AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annotation leader

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
Rich.O.3d
6329 Views, 32 Replies

annotation leader

Hi,

When I place an annotation on a drawing, the leader draws to the middle of the annotation.

Is it possible to have the annotations behave like normal autocad leaders...bottom of top line, etc

see attached for current results (even if you grip edit the leader locations, they revert back to the centre if you update your views.

Cheers

Rich.O

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

GODAM,

these leaders are painfull.

When placing an annotation, when I get to the prompt about picking the location of the leader, no matter where i pick, the leader is placed from the centre of the object to the middle centre of the annotation text. I can grip edit the leader to the correct position but they keep jumping back to the original positions whenever a view is updated.

Is this a bug, is there a fix.

I cant be the only one thats come across this.

CAD Management 101:
Message 3 of 33
Rich.O.3d

and what about multiple segment leaders...I can only get plant to put in a single leader line...what about complex drawings where i need the leader to follow a path to clear other objects between the item being annotated and the location available to place the text

CAD Management 101:
Message 4 of 33
EileenForan

Hi:

Sorry for your frustration over the annotation leaders. I can't offer a resolution, but I will pass this on to our folks on the Plant team. I hope someone will be able to help you soon.

Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned.

Eileen

Eileen Foran
Community Program Manager
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 33
raj.inugala
in reply to: EileenForan

Hello Rich,

I am looking into your issue. WIll let you know if I find a feasible work-around.

Raj.

Message 6 of 33
raj.inugala
in reply to: raj.inugala

Hello Rich,

After looking into the annotation feature, here is what I found:

Issue # 1: When I place an annotation on a drawing, the leader draws to the middle of the annotation.

Solution: You can edit the block definition of the annotation that you are using to change where the leader is drawn to. By default, the annotation text in the block is aligned to "Middle Center". Changing the "Justify" property to "Bottom Left" will draw the leader to the bottom-left of the annotation. Please let me know if you need help on how to do this.

Issue # 2: I can grip edit the leader to the correct position but they keep jumping back to the original positions whenever a view is updated.

Answer: The leaders are automatically regenerated every time you update the view. Since we currently do not honor user's 'leader' changes, they are overwritten on every update. I will go ahead and forward this to the product management team as wish-list item for our future release.

Issue # 3: What about multiple segment leaders? I can only get plant to put in a single leader line.

Answer: In AutoCAD Plant 3D 2011, we only support simple one-segment leader. I will forward this to our product management team as well.

Thanks,

Raj.

Message 7 of 33
Rich.O.3d

thanks Eileen & Raj,

Ive found that if you unlock the location of the attribute in the block, then you can place the annotation so the leader is located where you want it, then by using one of the grips on the text other than the texts middlecentre grip then the text can be positioned where its required. If i do this, then the leaders stay located even after an updated.

You can even fudge a jogged leader...locate text using grip as noted then just draw a line from the end of the leader over to the text

Not ideal, but will get me by untill 2012 is relaesed. Annotations would be so much better if the multileader tool was used to drive the annotations.

CAD Management 101:
Message 8 of 33
EricNyh

So we are at version 2013, has the leader issue gotten any better?

Message 9 of 33
BSchwartzkopf
in reply to: EricNyh

Has this been resolved in 2014?

Message 10 of 33

Nope

Message 11 of 33
Slepe
in reply to: TRdesigner82

It would also be nice if leafer would move automatically left or right when you are placing annotation. It's little bit irrotating to move them seperatly and when update is done you ahve to do it again.

This should not be too difficoult because every other program can do this

Message 12 of 33
viet_protocad
in reply to: Slepe

If I can offer my humble opinion, i've found a decent (though not yet perfect) workaround. You'll have to get into the block editor of the annotation tags, however.

