AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom P&ID dynamic blocks not working once added to palette

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
paulroofener5374
3110 Views, 8 Replies

Custom P&ID dynamic blocks not working once added to palette

Block worked fine when tested in the block editor, but the dynamic functionality does not work once added to the palette. Any thoughts?

Paul

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
md
Participant
in reply to: paulroofener5374

No help, but I am experiencing the same thing. I made a new block for a mixproof valve and I want the nozzles to flip when inserted into an P&ID Drawing. I have added the flip parameter and applied an flip action to it. When I tested it in de the "Test Block" environment it all worked fine. And also when I choose the Insert block command it works fine. But when I add it to a Class and put it on my Toolpalette, then add it to my drawing. When I click on it, it doesn't show the arrow that allows me to flip the block objects.

Can anyone help? I might use a workaround for this but it should work this way somehow.

Regards, Mark

Message 3 of 9
PeterQuinn
in reply to: md

P&ID symbols are similar to dynamic blocks but they are not dynamic blocks. I am pretty sure you can get these actions on P&ID symbols, but I don't know how to do it. I'll see if I can get someone who does to post some more information.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 9
lopezjo
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Asset custom entities may use dynamic block definitions but actions are not bubbled out through the custom entity grips. We internally evaluate the dynamic blocks to use the produced reference as the visual definition of the asset. The primary function of the evaluation is to convert the attribute definitions from a tag format string to the actual value using project data. Dynamic block actions that react to the changed attribute definition value evaluated internally.

If you are looking to have assets with dynamic block grips, it isn't possible. However, actions defined inside the block definition are evaluated but a means to edit the values they are dependent on through the asset instance is not possible.

Jorge Lopez
Software Architect
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9
md
Participant
in reply to: paulroofener5374

So there is no solution to my problem? I do think it would be something to consider to implement in the future, it would make the use of AutoCAD P&ID more interesting. It is strange it is not possible though, especially because both functionalities are available and it would be just a matter to combine them. Wil it be available in the 2011 or 2012 version?

Regards, Mark

Message 6 of 9
rchiasson
in reply to: md

md, I am curious how you created your mixproof valve. I am trying to create one for P&ID, but it seems that the line breaking only occurs through the center of the valve and only attaches to one line. Are you able to insert the valve and have it break two separate lines? The only work around I have found is creating the valve with 2 ports at EndCodes 0 and 180 that are offset from the center line, and then running the pipe to the ports on the valve and linking the segments, though it makes the connection to the pipe, it screws up the To/From fields on the line.

Message 7 of 9

any update on this would be great as i am having the same problems

Message 8 of 9
kcarlsen
in reply to: phil.cooper

We have some AutoCAD Dynamic blocks of P&ID mixer symbols that have a linear parameter with stretch action so the shaft can be stretched after connecting motor symbol. Works great in AutoCAD, but doesn't work when i use blocks for 2019 P&ID block definitions.

Have Dynamic block features been added to Plant P&ID in 2020? 2021? future?

Thank you

Message 9 of 9

You can't use them, they don't work in 2020, nor 2021. Its not something they allow for whatever reason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost