AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

palmeroo
Message 1 of 3 (210 Views)

How to use non-standard objects?

210 Views, 2 Replies
11-13-2007 10:21 PM
I started a drawing in PIP Imperial and wanted to use some objects like steam boiler that I found only in the ISO Metric pallette. When I tried to add steam boiler from the palette to my drawing nothing happened. I can see steam boiler in my PIP Imperial project properties listing, but there is no image available.

Similarly if I start a drawing in ISO Metric I cannot add objects from PIP Imperial. Now I can see an image for steam boiler in the project properties listing and can add it to the drawing.

Is there any way I can use the full palette in my PID drawing if I am not concerned about the standards?

How do I create a non-standard project template or open access to all pallettes?
Employee
sivapd
Message 2 of 3 (210 Views)

Re: How to use non-standard objects?

11-15-2007 05:41 AM in reply to: palmeroo
The delivered project templates are standard specific. A project created from PIP template will contain only the symbols from PIP tool palette. If users try to place symbols from ISO TP an error message will be displayed in the command line window. However a symbol can be imported from ISO to PIP or between any standards using the Project settings. Select the respective P&ID Object definition, add a symbol and select the block from an ISO project’s ProjSymbolStyle.dwg. You could use Add to Tool Palette command for adding it to the PIP TP. Note that ISO symbols are drawn for metric drawing sizes such as A0 or A1. It may not be suitable for ANSI drawing sizes, hence you might need to scale the blocks appropriately either using the scaling the block definition or using the scale factor in symbol settings. The delivered templates are just a starting point and we anticipate that users might customize them using the project setup to meet their company and project standards. This customization could be just a onetime effort, once a custom project with all required symbols are created, then it can be used as the template for future project creations.

ISA project template is the only exception to this rule, since ISA standard didn't include all the required P&ID components, we included all of PIP into ISA. So in an ISA project, you could switch to a PIP tool palette and place any component from there.

Hope this helps.

Siva Thankappan
Product Designer – Autodesk

Siva Thankappan
Technical Sales, Plant Solutions, Asia Pacific
Autodesk Singapore
palmeroo
Message 3 of 3 (210 Views)

Re: How to use non-standard objects?

11-15-2007 08:44 AM in reply to: palmeroo
Thank you for your answer Siva.

I later had also found the various symbol drawings in the Symbol Library folder. I was happy to see they already had block names which matched the appropriate object names in the PIP Project Settings. It was easy to Add Symbol, Browse to the file, and then add the correctly named block. Selecting Add to Tool Palette then gave me access for my schematic. It worked well.

I had hoped to maybe find a project.xml file in the installed files with a full palette, but this method also works with a little more effort and warns me that I am going non-standard.

Thank you for your help and explanation.

Richard
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.