AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Contributor
henrikvigh
Message 1 of 11 (1,901 Views)

Simple stretch and move commands don't work in Autocad P&ID

1901 Views, 10 Replies
02-10-2010 01:04 AM
Hello

I am wondering why simple stretch and move commands just don't work properly in Autcad P&ID. The attached pdf is a typical example of this problem. It shows what happens to the lines before and after a stretch command.
Most of the times you have to do a lot of editing to fix all the errors that the program makes after a stretch or a move command.

Regards

Henrik Vigh
*Peter Quinn
Message 2 of 11 (1,901 Views)

Re: Simple stretch and move commands don't work in Autocad P&ID

02-10-2010 05:13 AM in reply to: henrikvigh
Henrik,

It's a bug. It's on the list of things to be fixed in a future release.

Peter Quinn (Autodesk)
wrote in message news:6333645@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello

I am wondering why simple stretch and move commands just don't work properly
in Autcad P&ID. The attached pdf is a typical example of this problem. It
shows what happens to the lines before and after a stretch command.
Most of the times you have to do a lot of editing to fix all the errors that
the program makes after a stretch or a move command.

Regards

Henrik Vigh
Contributor
henrikvigh
Message 3 of 11 (1,901 Views)

02-10-2010 05:35 AM in reply to: henrikvigh
Hello Peter

When is that fix going to be released? These 2 commands are so vital. As my project is getting larger the problem is really getting bigger and bigger.
AutoCAD P&ID has been out for years, and in my opinion this should have been fixed years ago.

Regards

Henrik
Valued Contributor
mel_mason
Message 4 of 11 (1,901 Views)

02-10-2010 01:18 PM in reply to: henrikvigh
I am with Hentik on this one.......is this something that will be fixed in thr next version, or an update to P&ID 2010.

What I don't understand is that developers of AutoCAD P&ID are certainly not users of the program. I have been a P&ID drafter for 15 years and the stretch command is such a pivitol command that I really am struggling to understand why it is taking so long to fix this so called "bug".

I am not sure how I can encourage my bosses to get more licences if maintaing and upkeeping the drawings is going to cost us more because the time that it is takling to do simple things.
Contributor
jonasroslund
Message 5 of 11 (1,873 Views)

07-16-2010 02:41 AM in reply to: mel_mason

I just upgraded to P&ID 2011 just to find that the bug has yet not been fixed. You still cannot use the stretch command.

I find it extremely disturbing not being able to use one of the most fundamental commands without messing up the drawing.

Jonas

tume
Message 6 of 11 (1,697 Views)

09-26-2010 10:19 PM in reply to: jonasroslund
Hello, Do you really have 2011? Following page claims that STRETCH and some other Autocad commands can now be used in 2011. http://docs.autodesk.com/PNID/2011/ENU/filesPBP/WS73099cc142f48755-5dcda9b6127315f9a85-79f4.htm We used Autocad P&ID 2009 and found that it's not usable before you can stretch diagrams as in Autocad before. But we haven't used P&ID 2011. tb
Contributor
jonasroslund
Message 7 of 11 (1,691 Views)

09-27-2010 01:53 AM in reply to: tume

Yes, I am using 2011. To confirm the problem, I just started a new project and created a new drawing with 8-10 components. Stretch messes up the drawing. The problem occurs when the objects I want to move is connected to other objects (that I don't want to move), but preserving connection to other objects is the whole point of using stretch.

Jonas

tume
Message 8 of 11 (1,669 Views)

09-28-2010 05:50 AM in reply to: jonasroslund

With 2009 we had problems:

• very slow savings (which sometimes lead to crash)
  • sometimes connection between diagram and database was broken (that part of project was missed)

The missing of the functionality of Autocad STRETCH and MOVE commands was the major weakness of Autocad P&ID 2009.

I have understood that performance of "P&ID" has improved since 2009.

But it seems that there are still problems with connection between diagram and database with P&ID2010 as described in post Major problems using Autocad P. We had so big problems with 2009 that we had to start again with our previous tool.

I think Autocad P&ID would be nice tool without problems described above and equipped with autocad functionality for stretching and moving diagram. Stretching is important because you have to make space for new equipment many times during project.

Making nice "P&ID"-tool on top of Autocad seems to be too timeconsuming job for Autodesk.

Tb

Contributor
aeiken
Message 9 of 11 (806 Views)

12-03-2012 02:22 PM in reply to: jonasroslund

Are there any hot fixes for the move command "BUG" for AutoCAD P&ID 2013? This is still a major problem. Our client decided to goto a smaller titleblock. I have over 300 drawings that need to placed on a smaller titleblock. I have hundreds of components on each drawing. When I move them there are many problems with lines and instrumentation.

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 10 of 11 (668 Views)

01-14-2013 11:37 AM in reply to: henrikvigh

I have found that using the classicgroup command, grouping the objects you want to move, then setting your pickstyle to  1 (ctrl + h), then moving the group works.  You won't end up with objects/lines all over the place or control valve diaphragms everywhere.  From that you can leave the group or not, you can always select sub-objects of the group with the pickstyle set to 0.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.