AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Line Numbers (AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014)

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rwittmeier_BMcD
3391 Views, 14 Replies

Duplicate Line Numbers (AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014)

I have been making multiple P&ID's in Plant 3D 2014 and have begun to number the lines. Unfortunately I have come across an issue which won't let me can make two different lines with differing system codes have the same line number. If I go to number the first line the tag sets properly, but when I go to number the other one it removes the previous tag. Not only this but it appears that it groups the separate lines as well.

I have ensured that the property for the line number is set as "String". I have also made sure that the line number property pulls from the target object field.

In a previous project done in Plant 3D 2012 the line numbering was done this way without any issues. It appears that I have the line tag properties set up in the same way and I am not sure if this is a new change in Plant 3D 2014.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
patpat79
in reply to: rwittmeier_BMcD

In pipe line group, the default line number restriction is by target object linenumber only, which means that you cannot have more than one line number ( eg. 100-WR-B2-001 and 200-WS-B2-001) plant 3d won't allow you to use 001 more than once because it is your restriction. If you want to change it, go to pipe line group properties, line number tag format then change the setup depends on your needs. ( restriction as per service, line number, size etc.) or no restriction at all.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 3 of 15
rwittmeier_BMcD
in reply to: patpat79

So do I need to modify the line number tag in the pipe line group properties or delete it?

Message 4 of 15

Did you resolve this issue, blue3308?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Mike

Message 5 of 15
patpat79

You can modify it, or create a new one. Thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 6 of 15

So 2014 won't allow you to keep the default properties and reuse line numbers even with different system codes. I attempted to change the property of the line numbers to something that was linked to each individual line but that resulted in other items not functioning correctly (Off-page connectors, line groups). I ended up just using different line numbers for all lines because I didn't want to continue fixing items because of one property. Not saying that isn't the solution but for my situation the lines didn't have to be numbered a certain way.

Ross Wittmeier, EIT
OnSite Energy and Power
Burns & McDonnell
5511 Capital Center Drive, Suite 450
Raleigh, NC 27606
Direct: (919) 900-1879
Mobile: (910) 512-1283
rwittmeier@burnsmcd.com
www.burnsmcd.com

Proud to be #14 on FORTUNE's 2014 List of 100 Best Companies to Work For
Message 7 of 15
patpat79

Hi blue, don't know how you are doing things, but if your Problem is not yet solved, I am very willing to help you out, just put a snap shot of your pipe line group setup and your produced errors so we can help you much faster. Thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 8 of 15
rwittmeier_BMcD

Since my attempts to resolve the issue didn't seem to be working we are no longer using the same line numbers across systems on my current project. We decided this purely in the interest of time and the fact that there was no specific requirement for line numbering.  

That being said, the issue I experienced was not discovered by any error messages or changing of properties. I had the default setup for P&ID properties and the issue was that whenever two lines with different system codes were given the same line number it grouped them. Which ever line was given the line number last forced its system code on any other line (with the same line number) since they were now automatically grouped. Whenever I changed the line number property to be a target object property it resulted in other items not working (I described this above). 

I was more or less wondering if there was a simple work-around for this issue.

Message 9 of 15
patpat79

Yes I had encountered the same behavior but it was fixed in the last service pack update. Try it. Thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 10 of 15
leemlemon

@patpat79  Can you please explain more? I want to follow.

Message 11 of 15
leemlemon

@patpat79 wrote:
In pipe line group, the default line number restriction is by target object linenumber only, which means that you cannot have more than one line number ( eg. 100-WR-B2-001 and 200-WS-B2-001) plant 3d won't allow you to use 001 more than once because it is your restriction. If you want to change it, go to pipe line group properties, line number tag format then change the setup depends on your needs. ( restriction as per service, line number, size etc.) or no restriction at all.

Can you please explain more? I want to follow.

Message 12 of 15
chris.downing

Please can you explain the proceedure to do this? 

ACADE & PLANT3D Applications Engineer
CAD Training

Standard and bespoke PLANT3D Training and ACAD Training and ACAD ELEC Training

Message 13 of 15
leemlemon
in reply to: leemlemon

Sorry . I didn't see your answer . Thanks patpat79

Message 14 of 15
leemlemon
in reply to: chris.downing

go to pipe line group properties,

line number tag format then change the setup depends on your needs.

1.JPG

Message 15 of 15

It doesn't matter which way you slice the tag format, the problem remains that Plant 3D only accepts 1 unique line number. And if you create an ad-hoc property for the line number, then the off page connector won't work anymore because it requires the line number.

Has anyone found a workaround? Will Autodesk fix this absurd behaviour? Most project require the number to be reused across various services.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost