AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Editor - Advanced Editing Table, Bug

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
awerning
675 Views, 5 Replies

Catalog Editor - Advanced Editing Table, Bug

I'm using Plant 2012 64bit on Win7 64 bit.

In the Spec editor I switch to the "Catalog Editor Tab" and then duplicated a schedule 40 pipe (part family) and changed the schedule of the new part family to STD WT schedule.  After updating the port schedules (on the general properties tab), I switched to the "Sizes" tab to update the "Long Description (Size)" field for each of the new components.  Rather than click through each size one at a time in the form view, I clicked on the "Show Advanced Editing Table" button.

Observations when using the Advanced Editing Table: (Bugs)

1) If I click into the "Long Description (Size)" field (so that I am in text edit mode) and then move my mouse anywhere off the data grid (the "Advanced Editing Table") it will end the text editing of that cell.  So, essentially I need to make sure my mouse is still floating over the grid somewhere before I start typing or it will end my ability to edit the text in that cell.

2) If I click into the "Long Description (Size)" field (so that I am in text edit mode) and then (minding #1 above) edit the "40" to be "STD WT" (per my original goal), I then highlight the "STD WT" and then do a "copy" (either "right-click->copy" or "cntl-c") in order to save it to the clip board.  I then go to the next record and after clicking into the "Long Description (Size)" field (so that I am in text edit mode...again, minding #1 above), I highlight the "40" in order to paste the copied information.  If I do a "right-click->paste" it seems to work fine (only replaces the highlighted text), BUT if I do a "cntl-v" it will clear the ENTIRE field and replace it with the clip board contents (i.e. doesnt mind the highlighted text...just replaces the whole field no matter what).

Can someone verify they get the same results?

(please specify current plant AND OS version when replying)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ybogdanov
in reply to: awerning

The first issue I don't have in my Spec Editor instalation.

And the second issue it was in the Spec Editor 2011, but in the new release (2012) the ctrl+v comand is not work in the table, that's why is imposible to wrong. To use ctrl+v you need to press two times in the exist value, to enter in the modification state.

You sure that you use New Spec Editor? 

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 3 of 6
awerning

Yury,

Please specify Plant version (including 32bit or 64bit) and OS version (32bit or 64 bit).  I know you say that you use Plant 2012, but not all 2012's are equal.  As an experienced programmer, I can assure you that this is of utmost importance.  Without it, saying "it works for me" doesn't mean much.

The last issue I had, you replied and assured me it worked for you just fine.  Then an Autodesk guy came in behind you and verified the problem I was having and gave me a solution (when he tested it on the same version of Plant and the same version of OS...specifying 32bit or 64bit).  Not sure what is different...but the fact that an Autodesk guy could reproduce it obviously means that you are not testing with the same thing that he and I are.  You can keep arguing about it if you wish, but I think it has already been proven otherwise.

Message 4 of 6
ybogdanov

awerning escribió:

Yury,

Please specify Plant version (including 32bit or 64bit) and OS version (32bit or 64 bit).  I know you say that you use Plant 2012, but not all 2012's are equal.  As an experienced programmer, I can assure you that this is of utmost importance.  Without it, saying "it works for me" doesn't mean much.

The last issue I had, you replied and assured me it worked for you just fine.  Then an Autodesk guy came in behind you and verified the problem I was having and gave me a solution (when he tested it on the same version of Plant and the same version of OS...specifying 32bit or 64bit).  Not sure what is different...but the fact that an Autodesk guy could reproduce it obviously means that you are not testing with the same thing that he and I are.  You can keep arguing about it if you wish, but I think it has already been proven otherwise.

Sorry, I turn to revise it in my Spec Editor, and it's true that if the mous is move the table is regerative (update). The best form to write is enter to Edit mode (doble clic). But I think that is not big prolem, because normaly if the keybord is used the mouse is don't move... it's only my opinion. Because when I use the Spec Editor don't realize of this issue.

I use 64bit windows system.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 5 of 6
Rich.O.3d

Either way, the editing tools are completely rubish....what happened to shift / ctrl click to modify multiple cells at once or any of the other editing tools available in any of the spreadsheet/database table editing programs currently out there.....the spec/cat editor is something i would expect to see in a free (or cheap as chips) program aimed at the non-profesional market...not what you should be getting for a 10-15 thousand dollar profesional software suite.

I hope the usability and cui improves dramaticaly over the next couple of releases.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 6 of 6
RSFAdsk

I notice I the behavior on both counts in AP3D 2012 Spec Editor on Win7x64.  Mouse-out of the table causes cell edit to terminate with save (as if hitting Shift-Enter).  I also see that CTRL-V replaces entire cell, not just text selection.  This was not a problem in 2011.  I dont think its related in this case, but x64 and WIN7 have caused different experienced for different users.  Especially with regard to Run as administrator privileges.  I will log this issue.

I also agree that some standard spreadsheet editing behaviors, particularly with regard to multi-select are lacking.  Not trying to make excuses here, but the the specialized database underneath disconnects us from many of the editing features we would normally get for free in a table interface.    If you would perfer to work more directly in a spreadsheet interface, using Excel directly, I encourage you to look at the catalog Builder Beta here http://www.autodesk.com/plantcatalogbuilder.

Richard Frank
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost