AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

joe
joe
Message 1 of 5 (937 Views)
Accepted Solution

projSymbolStyle.dwg for multiple projects

937 Views, 4 Replies
05-09-2012 07:51 AM

Is there a way that I can set up multiple projects to reference the same projSymbolStyle.dwg?  The thought behind this is that custom changes made in one project would be available to all other projects as they happen.  I'm pretty sure that you can copy over settings when starting a new project, but it's my understanding that you can not make global updates and changes once the projects have been started.

I've seen a product called Plant Sync that syncs settings between projects very well.  I haven't used it, but it looks awesome.

http://www.acplant.at/index.php/de/?option=com_content&view=article&id=198:smileytongue:lantsyncen&catid=87:smileytongue:lant-products&Itemid=635

Valued Contributor
Heckmeck
Message 2 of 5 (920 Views)

Re: projSymbolStyle.dwg for multiple projects

05-10-2012 06:06 AM in reply to: joe

Very good question!

In my understanding you should be able to copy the projsymbolstyle from one project to another, since it only contains blocks/linetypes etc.; the rest of the project will stay untouched. But this is not what we want!

A global update would be a great feature.

Employee
sankarg
Message 3 of 5 (908 Views)

05-10-2012 08:28 PM in reply to: Heckmeck

The P&ID symbols in projSymbolStyle.dwg  are not simple blockdefs. They have additional informations like the what class they refer to (e.g, 3-way valve) etc.. As each project may have its custom classes, the projSymbolStyles is isolated to individual project level. In addition, this file contains various tag format styles, and annotation styles that are specific to the project.

The recommended workflow is to define the template project with all the needed symbols and tag formats etc.., and then use that template project as a base project to create the rest of the projects.

Thanks,

Sankar Ganesh
Sr. Principal Engineer
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc
*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 4 of 5 (896 Views)

05-11-2012 05:41 AM in reply to: sankarg

I've seen a product called Plant Sync that syncs settings between projects very well.  I haven't used it, but it looks awesome.

http://www.acplant.at/index.php/de/?option=com_content&view=article&id=198:smileytongue:lantsyncen&catid=87:smileytongue:lant-pr...

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Plant 3d Wish list: https://plant3d.uservoice.com/
mcarmichael
Message 5 of 5 (684 Views)

10-18-2012 12:49 PM in reply to: joe

Not a good answer if the user is working on multiple projects at the same time. Symbols created in one project is not accessible to the other. The template option is only valid for creating a new project... We need a better solution.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!