AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actuator attachment to valve body ???

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ZackPB
774 Views, 2 Replies

Actuator attachment to valve body ???

I'm currently working with Plant3D 2014, P&ID. We had done a fairly extensive modifications to the "Intelligent symbols" library available in the P&ID portion of this program by adding our own library and database fields both in the projStyle.dwg and "Project Manager" interface. One issue that I'm having trouble with is the location of the actuator, or specifically how it attaches to the valve body. I understand the basepoint placement in the dynamic block configuration for both of the individual symbols (that are required in the "control valve" configuration) and how it works in the intelligent environment when placed in the drawing. Both dynamic block types (all of our valve bodies and actuators) and the symbol configuration settings for both of these types are correct but when I change a basic valve symbol to a control valve or select control valve symbol from the palette, the actuator stem gets placed inside of the valve body, snapping to the basepoint of that valve type and the portion of the actuator stem that is inside of the valve body is not masked. The only way I can at this point change this is to create duplicate valve actuator dynblock references with different base points on the bottom of the actuator stem to fit different valve body geometries.

Is there a better way to do something like this?

Could I configure P&ID settings for the control valve symbol and dynblock reference to snap the actuator basepoint to the top of the valve body?

Or, could I configure the actuator stems to mask out the portion of the actuator stem that is inside of the valve body?

I understand that individuals will ask questions such as "Did you add the correct attachment points and name them correctly in all of your respective symbols/blocks?", "Do you have correct "Substitution" and "Bitwise" settings?", or "Is your basepoint on the actuator stem on the bottom?", to help trouble shoot the issues - yes, yes I have!

Thank you,

Zack

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BKikawa
in reply to: ZackPB

I'm experiencing the same issue but in Plant 2017.  Did you ever find a solution?

Message 3 of 3
BKikawa
in reply to: BKikawa

My solution was to edit the block on wide bodies valves like ball valves, plug valves, etc. with a wipeout.  Just make sure the wipeout is placed behind the valve lines and it will hide actuator stem when you place it as a control valve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost