AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 1 of 9 (630 Views)
Accepted Solution

Valve Block Insertion & Substitution Failed

630 Views, 8 Replies
05-22-2012 04:10 PM

I ran into this problem a few times before, and luckily was able to close the program and fall back on backup project files as a work-around, but it's finally caught up to me now and I have no where to run...

Overall, it seems to me that the "Hand Valves" class is very flaky and unstable. I originally created nested valve classes within the Hand Valves class, and they have worked fine (save for a few times when they didn't work, and I reverted to overwriting the project files with a backup that I had made).

But as of right now, when I place a valve from a custom valve class, say the check valve, from below...

...at first graphically everything looks fine when prompted to place the valve in the drawing, but once I place it, it defaults to a gate valve (or generic valve body) as shown here:

Because the valves are divided up into sub-classes, this check valve should only be able to be substituted for another valve in the "Check Valves" class (and this worked fine for weeks), but once I placed the valve today, the generic valve body appeared and only allowed me to substitute it out for other 'out of the box' valves. But even if I selected any of them, they each still came through as a generic body valve as shown above...

I tried deleting the SubstitutionPalettes.xml file, but that did not resolve anything. Now I am desperate, as I have to get people started working in this program tomorrow - great timing for it to break of course...

Please Help!

Thanks,

Craig

Craig,

I am glad I was able to get a fix for you!

joe
joe
Message 2 of 9 (608 Views)

Re: Valve Block Insertion & Substitution Failed

05-23-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: craig.wood

This same exact thing is happening to us.  It started happening yesterday afternoon, and it also started happening with check valves.  The same exact thing, looks good when we get it from the tool palette, but changes when placed.  When we try and right click to substitute a different body, the only change in the symbol is that it doubles in size.

I wish that I had a fix or a work around, but we are at a loss as well.  We've tried just about everything we can think of, short of starting the project over.

Autodesk, if you're listening, please help.

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 3 of 9 (600 Views)

05-23-2012 10:21 AM in reply to: joe

Glad to hear we're not the only ones out there. Another firm that we're working with is having the same problems as well. Last night it really tanked out on us and has brought our production to a halt. We are desperate to have it fixed soon, because none of the valves come in correctly, they all come in as gate valves.

As far as the larger valve you're getting, by default, Autodesk made their valve blocks scaled up by 4x, but set the scale factor in the symbol settings to 1/4...seems odd to me, but if you don't set them up the same way, it creates problems with the end connections and other features as well.

Update from my company:

I tried to move some of the valves out to the main hand valve class level to see if I just had my valves nested too deep, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. They still come in as "generic" body valves.

Please help!

Thank you!

joe
joe
Message 4 of 9 (598 Views)

05-23-2012 10:32 AM in reply to: craig.wood

Thanks for the info on scaling up and scaling down...seems redundent to us, but appears to work.  Odd thing is that some valves we made had this problem while some didn't, and all were created identically.

kgroskopf
Message 5 of 9 (592 Views)

05-23-2012 11:51 AM in reply to: craig.wood

This is the exact same thing that is happening to me as well!

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Kim

Contributor
aeiken
Message 6 of 9 (581 Views)

05-23-2012 01:44 PM in reply to: craig.wood

Craig,

I'm having the same issue.

Ken Miller

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 7 of 9 (562 Views)

05-27-2012 09:27 PM in reply to: aeiken

I received the "fix" from an Autodesk customer support rep (Quentin Contreras):

"First thing to look at is the Property Name "Normally" setting under Project Setup --> P&ID DWG Settings --> P&ID Class Definitions --> Engineering Items --> Inline Assets --> Hand Valves. The default is "NO". I have notice that this will revert the valves to gate valves if this is changed to blank. Check this first and see if this is the problem.

Also, when you edited the hand valves, I am curious if you deleted any of the fields under properties. For example, ValveCode, Failure, Number...? If so, I have seen to where valves would revert back to a gate valves as well. Check this as well if anything has been removed."

This first one solved my problem, but I can't speak to the second part. This seemed arbitrary at first, but makes sense if you don't have other graphical alternatives in place to account for the "blank" "Normally" property. And since this is a hard-coded system property, I can see how the problem would manifest itself.

Hope this helps everyone! Thanks Autodesk & Quentin!

Thanks,

Craig

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 8 of 9 (545 Views)

05-29-2012 07:56 AM in reply to: craig.wood

Craig,

I am glad I was able to get a fix for you!

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
kgroskopf
Message 9 of 9 (537 Views)

05-29-2012 11:21 AM in reply to: craig.wood

Thank you! This fixed my issue as well.

-Kim

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.