AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Active Contributor
Keough
Message 1 of 8 (679 Views)

Non-Existant Wipeouts Showing Up in P&ID Object Blocks

679 Views, 7 Replies
01-08-2013 12:54 PM

Hey,

Since upgrading to 2013 I'm having some more issues, one of them is wipeouts that show up in my instrumentation symbols, even though they are not in the projSymbolStyle file. I removed all wipeouts from all the blocks we use due to plotting issues, but somehow P&ID is grabbing them some somwhere??

Any ideas why they would randomly show up in my blocks, or where exactly they are coming from?

Everything in the project setup points to the correct files, etc.

Active Contributor
Keough
Message 2 of 8 (673 Views)

Re: Non-Existant Wipeouts Showing Up in P&ID Object Blocks

01-08-2013 01:08 PM in reply to: Keough

Update: And now they've disappeared again? P&ID seems to have a mind of its own.

I would still love an explanation for this randomness you call software

Active Contributor
rchiasson
Message 3 of 8 (665 Views)

01-08-2013 02:17 PM in reply to: Keough

When you say plot issues, are you talking about to PDF and getting random black boxes?

Active Contributor
Keough
Message 4 of 8 (652 Views)

01-09-2013 06:42 AM in reply to: rchiasson

rchiasson,

Yes, when we created pdfs with wipeouts in them, the wiped-out areas would show print as solid black boxes, so we took them out of all the blocks.

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 5 of 8 (624 Views)

01-14-2013 12:22 PM in reply to: Keough

We had a horrible time dealing with these, but there is a fix of sorts.

Open your project properties and drill down to lets say (as an example) field discreet instrument.

Click "Edit block..."

You'll notice that there is a dynamic linear property (looks like a dimension) that says "#(TargetObject.LoopNumber)" near the bottom of the block.  You'll want to widen this as this is in reality your wipeout.  Widen it as much as you want, but slightly less than the bubble line.

Close and save.

Back in autocad you should see that your wipeouts are fixed, but only for that particular instrument type.

To figure out which objects might contain this type of wipeout:

After selecting an object, in the properties pallette, if they object type is "ACPPDYNAMICASSET" it probably will have it.  And you'll need to fix it.  This includes most if not all instruments, control valves, pcvs, rotameters, etc, but for complex objects such as control valves, you'll have to edit the block that is part of the annotation.  That is slightly more complicated.  You'll need to locate where that annotation block is being pulled from and edit it there, repeating the steps as above.

Hope this helps.

Active Contributor
Keough
Message 6 of 8 (622 Views)

01-14-2013 12:33 PM in reply to: Keough

Thanks for the reply George,

To fix the original wipeout issues we removed ALL wipeouts from ALL blocks used by the P&ID program (all blocks in projSymbolStyle.dwg).

If you want to see which blocks have wipeouts in them (in any drawing), toggle TFRAMES to ON.

The issue I posted about is that even though none of our blocks have wipeouts in them, wipeouts were showing up. My problem may be a little confusing to read, and its really confusing when using autocad.

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 7 of 8 (619 Views)

01-14-2013 12:37 PM in reply to: Keough

That is an odd one.  Can you let us know what happens with the wipeouts when you plot to:

PDF Complete

DWG to PDF

Adobe PDF

Then from each of those PDFs, plot to a physical printer/plotter.

I'm guessing that it might be an adobe problem, not an autodesk problem.

Active Contributor
rchiasson
Message 8 of 8 (609 Views)

01-14-2013 12:54 PM in reply to: Keough

I haven't had a chance to play with P&ID to see if I could reproduce your specific issue of removing wipeouts and they are still there. The issue with the black boxes when printing to pdf, I'm guessing you are using the adobe PDF, we had this problem a few years ago, the black boxes have something to do with Adobe. Autodesk advised to use the DWG to PDF instead. IF I'm not mistaken, this was fixed with the newer versions of Adobe or a driver update. Ideally you don't want to go in and remove the wipeouts and just have the software be able to print properly. I'd suggest cofirming that you have the most up to date version of Adobe.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.