AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 1 of 11 (1,043 Views)

annotation leader

1043 Views, 10 Replies
07-17-2011 09:52 PM

Hi,

When I place an annotation on a drawing, the leader draws to the middle of the annotation.

Is it possible to have the annotations behave like normal autocad leaders...bottom of top line, etc

see attached for current results (even if you grip edit the leader locations, they revert back to the centre if you update your views.

Cheers

Rich.O

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 2 of 11 (1,025 Views)

Re: annotation leader

07-19-2011 12:03 AM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

GODAM,

these leaders are painfull.

When placing an annotation, when I get to the prompt about picking the location of the leader, no matter where i pick, the leader is placed from the centre of the object to the middle centre of the annotation text. I can grip edit the leader to the correct position but they keep jumping back to the original positions whenever a view is updated.

Is this a bug, is there a fix.

I cant be the only one thats come across this.

CAD Management 101:
Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 3 of 11 (1,017 Views)

07-19-2011 06:32 PM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

and what about multiple segment leaders...I can only get plant to put in a single leader line...what about complex drawings where i need the leader to follow a path to clear other objects between the item being annotated and the location available to place the text

CAD Management 101:
Alumni
EileenForan
Message 4 of 11 (1,008 Views)

07-20-2011 02:01 PM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Hi:

Sorry for your frustration over the annotation leaders. I can't offer a resolution, but I will pass this on to our folks on the Plant team. I hope someone will be able to help you soon.

Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned.

Eileen

Eileen Foran
Community Program Manager
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Employee
raj.inugala
Message 5 of 11 (981 Views)

07-21-2011 10:42 AM in reply to: EileenForan

Hello Rich,

I am looking into your issue. WIll let you know if I find a feasible work-around.

Raj.

Employee
raj.inugala
Message 6 of 11 (974 Views)

07-21-2011 02:25 PM in reply to: raj.inugala

Hello Rich,

After looking into the annotation feature, here is what I found:

Issue # 1: When I place an annotation on a drawing, the leader draws to the middle of the annotation.

Solution: You can edit the block definition of the annotation that you are using to change where the leader is drawn to. By default, the annotation text in the block is aligned to "Middle Center". Changing the "Justify" property to "Bottom Left" will draw the leader to the bottom-left of the annotation. Please let me know if you need help on how to do this.

Issue # 2: I can grip edit the leader to the correct position but they keep jumping back to the original positions whenever a view is updated.

Answer: The leaders are automatically regenerated every time you update the view. Since we currently do not honor user's 'leader' changes, they are overwritten on every update. I will go ahead and forward this to the product management team as wish-list item for our future release.

Issue # 3: What about multiple segment leaders? I can only get plant to put in a single leader line.

Answer: In AutoCAD Plant 3D 2011, we only support simple one-segment leader. I will forward this to our product management team as well.

Thanks,

Raj.

Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 7 of 11 (967 Views)

07-21-2011 04:11 PM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

thanks Eileen & Raj,

Ive found that if you unlock the location of the attribute in the block, then you can place the annotation so the leader is located where you want it, then by using one of the grips on the text other than the texts middlecentre grip then the text can be positioned where its required. If i do this, then the leaders stay located even after an updated.

You can even fudge a jogged leader...locate text using grip as noted then just draw a line from the end of the leader over to the text

Not ideal, but will get me by untill 2012 is relaesed. Annotations would be so much better if the multileader tool was used to drive the annotations.

CAD Management 101:
Mentor
EricNyh
Message 8 of 11 (639 Views)

03-05-2013 07:13 AM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

So we are at version 2013, has the leader issue gotten any better?

Active Contributor
BSchwartzkopf
Message 9 of 11 (147 Views)

08-26-2014 11:03 AM in reply to: EricNyh

Has this been resolved in 2014?

Mentor
TRdesigner82
Message 10 of 11 (140 Views)

08-26-2014 12:04 PM in reply to: BSchwartzkopf

Nope

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.