AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

otto2010
Message 1 of 8 (811 Views)

Flow Arrows and Connector Issue

811 Views, 7 Replies
02-11-2013 05:02 AM

I am having trouble with my flow arrows and the solid hatched ends of my off-page connectors. When working in the drawing, they are on the screen, can be selected and act normally. When I go to plot preview and to plot, they disappear and a gap is left in the line.

I have exported the drawing to AutoCAD and they plot there, I have copied the drawing to another project, I have opened other existing drawings in other projects, I have opened this and other drawings on other machines on the network and had the same issue in each case. I've also re-installed the software and ensured the product is up-to-date.

I've attached an image so the issue can be seen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 2 of 8 (804 Views)

Re: Flow Arrows and Connector Issue

02-11-2013 06:29 AM in reply to: otto2010

Looks like you have them on a layer with no plot selected.  Open up the flow arrow block, select all, change the layer in it to something you know plots.  Give that a shot.

otto2010
Message 3 of 8 (796 Views)

02-11-2013 06:35 AM in reply to: otto2010

Thanks for replying, but this isn't the issue. Every symbol we use is created on and saved as a block on Layer 0 and used to create the P&ID Object, the layer it inserts into the drawing is the same layer as several other items in this drawing that work fine. As you can see from the image I attached, the off-page connector line work plots and it is only the solid-hatching arrow at the end that is a problem.

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 4 of 8 (792 Views)

02-11-2013 06:45 AM in reply to: otto2010

Ok.  Let's rule out some things.

Try assigning a different flow arrow symbol (P&ID Class Definitions --> Non Engineering Items --> Flow Arrow)

Then assign that new style to the line (Engineering Items --> lines --> Pipe line segments --> whatever you use --> edit line... --> flow arrow style)

See if that changes it at all.

Can you verify within the flow arrow block that it does contain two AttachmentPoints?  Make sure AttachmentPoint1 is at the butt end and AttachmentPoint2 is at the nose.

otto2010
Message 5 of 8 (788 Views)

02-11-2013 07:07 AM in reply to: georgeendrulat

Yes, the flow arrows have 2 attachment points. I have started again re: the block, re-drawn from scratch in ProjSymbolStyle.dwg and gone through the symbol adding protocol, added this to the line and there is still no joy.

I must stress that we have been using these symbols in their current state for a couple of years with no issue. This problem started to occur sometime last week and it is only the solid hatching that doesn't show up on the plot, when I use a symbol that is only lines it plots with no problem.

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 6 of 8 (783 Views)

02-11-2013 11:02 AM in reply to: otto2010

Have you had any printer updates recently? If you have you might need to revert back to the prior driver.

Have you treid a plot to PDF and to a different printer and are the results the same?

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
otto2010
Message 7 of 8 (766 Views)

02-12-2013 01:02 AM in reply to: otto2010

Thanks for your reply, there were updates applied to the computer last week sometime and one of my next steps (I'm trying everything I can think of) is to do a system restore back to before the issue occured. I have plotted to different printers and to .pdf and had the same results, but strangely; when I publish rather than plot to .pdf, there's no issue. Also, when I explode the problematic symbols so they're no longer P&ID objects but just normal blocks, they plot okay then too.

Each different thing I try seems to defy logic. I have narrowed it down and the problem only occurs when specifically plotting P&ID objects that contain solid hatching. Yesterday, I did manage to get it to work briefly by drawing new blocks in ProjSymbolStyle.dwg and adding them as new symbols having purged the previous ones and removed all trace of them from the project setup. However, the problem was only fixed when new lines were drawn in a new drawing, new lines in existing drawings didn't work and I'd rather not have to re-draw all of the affected P&IDs if I can help it.

lam
lam
Message 8 of 8 (155 Views)

05-19-2014 07:49 AM in reply to: otto2010

I am experiencing a similar issue with certain line connection types. When I add a socket weld connection and plot the drawing it shows a gap next to the valve or entity instead of the connection. This issue appeared when I plot to printer, export to .pdf, export to .dwf, ect. It only seems to appear since we have upgraded to P&ID 2015 and of course Autodesk doesn’t allow the project to migrate backwards to the older version software that we have.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.