AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Active Contributor
M!chelle
Message 1 of 13 (959 Views)
Accepted Solution

Segment Breaker with Multiline Text

959 Views, 12 Replies
10-03-2012 07:53 AM

I created a new segment breaker.  Instead of having the segment breaker pull information from the lines, I want to be able to enter multiline text for some notage.

I've set up the block inside the base project file, but I'm loosing the ability to edit/access the attribute behind the dynamic block.  The attribute needs to be pulled forward so to speak?  Example, if I insert the block it's an ACPPDYNAMICASSET and uneditable.  If I explode it, it's a boring block but the annotation is available.  I want it to still keep the dynamics, but be able to get into that text.

Ok, I think I have a solution for you now.

Create two new properties for Segment Breaker Style, I created LEFT TEXT AND RIGHT TEXT.

07692630_1.png

Now, edit the block for segment breaker. Here you are going to have 2 attribute definitions for your left and right text.  What I did was use the existing annotation and just copied it to give me my second one. Then I left and right justified the annotation. Then I went and assigned the annotation format for both as shown below.

07692630_2.png

Once both annotation have been assigned, change their properties to Multiple lines "YES" and their Boundry Width to "1.00".

07692630_3.png

Now, close block editor and save changes. Apply and OK to exit out of Project Setup. At Command Prompt, type SYNCHSTYLES and enter. Now draw a Primary Line and place a Segment Breaker on it. Once the segment breaker is placed right click on it to open the Properties of it. You should be able to see the LEFT TEXT AND RIGHT TEXT.

07692630_4.png

For LEFT TEXT I will enter "THIS PART OF PIPELINE IS UNDER GROUND" and for RIGHT TEXT I will enter "THIS PART OF PIPELINE IS ABOVE GROUND". The end result is shown below.

07692630_5.png

I think this is what you were looking for.

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 2 of 13 (955 Views)

Re: Segment Breaker with Multiline Text

10-03-2012 09:45 AM in reply to: M!chelle

B/c P&ID uses custom objects, there is not a way to access dynamic blocks through the P&ID object.  I recommend creating an new annotation type for your segment breaker.  That way you'll be able to type in the information and it will be associated with the line.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Plant 3d Wish list: https://plant3d.uservoice.com/
Active Contributor
M!chelle
Message 3 of 13 (951 Views)

10-03-2012 10:28 AM in reply to: dave.wolfe

Having troubles...

I set up an annotation style for my segment breaker.  For the annotation block, I created an attribute, same problem I had before.  Then I tried making a block with just regular mtext in it.  Same problem, I can't edit it.  How do I make an annotation that lets me put in what I want instead of pulling something?

Before my post, I had created a segment breaker that pulls the comment properties but I loose the multiline text in that way.  Would I just have to go overboard on the number of comment colums and stack them to get the mtext result I want?

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 4 of 13 (947 Views)

10-03-2012 10:50 AM in reply to: M!chelle

You need to use the (#.) button and then select the attribute.  A dialog will show asking what field should be used in the block.  Rgw (#.) button is a single button that usually shows up towards the top left of the drawing window.

Select the attribute, go to properties and change the property for multi-line attribute.  That should let you use multiple lines in the attribute.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Plant 3d Wish list: https://plant3d.uservoice.com/
Active Contributor
M!chelle
Message 5 of 13 (938 Views)

10-03-2012 12:35 PM in reply to: dave.wolfe

Still not getting something right...can you give a little more explination?

It sounds like this is the same thing as using the comment columns I set up?  Whenever the ASSIGN_ANNO_FORMAT or (#.) is used, it means that it's going to pull something from that object's properties right?  Well, since I don't really want it to pull anything, except what I type I'm using the comment property so I can enter what I want.  So my annotation block [or even my segment breaker block] has (#TargetObject.Comment).  After I've assigned that "pull" it says the attritbute is a multiline object (althought it's read only?). 

Going back to my drawing, there is no multiline available for the comment field.  There is no {...} button nor does it take if I double click the annotation.

Attached is a picture of my Segment_Breaker_Comment Block WITH the annotation set in it.

And second picture of my stand alone Segment Breaker Block with the annotation style set up.

Explaining CAD over email is not a very easy task!

Active Contributor
M!chelle
Message 6 of 13 (937 Views)

10-03-2012 12:35 PM in reply to: M!chelle

Active Contributor
M!chelle
Message 7 of 13 (936 Views)

10-03-2012 12:36 PM in reply to: M!chelle

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 8 of 13 (875 Views)

10-08-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: M!chelle

I see what Dave was saying with going into the properties and changing it to multiline text. However, it does not give you the option to place a hard return to go to another line of text. So, I think you were correct in that you could make multiple comment fields for the number of lines of text that you want. However, the problem you are going to run into is that for the comment fields that you do not fill in there will be a "." placed on your drawing. Your other option, if you did not care if the text was linked in anyway, would be to just have the segment break come in with no text and create a left and right MTEXT block to insert, explode and then edit the text are you needed. 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 9 of 13 (869 Views)

10-08-2012 03:04 PM in reply to: quentin.contreras

Ok, I think I have a solution for you now.

Create two new properties for Segment Breaker Style, I created LEFT TEXT AND RIGHT TEXT.

07692630_1.png

Now, edit the block for segment breaker. Here you are going to have 2 attribute definitions for your left and right text.  What I did was use the existing annotation and just copied it to give me my second one. Then I left and right justified the annotation. Then I went and assigned the annotation format for both as shown below.

07692630_2.png

Once both annotation have been assigned, change their properties to Multiple lines "YES" and their Boundry Width to "1.00".

07692630_3.png

Now, close block editor and save changes. Apply and OK to exit out of Project Setup. At Command Prompt, type SYNCHSTYLES and enter. Now draw a Primary Line and place a Segment Breaker on it. Once the segment breaker is placed right click on it to open the Properties of it. You should be able to see the LEFT TEXT AND RIGHT TEXT.

07692630_4.png

For LEFT TEXT I will enter "THIS PART OF PIPELINE IS UNDER GROUND" and for RIGHT TEXT I will enter "THIS PART OF PIPELINE IS ABOVE GROUND". The end result is shown below.

07692630_5.png

I think this is what you were looking for.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 10 of 13 (833 Views)

10-11-2012 02:02 PM in reply to: M!chelle

Did you had a chance to try my solution?

Quentin Contreras
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.