AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Contributor
dxmnkd316
Message 1 of 10 (1,089 Views)

Dynamic Block Grips Missing

1089 Views, 9 Replies
05-31-2008 12:39 PM
Hello again,

I've been having some problems with dynamic blocks. I've tried setting up some parameters and actions to allow an attribute within a block to be displayed on either side of a symbol.

When I get out of the block editor, data manager, and open up a drawing in the project, the visibility grip was not displayed on the block.

I went back in to the block editor, tried creating a different parameter/action set that I was sure would work. Again, the grips weren't displayed.

I tried auditing the drawing and it finds hundreds of errors. Errors in tags that aren't even in the drawing and never have been. For instance, I have a blower in the drawing using a custom info tag. Somehow, the standard "Blower InfoTag" (which is different from the one I created and used) has an error in it, despite this not being in the drawing.

When I run an audit, I get this error for virtually every object in the drawing, and some not in the drawing:
AcDbDictionary(4B111) UTI - IO eWasErased Delete Entry

In addition, hundreds of these are listed:
AcDbBlockXYGrip(45B6C) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockGripExpr(45B6D) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockGripExpr(45B6E) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockPointParameter(45B83) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockPointParameter(45B84) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockPointParameter(45B85) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockPointParameter(45B86) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockLinearParameter(45B87) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockStretchAction(45B88) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockStretchAction(45B89) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.
AcDbBlockLinearParameter(45B8A) could not be repaired. It will be Erased.

and near the end of the audit log, many objects have the following:
AcDbDictionary(4B111) UTI - IO eWasErased Delete Entry

I get this error for virtually every object in the drawing when I run audit without using the "fix" option:
AcDbSortentsTable(4B107) AcDbSortEntsTable Block Id not valid
AcDbDictionary(4B111) UTI - IO eWasErased
AcDbDictionary(4B111) was not repaired.

These errors do not appear when I don't have the parameter/action grips in my custom symbol.

Also, when the audit completes, I get the message:
"Program Errors were detected.
Recommend that you save your work and restart the program."

I also tried adding a dynamic block I know for a fact works. The Metric Door block in the Samples folder. I opened that drawing first, and verified that the block works in that drawing. I loaded it into the project manager and added it to the tool pallette. I inserted it into the drawing and like the other blocks, there was no functionality.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Message was edited by: dxmnkd316 - Additional Information
Board Manager
MangeshKalbhor
Message 2 of 10 (1,089 Views)

Re: Dynamic Block Grips Missing

06-02-2008 05:53 PM in reply to: dxmnkd316
Looks like you are using AUDIT command that is used for auditing AutoCAD primitives. We have a special audit command for AutoCAD P&ID - AUDITPROJECT. Also, in Project Manager there is contextual menu on project name as 'Audit Project'. This should help in auditing P&ID objects.

Mangesh Kalbhor (Autodesk)

Message was edited by: Mangesh Kalbhor

Message was edited by: Mangesh Kalbhor

Mangesh Kalbhor
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
dxmnkd316
Message 3 of 10 (1,089 Views)

06-03-2008 06:04 AM in reply to: dxmnkd316
I agree that the AuditProject is for P&ID, however, it's extremely limited in what it does. All that it seems to do is check the project database against the drawing to see if the object is still there.

The reason I am using the Audit command is because inevitably, on almost all of my drawings objects in my drawings lose their Graphical Style. The Audit command restores the Graphical Style.

If there was a solution to the Graphical Styles bug and the grips bug, I would be extremely happy.

Edit: Thanks for the quick response as always! It's greatly appreciated. Message was edited by: dxmnkd316
Board Manager
MangeshKalbhor
Message 4 of 10 (1,089 Views)

06-03-2008 01:53 PM in reply to: dxmnkd316
Can you please elaborate on the Graphical Style problem so I can take a closer look at it. In Dynamic blocks, which parameters and/or actions are you trying to set?

Mangesh Kalbhor (Autodesk)

Mangesh Kalbhor
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
dxmnkd316
Message 5 of 10 (1,089 Views)

06-04-2008 06:10 AM in reply to: dxmnkd316
Sure. Periodically I notice that symbols on my drawing lose the "snap to node" functionality. Object snapping to AttachmentPoints has been lost for not only any objects I have created, but also objects such as Field Mounted PLCs.

When I attempt to substitute any symbols using the substitution grip, I get the error in the command area that says, "No suitable tool found."

When I open up the Object Properties window for a symbol, it shows all of the normal fields, (General, Geometry, Misc, P&ID, Tag, etc.) except for the "Styles" field and the associated "Graphical Style" field.

When I use the "recover drawing" or "audit drawing" functions, it restores the "substitution" functionality, but the snap to AttachmentPoint is still lost. Other times the program will simply delete the symbol and produce the following error:

"AcPpAsset Asset has no style
AcPpAsset(2EEA7) could not be repaired. It will be Erased."

and more often than not it is accompanied by the "Program Errors Detected. Please restart" error I mentioned in the first post. I have uninstalled and installed (not a repair) fresh and it still produces these errors.

I can't seem to find the cause of the objects losing their functionality. I do notice that it seems to occur more often when I have an open drawing and I open the "Project Properties" data manager. Once I close the data manager, it's only a matter of time before I notice the objects losing their Graphical Style. I can't 100% say that this is the cause, but I have a feeling it has something to do with it.
Contributor
dxmnkd316
Message 6 of 10 (1,089 Views)

06-20-2008 06:04 AM in reply to: dxmnkd316
Anyone? It seems like this community keeps growing and some new people are on board. I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks
Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 7 of 10 (1,089 Views)

06-20-2008 09:29 AM in reply to: dxmnkd316
I have a question, or 2....

What version of P&ID are you using and are you using a "vault like" PDM?

Regards,
Mike
Contributor
dxmnkd316
Message 8 of 10 (1,089 Views)

06-20-2008 12:04 PM in reply to: dxmnkd316
1. 2008

2. Haven't used vault so i can't make any comparisons. I'm using the default project setup in the sense that there is a project database that I add new blank drawings and begin the models in there.

Probably should have posted that info in the OP. thanks.
Valued Contributor
mbest
Message 9 of 10 (1,089 Views)

06-20-2008 03:47 PM in reply to: dxmnkd316
I haven't had a chance to really work in 2008 except to migrate files.

Is there a chance someone could be opening the drawings in Vanilla Acad? I have seen something like this happen in 2007.

Just fishing,
Mike
rosscopeeco
Message 10 of 10 (1,089 Views)

02-09-2009 06:15 PM in reply to: dxmnkd316
Try this link if you havent fixed it yet.
I have just had some dynamic blocks lose their functionality and found this nice little routine.
http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/download.asp?fileID=768
Hope it works.
Ross
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.