AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 1 of 3 (587 Views)

Using PLANTXDBMANAGER with Line Segments & Groups

587 Views, 2 Replies
02-18-2013 02:44 PM

I am currently trying to drive line information with one piece of infomation as follows:

Entered in P&ID -

Spec_Choice (ex: 56)

Referenced into P&ID from an external table, based on the value of Spec_Choice -

Service (ex: MPS)

Spec (ex: SS04)

Insulation_Type (ex: P3)

So far, I have this working, although reloading the mapped data is extremely slow. My problem, other than the high latency in refreshing these values is that Service is a 'PipeLineGroup' property, wheras Spec and Insualtion_Type are 'PipeLines' properties. I'm tempted to make Service a 'PipeLines' property so that everything can be updated with one Line Segments class reload of the mapped data, unless there was a command to reload all mapped data classes.

Is it not a good idea to make service solely a line segment property? I currently have an aquisition property called "Service" under my line segments that acquires the Service of the line group, but I cannot drive it the other direction with my Spec_Choice data link, which means that although my information displays correctly in my annotation (since I'm using the acquired service property in it), the Service portion of the actual Tag comes in as null.

It may end up that these two issues are wish list items, or simply that I am ignorant of the best way to use the EDRM. But it would be nice if there was a command or menu that I could reload all class values in a more automated fashion. And even go as far to specify which data links are refreshed whenver I click a "Reload Mapped Data" button, instead of exploring the Data Manager to find the classes that have mapped data associations. And of course, find a way to speed up the reloading time, as I've tried both an Access table as well as adding my Access table into the SQL server database, with no latency differences.

Adding these two features would empower regular end users to use the reference data more efficiently.

Please let me know your thoughts or soutions on the matter. I also have a PlantLink, but wanted to explore the OOTB method first.

Thanks,

Craig

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 2 of 3 (524 Views)

Re: Using PLANTXDBMANAGER with Line Segments & Groups

02-21-2013 12:21 PM in reply to: craig.wood

I will be than happy to add these two items as feature request. An additional suggestion would be to use Plant SDK since you are implementing custom programing. Also, here is the link to the latest update releated to external database reference manager.

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS21167536

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
Mentor
craig.wood
Message 3 of 3 (494 Views)

Re: Using PLANTXDBMANAGER with Line Segments & Groups

02-25-2013 08:07 AM in reply to: quentin.contreras

Thanks Quentin!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!