AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation on Ortho drgs - ie add pipe elevations etc

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
MOLGRAND
5204 Views, 19 Replies

Annotation on Ortho drgs - ie add pipe elevations etc

Hi,

Is it possible to annotate a component ie pipe with the real world point ie Elevation, Northing & Easting etc - I can't seem to find where or how to do this

Help would be appreciated

Thanks

Gary

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
DJPiper
in reply to: MOLGRAND

Yes its possible. you will need to create a new annotation style and a new block under the Pipe Run Component Class Setting.

for CL Elevation of pipe you can use The class property "Position Z". and maybe add some prefix text on it. (ex CL EL.)

As for the Northing and Easting, Position Y and Position X should do it.  but for now its inconsistent. sometimes it can give correct value but most of the times, the wrong ones. at least in my machine,  but Position Z is always right.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

AP3D2011

Metric-Inch Set up

Message 3 of 20
MOLGRAND

Hi,

Thanks for the assistance again all works fine. Is there a way to override the orientation of the text - at the moment it is set to orientate to match the piperun.

Thanks

Message 4 of 20
DJPiper

im not sure if there is one, but for now, i'm doing it manually , i just use the text grip then right click, then choose the rotate option from the pop up menu. the good thing is once i made an update to the view, the orientation is being kept also even if theres a change in text value

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

AP3D 2011

Metric - Inch setup

Message 5 of 20
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: DJPiper

when you hit the edit annotation button, the bottom item (in 'other properties') sets the orientation of the annotation. You can force to vert or horizontal or aligned or orthogonal

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 6 of 20
thebearjed
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Can this be modified to give the elevation in feet and inches. i get a decimal format which we do not use.

Message 7 of 20
MOLGRAND

Hi,
I have a small issue with the elevation setting tag for the ortho drg - ie when I do the elevation tag it reads exactly from the model & sometimes it ends-up as a few dec places - see attached. How can this be forced to round-up to a preset dec place - I have tried changing the drg units - your help would be appreciated. It can be manually changed, but this is not the solution I need

Thanks
Gary
Message 8 of 20
aiacono

Hi.

My solutions are to set a fixed lenght on define Expression.

Go to Annotation block editor and open the "Assign Annotation Format" windows, set value on "Target.Object.Position Z and after see the attached file "Elevation format".

Final results on attached file "CL ELEVATION RESULTS".

Bye. 

Package Engineer
BELLELLI ENGINEERING S.P.A.
ITALY
www.bellellieng.com
Message 9 of 20
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: aiacono

With the above details, we set the elevation in the annotion. However, while fix the no. of characters it we find an issue.

We fixed the number of characters to 5, now it is showing a elevation 70mm as 00070, which doesn't look nice. We also don't like to show a elevation as 70.030.

Any solution is there at present to show as 70 without decimals aswell as without adding 0's before.

Message 10 of 20
JasonDavis73
in reply to: thebearjed

How do we get the elevations to display in feet and inches.

As an example I have a drawing with an elevation of 4048.66098

I would really like it to display as 337'-4 11/16"

Is it possible to do this??

Regards,

Jason

Message 11 of 20
ursulasadiq

So yes, you can create an annotation that shows feet & inches.  It involves

1. creating a new field in the database,
  2. creating an annotation calling this field, and
  3. creating a trigger to populate this field with the formated text.

(Actually, you create 2 triggers, one for creating the text the first time, one for updates if you make changes)

My collegue Dag Austrheim in Oslo created the script.  Attached are the details.  This is for SQLLite projects!  If you have SQLExpress, the code would be slightly different (says Dag), but you should be able to adapt from the attached sample.

code is also attached as a TXT file for easier cutting/pasting.  Read the PDF first!

Message 12 of 20
JasonDavis73
in reply to: ursulasadiq

Thanks for the information, however I am still having some problems.

See attachment.

I am not getting any values coming out.

On the first page of Dag Austrheim's pdf, the 3 bullet points.  Are they done through the piping.dcf file or are they done through project manager.  I'm thinking that I have not done something right here.

I followed the Trigger setup as shown but I don't need TOP and BOP so I left those ones out.

Regards,

Message 13 of 20
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: JasonDavis73

Hey Jason,

If you use ordinate dimensions for your elevations in an imperial project, they will already be in feet and inches.

I showed you how to do it on the onesteel job we did 2 years ago.

ps (if you want to add the elevations to plan views with the annotation you are building) you are not using SQLite or Express, you are using enterprise edition full SQL you may need to modify the trigger code as ursula suggested.

Rich.O

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 14 of 20
EricNyh

@ursulasadiq wrote:

So yes, you can create an annotation that shows feet & inches.  It involves

1. creating a new field in the database,
  2. creating an annotation calling this field, and
  3. creating a trigger to populate this field with the formated text.

(Actually, you create 2 triggers, one for creating the text the first time, one for updates if you make changes)

My collegue Dag Austrheim in Oslo created the script.  Attached are the details.  This is for SQLLite projects!  If you have SQLExpress, the code would be slightly different (says Dag), but you should be able to adapt from the attached sample.

code is also attached as a TXT file for easier cutting/pasting.  Read the PDF first!

So I was playing around with this routine and it does work.  My question is how can you set it up so that it'll reduce down the fractions?  For example, for 0.75" it shows 12/16" rather than 3/4"

Message 15 of 20
ursulasadiq
in reply to: EricNyh

Just looked at this again, and yes, the "/16" part is hardcoded. I have not programmed for quite some time (years actually, unless you count Excel geeking), so I can't really tell you how to code around this. Hopefully someone who knows SLQ coding can chime in here and help out. My guess is you need to CASE statement the value of CAST(16*(12*(new."Position Z"/12-CAST(new."Position Z"/12 as INT))-CAST(12*(new."Position Z"/12-CAST(new."Position Z"/12 as INT)) as INT)) as INT) And then for the case of 12 you would output 3/4, and for the case of 11 you would output 11/16, and for the case of 10 you would output 5/8, etc. Any SQL wizards out there who can help out here? Ursula
Message 16 of 20
EricNyh

Yea those directions above (from Dag) seem to create fractions where none exist, like 0/16".  I'm thinking the PDO Extended Fields plug-in may be where I should be focusing my time.

Message 17 of 20
wcsquiresiv

using this thread and:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/Elevation-in-ORTHOVIEW/td-p/3172994

and this internet page about the CASE function

http://sqlite.awardspace.info/syntax/sqlitepg09.htm

I have been able to get metric and imperial(with reduced fractions) projects to update existing data and trigger filling out BOP COP & TOP columns in the PipeRunComponent table of Plant3D 2014 piping.dcf files.

Attached are text files of my scripts (in the zip file).  Note that I used SQLite Expert Personal as recommended by Dave Wolfe of ECAD, Inc.

http://www.pdoteam.com/2012/09/changing-part-familes-in-the-autocad-plant-3d-spec-editor/

Using SQLite Expert Personal, the "create trigger" script didn't work for me, but I was able to use the user interface to add the triggers to EngineeringItems and PipeRunComponent.

The basic procedure is: select the table, select "Design" tab, select "Triggers" tab, click "Add", and fill out the dialog box.  See attached screen shot.

With this system of populating the BOP, COP, & TOP, I have noticed that whether you are adding new pipe or relocating existing pipe, the BOP, COP, & TOP don't repopulate until you save the drawing.  This must be when the piping.dcf file gets written to.

I have a question to ask.

I have created 3 template projects (Imperial, Metric, & Mixed Metric) to copy settings from when starting new projects.  I would like to set Plant3D up so that when I start a project with these templates, the triggers are already built into the piping.dcf file.  (I don't want to have to put the triggers into each new project "manually").

I started by creating a new project and copying settings from a project that had these triggers.  The piping.dcf file for the new project did not yet have either a PipeRunComponent table or an EngineeringItems table.  After creating a Plant 3D drawing and inserting a piece of pipe, those tables were put into the piping.dcf file, but no triggers.  This tells me that copying settings when starting new projects does not copy settings from the piping.dcf file.

I am hoping that when a new project is started, Plant3D is copying a piping.dcf file from some default file.

If it is, where is this file located?

I would like to try to add to it empty PipeRunComponent and EngineeringItems tables that have the triggers and see if that works.

If there is no default file, any ideas on how else might I accomplish having these triggers put into new projects automatically?

Thanks

Message 18 of 20
EricNyh
in reply to: wcsquiresiv

Interesting. You were able to get by the problem of the fractions not reducing down? For example, showing 8/16" rather than 1/2".
Message 19 of 20
wcsquiresiv

Yes, it was arduous. I used the CASE function to tell the database to return "1/2"" when the remainder was 8. There are 16 different cases, one for each integer 0 through 15.
Message 20 of 20

Hi Arun,

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  I need to have CL Elevations coming in with just 2 decimal places.  I currently have 9!!

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost