AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1" 800lb SW Full Port Gate Valve Overall Length Error

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BSchwartzkopf
1360 Views, 7 Replies

1" 800lb SW Full Port Gate Valve Overall Length Error

The dimensions I find from Bonney Forge have an overall length of 5". The P3D ASME Valve catalog for a 800lb SW valve has a length of 4.75". The P3D ASME Valve catalog for a 800lb THRD valve has a length of 5". 

Can someone help me out with this it is confusing? I always thought the SW and THRD 800lb sizes for full port were the same.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: BSchwartzkopf

End-to-end lengths of small bore valves can vary.  There is no guarantee that they will be the same between vendors, or between end connection styles for the same vendor.  Thats why I always include vendor information with such components, so that data can be backtracked in the event questions such as this come up.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 8
patpat79
in reply to: dgorsman

dgorsman is right, we administrators double check and or create specs via client vendor drawings of valves.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 4 of 8
BSchwartzkopf
in reply to: patpat79

So whose valve specs were these created from in P3D?

Sent from my iPhone 5
Message 5 of 8
patpat79

As per its name, ASME standard?? I dont know much because, we always use client/vendor valve details. thanks

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 6 of 8
BSchwartzkopf
in reply to: patpat79

We do not have that luxury. We have multiple clients who have multiple specs and those specs have multiple vendors for each type of valve in each spec. We do not know what vendor we are using until the RFQ comes back with prices and by that time we are ready to purchase and the design and BOM's are complete.

Message 7 of 8
dgorsman

You might be overthinking this a bit.  Yes, as with you we don't get that level of detail until well down the line; in fact, in most cases it doesn't come back down to us at all.  But small bore piping is almost exclusively field assembled.  We provide the critical dimensions, connection lcoations, and so on and let the pipe fitters do whats necessary to make the rest work (and they really are quite good at it).  That way it doesn't matter if they had an equivalent valve thats a 1/2" longer or shorter, and we don't have to worry excessively over which brand to implement.  We only need to provide a couple of selections that are "close enough".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
patpat79
in reply to: dgorsman

We also have multiple clients and tons of spec per client, as per the valves, to make everything easy, use Asme valves if your using asme and AS valves of plant 3d if working for AS project, thats it, if you want to be sure of the length, then as I do, create or check vendor drawing/details vs. catalog. Even if it is a hundred valve, it wont take a week, or even 3 days(maybe a 1 or two) will do so.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost