AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Catalog Properties do not show up in Long Description Style editor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
djwebb
950 Views, 6 Replies

Custom Catalog Properties do not show up in Long Description Style editor

So Close!!!!

I have successfully added Catalog Properties, and populated these added properties to a spec via the “check for updates from catalog”.  Unfortunately I am unable to create a Long Description Style that utilizes these user added properties.

Why would I want to do this?

To create a flexible time saving catalog system that quickly allows concatenation of user defined properties.  For example Plant 3D uses an “End Type” of THDM, or PL, but a client would dictate that the end types would be PE, TBE, or TOExPOE, etc...  The addition of these user defined properties into the Catalog would allow us to concatenate these properties to form a long description automatically

Attempted Workflow

1. Add the User Defined Catalog Properties
  2. Update Properties to the Spec
  3. Create a Long Description Style that utilizes these properties

See Screenshots below....

1-AddCatalogProps.png

2-UpdateSpec.png

3-CreateLongDesc.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
patpat79
in reply to: djwebb

Hi, as far as i know, it will not be visible because you will need to add a property "as is" as what you had added in the spec editor. I had made custom properties in the catalog also and those worked great. I am using 2014 version for that matter. Thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 3 of 7
patpat79
in reply to: patpat79

Hi, i had misunderstand the last picture, i though it was the Setup interface but then as i reviewed, it is the Description interface. But still, try what i recommended, I'll test this later so i can help you out. thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 4 of 7
djwebb
in reply to: patpat79

Thanks for the response Pat,

To be clear the last screenshot is from the "Edit long description styles..." dialog box, found in the Spec Editor.  I'm am unclear on what you have recommended, please let me know how your testing goes.  I tested again using the following steps.

1. Open Catalog - open up the out of the box "Asme Pipes and Fittings Catalog.pcat" file
  2. Add Catalog Properties - from the pulldown Catalogs > Modify Catalog Properties, create a property called "UserEndType", field size = 10, field type = text,  add  property to "All Part Groups", select Add button, select OK
  3. Create New Spec - File > New > Create Spec,  name the spec _Test.pspx
  4. Add Catalog Item to new spec - in the ASME catalog, highlight any Pipe and select "Add to Spec"
  5. Add Spec Properties - Within the Spec Editor,  right click  on the newly added pipe, and select "Edit Properties".  Repeat Step 2 exactly, as these user added properties do not automatically propogate through from the Catalog.
  6. Modify Long Description Style - within the spec select "Layout and Settings > Edit long description Styles..."  Select Pipe (left side of dialog box), then select the property pulldown and look for the newly added property "UserEndType" created in step 5.  It does not show up for me  To verify that this property is in fact in the spec, right click on the  pipe, and select edit parts, scroll through the  table to find "UserEndType"

Regards,

Doug Webb

Message 5 of 7
dave.wolfe

I've not seen this working. It's been reported as a bug, and a fix has been requested.  As far as I can tell, the program loads the properties from a spec schema in the installation directory, not the current spec or specs.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 6 of 7
djwebb
in reply to: dave.wolfe

I saw this reply shortly after you posted Dave Wolfe, and meant to respond, oops.  Anyway, thanks for the knowledgable insight.  I will keep my fingers crossed that this gets addressed soon.

Message 7 of 7
OptimusCAD

This is still an issue. I get that I can go back and add properties in the catalogue, but if there's an option to add custom properties in the spec editor, then they should appear in the long description dialogue. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost