AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Orbit causes too many crashes

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
EricNyh
2455 Views, 11 Replies

3D Orbit causes too many crashes

How are you supposed to navigate around your model if everytime you use the ORBIT command you are afraid the computer will crash?!?

I've turned off auto-target (or whatever it's called) per the recommendations, but with 95% of my crashes, the Orbit command is active in the command line.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jabowabo
in reply to: EricNyh

What visual style are you using? Any of the 3d styles besides wireframe will freeze most systems I think. I have a quadro 2000 and get best results with Wireframe (not 2d wireframe) and Shaded (no outlines). Also turning off hardware acceleration helps for me.
Message 3 of 12
EricNyh
in reply to: jabowabo

I tend to get lost in the model when using wireframe modes so 90% of the time I would use Realistic, with the remainder being 2D Wireframe.  I'll try switching to Shaded & Wireframe and see how it goes.  I keep HW acceleration turned off most of the time as well.  Video card is a Quadro 4000.

I believe this Orbit issue has been around for quite some time. I was reading a thread back in 2010-11 where someone was complaining about the crashes.

Message 4 of 12
lopezpm

I'm using Quadro 2000 and still get this crash. Autodesk should be ashamed of the solution, which is to not use the command. Autodesk this is not a solution.
Problem:
Your AutoCAD based product crashes when you try to orbit the model using the shift + Center mouse button.

Solution:
Use the orbit command in the navigation tools instead of shift + center mouse button to orbit the model.
Start the orbit command, right click and in the right click menu uncheck the item “Enable Orbit Auto Target”. Use the transparent orbit as normal.
Message 5 of 12
EricNyh
in reply to: lopezpm

That solution has not worked for me.

Message 6 of 12
lopezpm

That solution didn't work for you because it's not a solution. The only "work around" I could come up with was to order a 3d mouse from connexion. I got SpaceMouse Wireless 3DX-700043, you can get more info here, http://www.3dconnexion.com/buy/shop.html?3dxcp=GA_GA_search_google_US_Brand
Message 7 of 12
EricNyh

This 3D mouse doesn't use the orbit command?

Message 8 of 12
EricNyh

I just had a fatal error occur while the 3DORBIT command was active.  The "auto-suggested" fix came up this time with the unchecking of the "Enable Orbit Auto Target" feature.  I've done this in the past but the errors continued.  I happend to check to see if the feature was turned on, and it was..!  Is this a per drawing setting?  I thought it was a global setting.

Message 9 of 12
lopezpm

The 3D mouse doesnt use the same command. No one I know that uses this mouse has ever had a crash with it. It takes a little time to get used to but it's well worth while.

Message 10 of 12
PeterQuinn
in reply to: lopezpm

There's a new hotfix for AutoCAD that may help some of these crashes.

"Autodesk AutoCAD 2014 Zoom-Pan-Regen inside Viewport Hotfix"

I don't think it will help all of them, but it might reduce the number.

If you do crash, please send the crash report to us. We really do use this information to prioritize hotfixes.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12
alvaro.nimasco
in reply to: PeterQuinn

This is an old time issue. For us, 2015 version is getting even more crashes than 2013 & 2014 versions. Of course always wireframe..

Hope you can fix it one day.

regards

AutoCAD Plant3D 2015

Main Board: ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4960X CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

RAM: 32,0 GB

Main System SSD - Gen3 SSHD Technology - Intel 510 Series

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits

NVIDIA Quadro K5000

Message 12 of 12
NormJ
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Doesn't work Smiley Sad. Error when starting the .exe file

error.gif

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost