error is related to getting Acad Object.
Have you any suggestion?
Thanks
Message 4 of 12
sahas

Hi Mohamed,

We have tried to reproduce the reported issue using Windows 7. We have installed C3D 2010, MEP 2010 side-by-side with Plant 3D 2010 and followed the steps as per your message. But we were unable to reproduce the problem.

Please allow me to ask you two questions:

1. What was the installation sequence of all 3 products? Like I installed C3D first, then MEP and finally Plant 3D.

2. When you were trying with Plant 3D, was C3D and/or MEP also open in the same machine?

Thanks in advance,

Subrata Saha
Autodesk
Message 5 of 12

Hello,

I was being advised not to run P3D 2010 under Windows 7. But to wait for release 2 of P3D. It could create some errors in your project.

Regards,

Peter
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for your feedback. I check compatabile products with Windows 7 and didn't find Plant 3D.
I will try to use Vista or XP.
Message 7 of 12

No problem, I would use XP if possible.
Message 8 of 12
lmoss

I have a windows 7 64-bit user who is getting the same error just trying to create a new project. He is evaluating Plant 3D
as a potential replacement for a 3rd party product (Coade CadWorx) which fails to install on Civil3D 2010 64-bit - it is getting very frustrating.
Message 9 of 12

I couldn't fin a solution till now and I had to use virtual windows xp. I will wait another till we get V2011 and test. Edited by: Discussion_Admin on Mar 10, 2010 5:24 PM
Message 10 of 12

Mohamed_Yamani:

I don't know where you got your information about V2011, but your information is incorrect.

This forum is not the place to talk about future releases or about information you may have gotten from OTC.

Please refrain from posting regarding future product releases or product features that are not yet publicly available.

Thank you.

Eileen Foran
Autodesk

Eileen Foran
Community Program Manager
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12
mbennum

We just purchased Plant3D here, and I am having this exact same problem. Is there any fix or work-around for this yet?

I'm running Win 7 64 bit, on a Quad core w/8gb of RAM, Radeon 4670 (if that matters). User account has admin rights.

I have Civil3d 2009 and 2010 installed, they were installed before Plant 3D. I have tried a re-install, it didn't help.
Also before we purchased Plant3D, I had the same problem with the 30-day trial demo version.

I also have it running on a 32 bit XP machine (with Civil3d '09 and '10 installed on that as well) and it works fine on that computer.
Message 12 of 12

I am with mbennum on this one, and am having this exact issue. I think it has something to do with installing Civil 3D 2010 on a Windows 7 machine before installing Plant 3D 2010 (or any 64-bit version of AutoCAD product).We have installed P3D on 3 Windows 7 boxes and 2 out of the 3 will produce this exact error. The other machine works as expected. After some inspection, I have determined that the one that works had ACA 2010 (64-bit program) installed, then C3D 2010 (32-bit), then P3D 2010 in that sequence. The other 2 had Civil 3D installed before any 64-bit products installed.

Re-installing products (in the "correct"order) will not resolve this issue, but this method worked for me. You will need to goto your deployment install directory for a 64-bit AutoCAD product (..\AdminImage\x64\acad\Program Files\Root\GAC344) and copy the Autodesk.AutoCAD.Interop.dll file that is in there to the GAC on your local computer. (C:\Windows\Assembly\gac_msil\Autodesk.AutoCAD.Interop\18.0.0.0__eed84259d7cbf30b) and replace the Autodesk.AutoCAD.Interop.dll file in there with the one from your deploy folder. I couldn't tell by any means any difference in the 2 files by looking at their properties (same file size, version), but this did the trick for me.

Take a look at the error:

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Autodesk.AutoCAD.Interop.AcadApplication'.
This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{84F323FC-C179-4704-87E7-E3D576C2599E}' failed due to the following error:
No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

If you do a search in your registry for the GUID {84F323FC-C179-4704-87E7-E3D576C2599E}, you will find that it references a Type Library that (do some more digging and you will find) is pathed to @="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Autodesk Shared\\acax18enu.tlb". And as you can see from the location of that AutoCAD 2010 Type Library it is a 32-bit version and hence the "QueryInterface" error. I originally tried to edit registry to correct this error with no luck.

I will be watching Civil 3D 2010 for possible errors now due to the "hack" that I have done, and in the mean time, maybe someone who knows more than I can get to the "real" reason for this error.

Thanks, and hope this works for you. Edited by: RickPatterson on Mar 30, 2010 4:07 AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost