AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Valve Tagging Problem

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
STEPHANBRADLEY7243
1411 Views, 3 Replies

Basic Valve Tagging Problem

OK,

I have searched everywhere and can't figure out what we are doing wrong.  We have used Plant 3D for several years, but now we are getting serious about using all of the features since we have moved to 2014.

We have P&ID's all done with all valves / instruments / equipment / etc. tagged.  When we place them in the model and try to assign a tag number as existing equipment, there are no tag numbers in the existing equipment pull-down list.

When I open the P&ID, the data manager shows all of the valves with their tags, so I know they exist in the database.

I suspect this is a simple set-up mistake, but I can't seem to find the correct search phrase to find the answer anywhere!

Thanks,

Stephan

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Does anyone have thoughts on this one - seems to me that I must be making a simple mistake?
Message 3 of 4
bgerig
in reply to: STEPHANBRADLEY7243

If I am understanding you right you are trying to use the tags that are on your P&ID drawings in your Plant 3d model. If this is what you are trying to accomplish, then you are looking in the wrong place for the tags. The existing tags you have shown in your attached screen shot are for the tags that exist in your 3d model only. To access the tags from your P&ID you must be in a 3D drawing and you can click on your P&ID line list tool. This will bring up another window that will allow you to choose which P&ID drawing you want to use and then underneath will list all of your line numbers and under each line number will exist your valve tags on your P&ID's. If you have the P&ID classes correctly mapped to your specs and your Plant 3d classes then you should be able to place items in your model directly from there. This is the only way I know to use the P&ID info in your 3d model. Otherwise it is just manually typing in your tags on the 3d side and if you do it right valadation should make the connection. Please mark this as a solution if it is. If not I hope someone else chimes in and answers your question.

Brady Gerig
Shambaugh and Son
Message 4 of 4
STEPHANBRADLEY7243
in reply to: bgerig

It seems you are absolutely correct, but that procedure does not seem to work for items already in the model. So, if I have a valve already in the model and I want to tag it with a valve tag from a P&ID, then I have to type it manually - right?

I am surprised to find out that the "existing valve" list as shown in my attachment above does not reference the entire project database so I can pick the existing valve tag.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost