AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUSTOM EQUIPMENT QUESTIONS

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
M!chelle
954 Views, 2 Replies

CUSTOM EQUIPMENT QUESTIONS

I created a 3d solid with a slope bottom for one of my tanks.

When I convert this to equipment, it is not giving me all the same functions a capabilites as using an existing equipment template from P3D.

If I convert my 3d solid to equipment, and go to add nozzles, I can only add nozzles from picking physical points in the model.  This doesn't return a modeled flange nozzle either, but rather a blank spot to pipe out of.  Why?  Also, what happened to the nozzle location box where I can input the angle, length, height etc all in one spot instead of messing around with individual pick points in the model?

If I go to create equipment, new vertical tank, is there a way to add my shape into the choices given under add?  The ones that populate are irrelevant for a slope bottom.

I tried right clicking and saving my custom equipment as a template but again, I don't get the modeled nozzles or the nozzle location dialog box.

Explaining CAD in a message sure is annoying!

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dave.wolfe
in reply to: M!chelle

The convert equipment function was intended to add intelligence to models brought in from other software, which of course would already have their nozzles defined.

While it would  be great to build detailed equipment models, plant 3d isn't there yet.  In this cases I recommend building a solid that represents the bottom of the tank for you to snap to. Then attach the solid to a piece of equipment built from the dialog.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 3
M!chelle
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Thanks for the direction Dave!  I tried adding my modeled solid to the bottom of a P3D tank and it represented the shape fine, but I needed a couple of the nozzles down on the sloped bottom.  I thought I could input a negative nozzle elevation in the dialog, which you can, but it takes it to the center of the P3D tank since it doesnt recognize the attached solid.  I guess an idea or suggestion to add for the next release?

I talked with Drew (ECAD) and he suggested exporting to AutoCAD.  That way I would have all the modeled peices/blocks I needed, I just had to do some editing.  After I exported I joined my two tank pieces into one solid, edited a couple of the Z values on the nozzle blocks (which I already defined size/angle with the equipment builder in P3D before export), blocked all the tank peices, copied the block back over to my original P3D drawing and converted it back to equipment.

Still kind of a round about process but at least the nozzles were represented without having the blank spots or without me having to design each one.

Thought I'd respond to share the process for other viewers fishing through the forums. 

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost