AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Character limit in Long Descriptions

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
JoeKay
1142 Views, 19 Replies

Character limit in Long Descriptions

Why is there one? Why is the limit so low if its called "Long Description"? Clients some times have really long detailed descriptions for valves, bolts, etc. and I'm running into this character limit issue. Is there a way around this or a way to edit the limit. Its becoming a hassle when creating Isometerics as the BOM gets cut off at the limit. Then we have to go in an manually edit each description that gets cut off. Please help me extend this limit or give me a good reason why there is such a limit as it is slowing down production. Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
patpat79
in reply to: JoeKay

Can you write 1 of your description? We also have very long description, just want to see how many characters your description have. thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 3 of 20
JoeKay
in reply to: patpat79

BOLT, STUD, 5/8” DIA. X 4 3/4”LONG, ALLOY STEEL, ASTM A193, GRADE B7, C/W TWO (2) ASTM A194,GRADE 2H HEX NUTS AND TWO (2) ASTM F436, HARDENED STEEL WASHERPER BOLT, BOLTS, NUTS AND WASHERS TO BE TEFLON COATED, BLT-103(8 BOLTS PER SET), ASSEMBLED AND TA
Message 4 of 20
JoeKay

its supposed to continue from there and say: BOLT, STUD, 5/8” DIA. X 4 3/4”LONG, ALLOY STEEL, ASTM A193, GRADE B7, C/W TWO (2) ASTM A194,GRADE 2H HEX NUTS AND TWO (2) ASTM F436, HARDENED STEEL WASHERPER BOLT, BOLTS, NUTS AND WASHERS TO BE TEFLON COATED, BLT-103(8 BOLTS PER SET), ASSEMBLED AND TAGGED: 2” ANSI 600, RF
Message 5 of 20
patpat79

Are you using Long description Size?

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 6 of 20
JoeKay

Yes, Long Description Size. It looks like you imported my description. and it cut off at the same place on your iso.
Message 7 of 20
JoeKay

BOLT, STUD, 5/8” DIA. X 4 3/4”LONG, ALLOY STEEL, ASTM A193, GRADE B7, C/W TWO (2) ASTM A194,GRADE 2H HEX NUTS AND TWO (2) ASTM F436, HARDENED STEEL WASHERPER BOLT, BOLTS, NUTS AND WASHERS TO BE TEFLON COATED, BLT-103(8 BOLTS PER SET), ASSEMBLED AND TAGGED: 2” ANSI 600, RF -- This is the description, I think I gave you the cut off version.
Message 8 of 20
patpat79

I've also checked the catalog, and maybe this is the limit that i could get.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 9 of 20
patpat79

I tried to create a custom property in catalog via 2014 version and the max character it accepts is only 255.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 10 of 20
JoeKay

Thanks for looking into this. It does seem to be about a 255 limit. I wish there wasn't. I tried everything from doing the descriptions in Spec Editor, and doing them in Excel and importing them. When you save, they all cut out at 255. It would be great if someone found a work around for this. Or if there is a code in an xml file that can be changed.
Message 11 of 20
PeterQuinn

I'll check on this. Most of our guys are out on break, but I'll see what I can find out.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 20
JoeKay
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Just revisiting this to see if a solution was ever found.
Message 13 of 20
PeterQuinn

No. I checked and it's not possible to have longer fields.

Could you add a second description field (Description2 or something) and split up the text? It could be concatenated in reports. Annoying, I know.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 20
JoeKay
in reply to: PeterQuinn

That's an interesting idea. I'm more concerned about the having the BOM table on the Isometrics be correct with my full descriptions. If there was a way to have 2 separate descriptions like you said but then have them in one cell in a table, or even in 2 cells and be able to merge them? Just trying to automate as much of the process as possible. Thanks again for looking into it.
Message 15 of 20
JoeKay

Has a solution been found for this yet? Is there still a character limit in Plant 15? We did a large project with many Isometric sheets and this was a huge issue. Some of our item/BOM descriptions are long, over 255, and manually copying and/or editing the Iso BOMS is just not an option when you have hundreds of Isos. We cant be the only firm using Plant 3D and have long detailed descriptions on Items, mainly valves & bolts. Work arounds are not going to work when we have many large projects going on at once. Thanks for any insight.
Message 16 of 20
mikael.santospj

Hi everyone!!! Any progress on this issue??

I am facing the same problem with our client descriptions.

Plant 3D 2024

Thanks

Message 17 of 20

I believe it is a windows limitation not a software limitation. You can test this by changing the character limit on your windows machine.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-long-path-to-allow-files-with-long-na...

Message 18 of 20

Hi Michiel, thanks
But i didn't work on my machine
Message 19 of 20
DVaquand
in reply to: mikael.santospj

Hello

If we look at the SQLite databases of specification files and catalog files we can see that the size of the "PartFamilyLongDesc" and "PartSizeLongDesk" properties are declared on 255 characters. With the "SQLite Expert Pro" application (for example ) we can change this value to 512 characters.

In the "Piping.dcf" file we find these same properties at a size of 255 characters. We can change this value to 512 characters but in the object property, in the data manager, in the ortho nomenclature and in the iso nomenclature, this size remains blocked at 255 characters!!!

I think this maximum size of 255 characters is fixed in the Plant 3D application.

LongDescription _1.pngLongDescription _2.pngLongDescription _3.png

DVaquand_0-1702471655948.png

DVaquand_1-1702471677374.png

== French ==

Si on regarde les bases de données SQLite des fichiers spécifications et des fichiers catalogues on peut s"apercevoir que la taille des propriétés "PartFamilyLongDesc" et "PartSizeLongDesk" sont déclarées sur 255 caractères. Avec l'application "SQLite Expert Pro" (par exemple) on peut changer cette valeur pour la passer à 512 caractères.

Dans le fichier "Piping.dcf" on retrouve ces mêmes propriétés à la taille de 255 caractères. On peut changer cette valeur en 512 caractères mais dans la propriété de l'objet, dans le gestionnaire de données, dans la nomenclature ortho et dans la nomenclature iso, cette taille reste bloquée à 255 caractères !!!

Je pense que cette taille maxi de 255 caractères est fixée en dur dans l'application Plant 3D.

Cordialement
Dominique VAQUAND
www.dovaq.fr

Si mon message propose une solution, veuillez cliquer sur "Accepter comme solution"
If my post offers a solution, please click "Accept as Solution"

Cette publication vous a-t-elle été utile ? N’hésitez pas à attribuer la mention J’aime à cette publication.
Avez-vous obtenu la réponse à votre question ? Cliquez ensuite sur le bouton ACCEPTER LA SOLUTION.

EESignature

Message 20 of 20
mikael.santospj

yes, absolutely

I did try it by changing directly on the piping.dcf, the varchar size.

I didn't work. I also openned a case , still waiting their answer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost