AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Valued Contributor
mbest
Message 1 of 12 (380 Views)

Who is using PI&D 09? Or going to soon?

380 Views, 11 Replies
06-29-2008 12:46 PM
I'm just taking a quick poll, just curious more than anything else. Reply back.

Mike
*Ricky Medley
Message 2 of 12 (380 Views)

Re: Who is using PI&D 09? Or going to soon?

08-22-2008 05:51 PM in reply to: mbest
I consult for two companies, and both have purchased. One has deployed, and
is very unahappy with 2009's buggyness. I recommended this product, but am
afraid of the fall out at the second company.

Ricky
Houston, TX

"mikebest" wrote in message news:5969384@discussion.autodesk.com...
I'm just taking a quick poll, just curious more than anything else. Reply
back.

Mike
Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 3 of 12 (380 Views)

08-22-2008 06:25 PM in reply to: mbest
Hey Ricky,

So what are some of the issues?

If you don't want to list them here, email me privately. @@@@mikebest05_at_comcast.net. Just remove the beginning @'s and put one in between the "5" and "c" of comcast.

Regards,
Mike
*Ricky Medley
Message 4 of 12 (380 Views)

08-22-2008 07:17 PM in reply to: mbest
No...I don't mind.
sigh....
Some of the issues....
Corruptness of the program leading to corrupt entities leading to the
necisety to contantly remove and add a drawing to the project; only giving a
possibility of fixing the problem. That in itself, giving way to uncovering
additonal corrupt items that don't get brought back into the db.....made
known by the validation tool. In a nutshell.

The selling point of the software was to have the same fluidity of PID
creation as what we've experienced with compeditors, while reducing our
engineering overhead by generating more accurate drawings and automatic
lists or reports (ex. instr & line). However, the amount of constant
maintenance far exceeds the enineering overhead we were previously burdened
with. Not to mention, there is little confidence by project leaders of the
reporting accuracy due to the corruptness experienced.

We have experienced near every issue found in this forum since the '09
release. Some of it, from user error, and methodology adjustments. However
most of it is from the release of an incredibly buggy version. I beta
tested Guiness, and I feel it's release version had far fewer issues than
'09 (at least far less damning).

So this thread is less of a please help me, I assure you. We are muddling
through by wasting significant manhours "researching" solutions by
experimentation, reseller support, and forums like this (some of our users
have already had feedback by this site). By what I can see, you are the
leading expert on PNID outside of Autodesk's payroll, and we'll be keeping
an eye on whatever solutions you muster.

Thank you for participating here.

Ricky M.
Houston, TX

"bestm" wrote in message news:6014163@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hey Ricky,

So what are some of the issues?

If you don't want to list them here, email me privately.
@@@@mikebest05_at_comcast.net. Just remove the beginning @'s and put one in
between the "5" and "c" of comcast.

Regards,
Mike
Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 5 of 12 (380 Views)

08-22-2008 09:02 PM in reply to: mbest
Ricky,
I'm glad you realize I'm not an Adesk employee; my post/open letter in this forum "Migration is a Failure" should have given it away that I was a user/abuser of the software.

I should italicize the word abuser. I'm the only one in our company running 09 on a daily basis and it's not in production yet (everyone else is still running 07). I've been working on a "FrankenCAD" deployment of the software for almost 3 months. This deployment encompasses all our standards, a combination of PIP and ISA standards, all our custom blocks, layers and colors, custom tags, bulked up pallets, a coffee table, sink, and you name it I've added or modified it.

The only thing that has held me up this week from deploying was altering the reports to fit our format. I suspect a communication bug there (.dcf file and the associated xml files) but can't get a good definition on what’s causing it. My alternative here is to program (vba) Excel to format and create the reports the way we need after they are exported from PNID09.

Anyways, I’ll finally repackage our 32bit and 64bit deployments next week and possibly get it distributed by the end of the week.
Now back to your “Remove/Add” issue….. I as well have been experiencing this same issue with 09 during my testing. Not sure if it’s a fluke or just a couple of lucky project creations but I’ve had better luck with projects nested in tight file name conventions. What I mean here is no spaces in the names or periods in files names. Same thing with the folder structure.

Old structure…….(The “X’s” indicate project numbers)
Ex. \\Server 1\Cad\Active Projects\Exxon Mobil\XX XXXXX\Clarifier\C XX XXXXX PID-001.dwg

New structure…….
Ex. \\Server 1\Cad\Active Projects\Exxon Mobil\XXXXXXX\Clarifier\CXXXXXXX_PID_001.dwg

In the old structure there are spaces in the naming conventions from the project number all the way through the filename. Before 09, this was a usual way of business, and we still had an occasional “remove/add” issue with 07. When I stumbled on taking out the spaces and placing underbars instead of dashes in the file name the “remove/add” issue was reduced dramatically.

Since it worked out a little better I redid all our running 07 projects this way as well. We may have to do the “remove/add” once a week on 1 or 2 drawings now. It always happens in the same project and I suspect that it’s because some of the blocks were exploded then re-added as well as conventional blocks in the drawing as well.

The only reason I think it works better is because old Windows didn’t like spaces, dashes and periods in file and folder names. Along with that I have to wonder if the xml and dcf files aren’t communicating as well together as they did in previous versions of PNID. I have no real proof, it’s just a suspicion.

From my observations are from watching the xml and dcf files change as I make a format change to any of the reports. What I added to the report on the screen in the project config doesn’t always show up in the just updated xml and dcf files when I apply and exit the config. But, but if I add a new line to the report and leave it at the end of the editor it will show up in the xml and dcf files. If I add it then move it up the list because that is where we want it on our reports then if fails to “stick” and the setup files update but there is nothing there from the new add.

This is one of the communication bugs I’ve tried to isolate and report (maybe I just did).

As far as your reseller, I assume you are using TCAD. If so, Arlene knows me……….

If you or your guys have any questions or issues, don’t hesitate to post it or send it to me. I love a good challenge.

BTW, are any of you going to AU in December? I’ll be presenting a class there on P&ID on Friday morning that week.

Regards,
Mike
Contributor
KBoortz
Message 6 of 12 (380 Views)

08-26-2008 02:39 PM in reply to: mbest
I've been using P&ID 2009 since early July. At first it seemed to work fine, at ~2 weeks problems started. Problems seem to be getting worse and more involved as time goes on.
Our project is being worked on by myself and one other. He works for another company in another city. We meet periodically to synchronize the project files. He works on "his" drawings and I on mine.
He migrated the project from P&ID '08 to '09. He's had few problems with his files. When we were both running P&ID '08 the situation was reversed. I started the project, gave him the entire project. We then worked on our own files independently. I went through learning curve issues as did he, then he started getting serious problems including corruption & loss of the entire project - forcing the '09 migration.
Do you know of any common file, possibly located outside the project folder that we're supposed to be sharing but are not because we are unaware of its existence?
I also recommend against this product. I understand AutoCAD Electrical provides the same database benefits, but is a much more stable platform. We now wish we had drawn the project in Electrical instead of P&ID.
The use of this product has tripled, if not quadrupled P&ID development time. Some time saver.
Valued Contributor
Arthur_Dent
Message 7 of 12 (380 Views)

09-17-2008 12:10 PM in reply to: mbest
I've been considering it for the consulting firm that I work for. In the two previous companies I worked for, I became pretty adept at using and customizing one of the competitors' very stable (if idiosyncratic) product.

The company I work for now is almost exclusively AutoCAD, so I've been investigating AutoCAD P&ID 2009 to work on our large projects and, maybe have interoperability with MEP in some future revision.

Honestly, the issues that I'm reading about scare the heck out of me when I think of what might happen after I press our corporate CAD manager to make the purchase, set it up on my computer, and start using it on a large project - only to have it lose lots of work.

But, heck I and other people in the company have had sheetset manager erase whole directories.
Distinguished Contributor
chillme1
Message 8 of 12 (380 Views)

10-24-2008 05:45 AM in reply to: mbest
Has anything improved with the latest fixes updates as of the date of this posting?

I am about to take the icy plunge into this software for the first time and I might be taking a poor CAD guy at a consultant's office with me!!!
Thanks for your comments,

Clint Hill
eharris
Message 9 of 12 (380 Views)

01-27-2009 01:57 PM in reply to: mbest
I am the CADD Department Manager for a small process plant design firm. We are currently using Bentley P&ID and I am looking at switching over to AutoCAD P&ID in the near future. I am not real thrilled reading posts, but I am not happy with the support that I get from Bentley. Does anyone have expierence on migrating from Bentley P&ID to AuoCAD P&ID??????
Distinguished Contributor
tom_pe
Message 10 of 12 (380 Views)

01-27-2009 04:06 PM in reply to: mbest
Mike
We have tested the trial version and expect to have the real thing installed and running next month.
Tom
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.