AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes Daily when Orbiting View

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
NormJ
480 Views, 12 Replies

Crashes Daily when Orbiting View

These are from today, but this happens consistently every day crashing at least 5 times or more (3 attachments are my limit, posted below). All I'm doing is orbiting my view. Any ideas? Can we get this fixed? Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
NormJ
in reply to: NormJ

Here's 2 more ...

Message 3 of 13
NormJ

A few more that happened just now, incase these error messages help.

Message 4 of 13
dgorsman

More helpful information would be:

- system specs, especially RAM, video card, video RAM

- visual style

- size of model file

- number of active DWG files, loaded XREFs

- any extra programs running e.g. streaming soccer game

- anything else out of the ordinary

- database type (SQL Server?)

- local or network stored project

- WAN, remote desktop, or other non-standard connections

For what its worth, orbit has always been pretty dodgy - the core AutoCAD that Plant3D is designed around isn't designed specifically for rendered 3D viewing like some of the more advanced design programs like Inventor so expectations should be managed appropriately.  For orbit to be reliable in anything other than a basic wireframe requires a substantial video card and modest model content.  Otherwise, Navisworks to the rescue.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 13
NormJ
in reply to: dgorsman

- system specs, especially RAM, video card, video RAM

W7 Pro OS, 32GB Ram, GeForce GTX 670 4GB GDDR5 video card

- visual style

Conceptual

- size of model file

5,000 kb

- number of active DWG files, loaded XREFs

1 DWG, 3 pcg XREFs

- any extra programs running e.g. streaming soccer game

None. Even rebooted and started fresh with nothing else running.

- anything else out of the ordinary

No

- database type (SQL Server?)

No

- local or network stored project

Network stored

- WAN, remote desktop, or other non-standard connections

None of the above

Message 6 of 13
dgorsman

System specs look OK, maybe a bit of overkill.  Try using 3d (or even 2d) wireframe visual style.  I take it one of those "no" answers as you are NOT running SQL Server?  Thats something of a requirement for anything beyond a simple test model.

Message 7 of 13
blorich

Visual Styles!!! That is always an issue! We have had a problem when someone has a large file pushing 30mbs that if they save in conceptual style the drawing will take over 5 minutes to open!  leaving everything in 2d wireframe is the way to go.  And my workstation is top of the line.

Message 8 of 13
NormJ
in reply to: blorich

Thanks guys, I'll give the wireframe a try. Good to know there is a work around this orbiting "bug" issue.

As for overkill ...haha. For Plant3D probably, but not nearly for everything else we do.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 13
dgorsman

If you are running a suite license, run a session of Navisworks Simulate alongside the Plant3D program or try the NWNavigator plug-in.  The full version gives you better control over whats loaded (selection tree, etc.) while the plug-in offers semi-live navigation via switchback.

Message 10 of 13
NormJ
in reply to: dgorsman

Yep, currently running Navisworks on the side. Helps with seeing scan data too - much better than inside Plant3D. Not familiar with the NWNavigator plug-in. I'll run a search and see what it's about. Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 11 of 13
JohnHolder

It happens to me, but not that often. here is the responce I get from autodesk, which is most likely not that useful. considering how often I and most likely most people, adding another command into a simple shft mousebutton rotate is not acceptable. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD...

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Message 12 of 13
NormJ
in reply to: JohnHolder

Thanks John. At least they are aware of the problem. I agree not acceptable. Seems the flawed programming on their end is in the Conceptual Visual Style. Since switching to a new style, it no longer crashes three times for every hour I put in at work each day. 2 days using a different visual style, and so far no more crashes!

Message 13 of 13
dgorsman

Its a mini-Navisworks palette window inside AutoCAD (still draws a Navisworks license unless you are running a suite).  Its been around since the old JetStream days.  Kind of cool system, when you update the Navigator window it generates a temp NWC from your current AutoCAD file and viewpoint, then loads it.  It also allows basic navigation inside the window and has a "switchback" function to set the AutoCAD viewpoint to the same place.  The earlier versions were prone to crashing and since Simulate has a bunch more useful features (like the Search Tree) the Navigator never really caught on here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost