AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Contributor
Keough
Message 1 of 15 (2,408 Views)

P&ID Block Editor Save/Discard Changes Toolbar Disappears

2408 Views, 14 Replies
09-06-2011 08:22 AM

Hey, I'm having an issue with P&ID, it has been ongoing for a while so I don't know if its just a glitch on my end or if it happens to everyone. When I'm in a drawing and right click on a P&ID object and select "Edit P&ID Object's Block..." It brings me to the block editor, which is expected.

The issue I'm having, is that in order to exit the editor, you must use the "PID Edit BLOCK toolbar". Every time I use this method the toolbar shows up in a completely random spot on one of my two screens, sometimes top left corner, sometimes midlle of second screen, etc., But sometimes it doesn't show up at all. The only way I have found to get back to the drawing when this happens is to use task manager to kill autocad, start from my last save point, and hope the toolbar shows up the next time I try to edit the block...

Any ideas? Also, using BSAVE and BCLOSE commands do not work, just gives me an error message. I'll attach a picture to show.

Block_Edit.jpg

Employee
sankarg
Message 2 of 15 (2,335 Views)

Re: P&ID Block Editor Save/Discard Changes Toolbar Disappears

10-03-2011 10:57 AM in reply to: Keough

Seems like a bug. I can see that the command always brings the tool bar at the center of the drawing editor window. It doesn't seem to remember the last position. But I am not able to reproduce the case where the toolbar doesn't show up.

As per bsave/bclose,  they will not work when PIDEDITBLOCK command is in progress. This is expected workflow.

Command: bedit
** BEDIT command not allowed during PIDEDITBLOCK. Please use the PID Edit BLOCK
toolbar to discard or save your changes.
Command: BCLOSe
** BCLOSE command not allowed during PIDEDITBLOCK. Please use the PID Edit
BLOCK toolbar to discard or save your changes.

Thanks,

Sankar Ganesh
Sr. Principal Engineer
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc
Contributor
dwayne.johnson
Message 3 of 15 (2,165 Views)

02-01-2012 07:35 AM in reply to: Keough

i am having a similar issue but my toolbar is gone. how do i get that toolbar to show up again? everytime i need to taskmanager to get out. no commands work within this edit mode.

please advise

Contributor
Keough
Message 4 of 15 (2,159 Views)

02-01-2012 07:50 AM in reply to: dwayne.johnson

I still haven't found a cure for after it has happened (other than task manager), but I have found that if you bring the object to the center of the screen before going into the editor it usually stops the toolbar from disappearing, it's not a foolproof method, but it helps.

goldkopfchen
Message 5 of 15 (2,036 Views)

05-09-2012 12:39 PM in reply to: Keough

I, too, am having the same problem!  I'd like to know what the secret command is to close the P&ID block editor since BCLOSE doesn't work in this special editing window.  This is what is echoed in the command line when I tried to edit my block:

Command: _.-BEDIT
Command:
Enter block name or [?]: DrumFilter-6
Regenerating model.

Command: _.BSAVE

Command:
Command: _.BCLOSE

Command: Regenerating model.

Command: Save new geometry... Ok.

_.BSAVE & _.BCLOSE don't work without the dialog box.  I tried to find some documentation on the PIDEDITBLOCK command in the help file. & on the web, but there is little to no documentation in any depth that I hve found.  I have also tried to get the dialog box back via the ALT+SPACEBAR trick, but since it is not the active dialog box, it is just gone.  ...would be nice to see it as part of the ribbon instead of a floating box.

Since I am a fan of command aliases, I'd like to see a list of ALL the commands in P&ID so I can use the keyboad if I want to.  I'm sure there is a list out there....How possible is that?

Employee
sankarg
Message 6 of 15 (2,023 Views)

05-10-2012 05:48 PM in reply to: goldkopfchen

Unfortunately there are no commands associated with the "Discard change and exit", and "Save changes and exit" buttons of the PIDEDITBLOCK toolbar. They are doing sub-operations of the PIDEDITBLOCK command and hence not exposed as individual commands. I'll check with our testers to reproduce the case of disappearing toolbar.

Thanks,  

Sankar Ganesh
Sr. Principal Engineer
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc
goldkopfchen
Message 7 of 15 (1,980 Views)

05-21-2012 06:56 PM in reply to: sankarg

Thanks Sankar,

Please pass on that this seems to happen most frequently when zoomed into the block or the block is not centered on the screen BEFORE I go into the editor.  I have found, as was previously posted, that when I am zoomed way out BEFORE I go into the command, it's more likely to behave as it should.

Thanks,

Lisa

Contributor
dgrant775
Message 8 of 15 (1,956 Views)

05-24-2012 04:32 PM in reply to: goldkopfchen

This just happened to me.  I cannot even exit the program.  There needs to be a simple keyboard/command line escape for this.

Contributor
dgrant775
Message 9 of 15 (1,955 Views)

05-24-2012 04:43 PM in reply to: dgrant775

Though I cannot close the file, exit the program, nor use the tool palette (any EXECUTETOOL command) I am able to plot, draw lines, erase, and work outside of the original PID Block Editor but within the parent file, and open and close other files.  This seems like a threading issue.  Using the Windows Menu Bar (old and trusty) I was able to close the application using "Close All."

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 10 of 15 (1,819 Views)

08-21-2012 02:06 PM in reply to: sankarg

Same issue here...has Autodesk added any kind of special command that could allow us to save/exit without having to click on the tool bar button yet? I noticed that this thread is almost a year old, but with no new soutions.

I appreciate anything you can do to help provide a way out whenever this happens.

Thanks,

Craig

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.