AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous weld numbering

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
BarendJan
2670 Views, 8 Replies

Continuous weld numbering

Hi,

I don't know if this question have been posted already, but I'm trying to find away to let the weld number continue if the Iso is divided over multiple sheets. Till know I wasn't able to get that working or couldn't find where to set it. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Regards and thanks in advance,

Barend-Jan (BJ) van Zijtveld

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Adsk_amitb
in reply to: BarendJan

BJ,

You need to set the Weld Annotations Numbering in the ISO DWG Settings to "Use property from model".

Then each weld in the model needs to be manually set to the number that you want it to be. To do this, hold down Ctrl and select the weld. Then in the properties you can specify the weld number.

Thanks,

- Amit

Message 3 of 9
BarendJan

Hi Amit,

I hope this is not true, my customer has several hundreds of pipe lines with thousands and thousands of welds. I don't see them manually number each weld. Within Isogen (yes I know we don't have that anymore) it was just a setting and it continued numbering over multiple sheets (of course only on the same line number).

Can't there be done anything in the isoconfig.xml, i wasn't able to find it, but maybe somebody else has.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think my customer will be happy with this.

Regards,

Barend-Jan (BJ) van Zijtveld

Message 4 of 9
Adsk_amitb

BJ,

Unfortunately this is not configurable through IsoConfig.xml.

Since you mention that customer has a large number of welds, there is another workaround -

- Open the Plant3d model and enter "DataManager"

- Select "Plant3D project data" from the drop-down list

- Select Weld node and export to Excel

- Open the exported Excel file and you'll see that the last column specifying Weld Number is blank. You can generate the weld numbers in this column and save the file.

- Import it back into Plant3D and click on "Accept all"

- Set the Weld Annotations Numbering in the ISO DWG Settings to "Use property from model".

- Generating iso will create weld lists with unique weld ids.

Let me know if you need more info ...

Thanks,

- Amit

Message 5 of 9
JRPalmer
in reply to: Adsk_amitb

Amitb

I have done that in the past and it kinda works.

The problem I found is that you can give all the welds numbers between 1 and whatever but you can not order them on the spool, or at least I have not found one that does not require double checking every drawing. Please see attached drawing. If you ever have to make a modification (like switching an olet to a tee) to the drawing it assigns a new PnPID which changes it position in the data manager, which means you could accidently give it the wrong number

I was wondering if there was a way that we could display what AutoCAD places as automatic numbers in the weld list either in SQL or in the AutoCAD program. I believe this would be the only way you could properly sort the welds and give them proper numbers.

Message 6 of 9
dinant
in reply to: Adsk_amitb

Has there been any update? I was looking if it was possible to create a kind of TAG number for welds to give them a number.

regards,

Dinant

Message 7 of 9

If someone still or will need a solution for this problem, try this link: 

How do I create sheet-overlapping weld lists with continuous numbering in AutoCAD Plant 3D? (autodes...

Message 8 of 9
Phil-22

We too have encountered this issue. Our method of dealing with it was to assign all the weld marks (along with additional information) in the SQL database, and then push the data to the model. But, there is the issue that the weld marks do not follow a logical sequence sadly. This way though we have a consistent means of eliminating certain letters (I, O, Z, etc), and based on our project configuration we can assign marks based on spool, or isometric sheet, or line number, depending on how that project will be generating drawings.

I have not yet done it, but to resolve the sequencing (to make it prettier) I'll eventually write a stored procedure to iterate through the parts in a grouping, identify a starting point, and then walk port by port to assign the marks to the weld fasteners.

Message 9 of 9
matt.worland

BUBBLEWorx from ECE Design has a tool that allows you to assign weld numbers based on properties in the model, like line number. Simply choose a start number, filter by the properties you want and it will assign weld numbers to the welds in the model.

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Thumbs Up" or "Accept as Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost