AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

steeleb
Message 11 of 13 (3,643 Views)

Re: Object snap settings change!

07-13-2012 04:40 PM in reply to: Keough

I am currently using 2012 and upgrading to 2013 soon. I am annoyed by what I think might be a 'feature' of the software to do with snaps.

My understanding of this issue is:

If you use an item from the tool pallette, it automatically sets your object snaps a certain way no matter how you have them set.

"In 2012 and 2013 the OSNAP settings will temporarily change (nearest, node, intersection) when you select a symbol from the tool palette. Once you place the symbol the settings should go back to what it was set to originally"

Which is great if you are placing a valve or other inline fitting. But not so great if you are adding pipe or instrument lines.

Everytime I add a line (pipe or instrument) to a drawing it sets the snaps to nearest etc.. I want the snaps to be set to include endpoint and intersection, and not to nearest for linework. If you are going to include some arbitary snap overrides for the entire tool palette, you should include a way to opt out or mdify this behavior incase it doesn't suit a user.

Everytime I add a line (pipe or instrumnet) I have to reset my snaps to the way I want them. To the way I had them before I chose the line from the tool palette. Everytime.

Help please?

Contributor
aeiken
Message 12 of 13 (3,288 Views)

01-31-2013 07:50 AM in reply to: steeleb

I am using P&ID 2013. I agree that the automatic snaps are irritating. Is there any system variable to turn these off and use my own settings?

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 13 of 13 (3,282 Views)

01-31-2013 08:57 AM in reply to: blueoct1

Where I work we have built turning off the snaps into our routine/workflow.  After assigning a key command to tun them off, after selecting a new object in p&id, we hit that key command.  Every time, hundres of times a day.  It's second nature now.  I can't imagine ever having a reason to have nearest snap on, so we deal with it here.

for anyone interested we set OSMODE to 137

that's endpoint + node + perpendicular

This works for us because we have our own strict guidelines about spacing and grid snap.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.