Looking at the issue, most tags with leaders will look like this with the leader going straight to the middle of the text. yuck!

photo-1.PNG

But if you go into the block editor of the project settings, you'll find that the leader will always originate from the origin.

photo-2.PNG

So as my workaround, I changed the justify to "left center" then moved the text over 0.25 inches, then drew an 1/8" line starting from the origin.

photo-3.PNG

photo-4.PNG

Once I do that, I save and close out the block.

The leader will go to the origin still, but since the text has already shifted to the right in the block itself, it should always insert correctly.

photo-5.PNG

Obviously, this is a workaround and its not truly dynamic. For example if you move the tag to the far left, the leader won't flip to the right side. However, we really could simply repeat this workaround but the process mirrored to have leaders connecting to the right of the annotation. Its not a perfect workaround, but it does look a lot nicer than the out-of-the-box configuration.

photo-6.PNG

Anywho, I hope this helps people out.

Thanks!

Viet

Message 13 of 33
rr2013
in reply to: viet_protocad

Hi,

I know this is an old post but I just wanna know if there's any steps on how to edit the defaut leader for annotations? I want to change its lineweight and its arrowhead. So users will no longer manually edit the leaders every now and then.

Thanks

R

Message 14 of 33
viet_protocad
in reply to: rr2013

That, fortunately, has a very easy solution. Look at the properties of the leader and pay attention to the style.

Then use the DIMSTYLE command and then you can customize dimensions and leaders in the entire drawing. That's all there is to it!

Message 15 of 33
RichO
in reply to: TRdesigner82

and here we are 7 years later and this still hasnt been addressed

why the heck cant the annotations be made as multileaders and why can the leader edits not be honored ... im trying to show balloons on pipe assembly and the balloon will only draw towards the centre of mass which is actually behind a flange so the balloon looks like its pointing to the flange not the valve (due to a weight arm on the valve) 

the annotation and ortho section of plant is next to useless

Message 16 of 33
m.bevers
in reply to: RichO

@RichO wrote:

and here we are 7 years later and this still hasnt been addressed

This expression of frustration is very recognisable...

Here I find myself using Plant 2017, trying to get proper/usable ortho annotations and while doing so I'm stumbling upon ancient threads where other people are having the exact same questions.

What I'm wondering now is if I should put effort in this, or are the annotation issues, listed below, finally solved in Plant 2019? Because if they are it would save me a lot of time strolling the internet for answers...

Ortho annotation options I'd like to see available in P3D:

1. Easy option to choose from annotation with or without leader
  2. Option to choose leader position (left, center, right), if possible just like regular leaders
  3. Annotation background mask availability
Message 17 of 33
BSchwartzkopf
in reply to: m.bevers

Rich,

I do not understand why some of these "issues" can't be fixed after many years. I am starting to feel Plant 3D is being handled the exact same way AutoPlant got handled many years ago. Autodesk has a decent product here but there is no focus on fixing silly issues like the leader issue or develop specs for tubing and compression fittings that every plant in the world use. It feels to me that they are more focused on "new" exciting features rather than fix the old issues that still plague the product from day one.

Message 18 of 33

The real problem here is that our companies keep buying this product. It isn't the best but for the most part it works. It's cheaper than most so corporate likes it.

If Autodesk is able to get away with not fix things that we've been asking them to fix for many years but still sell the product, it really isn't beneficial for them to fix it. They need a new "selling point" every year so they add things that we don't need and haven't asked for. They can't say "you know that thing you've been asking us to do for 7 years but we've been ignoring you about, well, we finally fixed it", so they don't.

Message 19 of 33

AND A FEW MORE YEARS ROLL BY AND I STILL CANT ANNOTATE MY DRAWINGS
HELLLLLOOOOOOO IS THERE ANYBODY HOME
(I AM Rich.O.3d 🙂 ) one of my several accounts over the years because no one at autodesk understands technology and how to run a forum

Message 20 of 33
jabpascua

Hello, 

I cant help myself laughing over this post, but im here also to find solutions for the leader that is not showing when i try to annotate in orthomode, im using 2019 version.

jabpascua_0-1638756681917.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost