Please Help! I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening:
Normally when you place a new valve on a vertical pipe run, or even move it from a horizontal pipe run to a vertical pipe run - the valve and the annotation will adjust accordingly. I have checked the annotation block settings and the orientation field is set to "Orthogonal," but still the same result as seen below:
(This even happens when I create a brand new valve directly in the "Hand Valves" class and test it.)
Secondly, this next issue was never a problem until this week, and I don't know what caused it. I can't understand why everytime I try to substitue any valve in any class with another valve, the result is always the following:
...a huge gate valve, which isn't even found in my respective "Angle Valve" sub-class, or my "Check Valve" sub-class.
I have my valves in "like" sub-classes.
ie: check valves-->check valve, stop check valve, pump discharge valve, ect.
angled valves-->angled valve, angled ball valve, angled globe valve, ect.
This way, the substituion only allows for another valve in the same sub-class. Again, this was working fine until this week, so I don't know if my file has become corrupted, or if there is another issue altogether.
I tried doing an installation repair, and nothing changed. I tried deleting the substitution pallette xml file, and nothing changed. I even turned the "gate valve" object's substitution value to false, and still nothing chaged. What am I missing?
My valve substitution feature magically works again. I was in the middle of adding various piping fittings to the project and wanted to test them by placing a valve nearby and just thought I'd check to see if I was still having the same problem with my valves, and the substitution feature just worked this time.
The only thing that worries me is that I can't draw any conclusions as to what caused it to stop/start working, and I don't know if tomorrow it might stop working again.
As far as the vertical valve line annotation problem, that still remains...
Update 4/10/12 (Evening)
I was able to resolve my vertical valve annotation issue by copying the attributes from one of the out of the box valve annotation blocks ("Valve Label - Knife" found under the "Knife Valve" item) and pasting it into my custom annotation block. After that I rereferenced the respective properties in the new attributes. (I set this annotation at the "Hand Valve" class level.)
The bad news is that my valve substitution palette that magically started working again earlier today seemed to run out of magic and is now back to creating oversized gate valves as all substitution alternatives for valves.
I've found the root of my annotation problem. Everytime I use Arial Narrow for my annotations instead of Standard Arial, my annotations reposition themselves and my insertion points are unpredictable.
Has anyone else had any problems using Arial Narrow font for their annotations?
Are you running AutoCAD P&ID 2012? I tested this on P&ID 2013 and was unable to reproduce the problem.
Are you talking specifically about the Arial Narrow bug, or the valve substitution bug?
Were you able to reproduce it on 2012?
I was checking the annotations first in 2013. I tested them in 2012 as well with no luck.
I have not ran into the symbol substitution scale issue so far. It's almost like the insertion scale of the symbol is off somehow (stored in the symbol settings.)
One thing you can try is erasing the SubstitutionPalettes.xml from your project folder and the next time you click on a valve in the drawing the it will automatically re-build the file.
If that dosn't work please let me know.
I did try deleting the Substitution Palette xml file, but nothing changed.
In the short term, I just started a new setup file to remedy the 3 main problems I was having, and they have not reappeared thus far. At least I know to walk a little more carefully through the setup file now
We'll be implementing 2013 on Monday, so I'm optimistic that things should be a tad more stable from here on out.
Thanks for your time in helping me toubleshoot the issues.
FYI - I talked with Pat Alonzo from D3 Tech, and he'll probably be contacting you sometime next week about these 3 issues that I had. I told him that I've since resolved them by creating a new setup file. So I guess it will be more for you and the development team to just be aware of moving forward.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.
Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.
The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.