AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basics of Plant 3D

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
MarcoDaniel
695 Views, 4 Replies

Basics of Plant 3D

Hello everybody!

I'm a software developer and i don't know anything about Plant3D, but i have a project and i need to conect with plant3D!!

I would be appreciated if anyone could explain to me the next doubts:

How are the files organised in Plant3D? Is there a root file and dependencies of this root when you do a project?

As far as I know plant3D only works with *.dwg files, but do the files connect with each other?

And what is the difference between sheets and projects? are they connected somehow?

The main question is, is there any root file and dependencies when you do a project with Plant3D?

This questions might be strange for a plant 3D developer, but i realy need help on this..Thanks

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PeterQuinn
in reply to: MarcoDaniel

Hi,

Even though these are meant for users and not developers, you might start with the Getting Started videos on Plant Exchange: http://autocad.autodesk.com/?nd=plant_tips_tutorials

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
MarcoDaniel
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Thank you, it helped me to understand the basics.

Regards

Message 4 of 5
dave.wolfe
in reply to: MarcoDaniel

Go to here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=15460551

and download the sdk's.  They show how to get a current project's information.  

Because of the newness of Plant, I STRONGLY recommend being on ADN to ask them questions.  They are very timely with getting samples and getting an idea of where to head.  If you can't get on ADN, head over to here: http://adndevblog.typepad.com/  They have posted several examples of questions I've asked on the ADN site which pertain to Plant.

The root file in the structure is the project.xml which is stored in the main folder of the project.  Plant has an entire directory structure to support project information.  The databases are sqlite by default, but SQL Server can be used as well.

You can connect to the databases via the api, the api handles retrieving structure information and forming the queries necessary.  A snapshot of the project data is stored within the drawing file, I'm not sure if the data is available via the api or not.

Sheets refer to paperspace layout tabs (standard AutoCAD definition).  The project is the organization of files and folders required for the design.  Projects can include related files of any type.  The sdk includes the related files you'll need, make sure you follow standard AutoCAD api procedure and do not try to copy the dlls locally when building.  Plant uses a lot of other .Net dlls, you can use methods and functions found in them, but they are not supported and may be subject to change in the future.

Please mark my post as the answer if it answers your question. Marking answers helps other find solutions faster. Thanks!

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
MarcoDaniel
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Thanks for the information dave!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost