AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Alumni
EileenForan
Message 1 of 36 (2,301 Views)

User Wish List Items-P&ID

2301 Views, 35 Replies
02-04-2010 01:43 PM
There is a lively Wish List discussion going on in the AutoCAD Plant 3D discussion forum.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=755999&tstart=0

I thought it would be good to get the same thread going here.

Please reply to this thread with any wish list items you'd like to see in AutoCAD P&ID.

Thanks!

Eileen Foran

Autodesk Edited by: EileenForan on Feb 4, 2010 1:43 PM

Eileen Foran
Community Program Manager
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Contributor
mel_mason
Message 2 of 36 (2,296 Views)

Re: User Wish List Items-P&ID

02-04-2010 02:29 PM in reply to: EileenForan
To be able to use the stretch command and stretch a drawing around.
This moving a line at a time or a piece of equipment, its just not practical and I don't get how you long term users have gone with out it. it is driving me nuts not been able to manipulate a drawing quickly.
*Peter Quinn
Message 3 of 36 (2,295 Views)

02-04-2010 05:22 PM in reply to: EileenForan
Mel,

I see this as a bug. AutoCAD commands should work on P&ID objects just like
any other object, otherwise it is a bug. I know this is already on our bug
list and is one of my pet peeves.

If you know of other AutoCAD commands that don't work correctly with P&ID,
please post about it and I'll get them on our bug list.

Peter Quinn (Autodesk)

wrote in message news:6330857@discussion.autodesk.com...
To be able to use the stretch command and stretch a drawing around.
This moving a line at a time or a piece of equipment, its just not practical
and I don't get how you long term users have gone with out it. it is driving
me nuts not been able to manipulate a drawing quickly.
Distinguished Contributor
tom_pe
Message 4 of 36 (2,295 Views)

02-04-2010 08:17 PM in reply to: EileenForan
The ability to import large pick lists using Excel rather than typing one row at a time.
Tom
Active Contributor
eiloneng
Message 5 of 36 (2,295 Views)

02-05-2010 12:30 AM in reply to: EileenForan
In replay to your request:
1. The ordering of fields in the Data Manager should be a project property rather then in Support
2. Ability to generate reports for Speciality Items
3. From our Draftswoman I get the feedback, that while building a P&ID is great, making changes (specially allocating space for an addition) makes her crazy

Jacob Eilon
Contributor
ronjanssen30
Message 6 of 36 (2,295 Views)

02-08-2010 03:10 AM in reply to: EileenForan
1) The possibility to rename certain fields in the engineering items database or the selection list. Currently, one needs to delete and replace values which have been mistyped.
2) The possibility to copy several fields which have been added to, for example Pipelinegroup, to Inline Assets. Currently, all fields have to be created again.
3) It should be possible to upload selection lists from excel
4) It should be possible to delete selection lists which have been implemented by AutoCAD.
5) When trying to remove lists, one gets the message that a list is used in 23 other fields, thus unable to remove. I do not want to remove this list manually from all these lists. I want to remove them all at once.
6) As an employee in the energy sector, my work will become much easier when the KKS-numbering system is fully integrated in the program. We as organisation notice that more and more companies which did not use the system beforehand, will start using it after we created a project for them.
7) Currently I use an additional program PlantTools (www.acplant.com) to create datasheets and lists according our own standard. It also allows to enter the PID database with several users at the same time. It would be wise for AutoDesk to fully incorporate this in the new version.
8) I have about 20 fields added to the database for both valves and lines. Therefore I need to scroll a way to the right to fill in some values. I would like to have a tree-diagram database. Like one field in the list for Process Conditions, and then with a submenu access to Temp/ Pressure/Velocity/Medium/Flow etc.
tom_pe
Message 7 of 36 (2,295 Views)

02-08-2010 08:28 PM in reply to: EileenForan
Better handling of tags that implement a separate suffix.

Discussion: Start with two tags; 10CPT100 and 10CPT100A . Area is 10C. Function is PT. Sequence is 100. Suffix is C
The standard 3 part format will allow both tags but the suffix is not a separate field. Some projects require a separate field for the suffix. This can be accomplished using a 4 part format where the suffix is the fourth part. (Yes you will have to modify annotation formats to display this correctly.)
There is no problem in the 4 part format if you enter a tag that actually has a suffix like 10CPT100A. if you enter 10CPT100 (No suffix), Autocad will be looking for it and will enter the tag as 10CPT100? (See this on the property sheet). There is a workaround. You can edit on the property sheet in the suffix field using alt-0160 and Autocad will accept this as a blank and will correct the tag. You can also do this in an annotation format that has a separate suffix. This will NOT work in the Assign Tag dialog box.

Surely, the programmers can figure a way to enter a tag format that uses a separate suffix that will be accepted directly even if the suffix is blank.
SandraJane
Message 8 of 36 (2,295 Views)

02-09-2010 09:35 AM in reply to: EileenForan
I really wish there was something like a Match Properties command for Project Values.
Example: We have an ongoing “Reference Project” that we make changes to and need to apply the changes to other projects.
We need to be able to select which settings/configurations to apply.
Tagging standards may or may not vary.
ProjSymbolStyle drawing needs to be in sync.
Values may need to be transferred to one or all projects.
tom_pe
Message 9 of 36 (2,294 Views)

02-10-2010 07:45 PM in reply to: EileenForan
Publish the Database Schema.
Autodesk gives us a great tool by allowing us to use SQLServer as a databases server.
We could surely create some great reports.
The problem is we have to guess at the relationship between the tables.
Tom
tagilmartin
Message 10 of 36 (2,293 Views)

02-17-2010 02:30 AM in reply to: EileenForan
Hi,
I agree with the other contributor. Please publish the database schema, or at least publish the most important relationships for Lines, Valves, Equipment and Instruments. - Thanks Tom
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!