AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

CPEN
Message 1 of 9 (252 Views)

Create New Project

252 Views, 8 Replies
05-18-2008 07:53 PM
Hi there!
I have created a new project from an existing template (which seemed to work fine). The problem occurs in the Project Setup area when I try to add a new symbol. I find that some of the categories have the 'Add Symbol' button greyed out and it does not allow me to add new symbol to that particular category. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Candido
Board Manager
MangeshKalbhor
Message 2 of 9 (251 Views)

Re: Create New Project

05-19-2008 07:03 PM in reply to: CPEN
Hi Candido,

Can you provide some more details as I haven't seen anything like this. Can you tell me which standard your original project was and few class names which shows 'Add Symbol' button grayed out. Also, let me know if there was anything special you did in the original project. Message was edited by: Mangesh Kalbhor

Mangesh Kalbhor
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

CPEN
Message 3 of 9 (251 Views)

05-19-2008 08:57 PM in reply to: CPEN
Hi Mangesh
My project was based on ISO template and then added to it. I experimented by adding and removing drawings. I now have 2 drawings I cannot remove (refer attached file). The problem still remains that when I create a new project from this template I have the 'Add symbol' button greyed out in several of the Equipment classes (eg Conveyors, Crushers, Driers) and does not allow new symbols to be added. This P&ID software is still new for me and I have no idea of what 'errors' I may have created in the template.
As a work around, I created a new project from ISO template and then copied across the ProjSymbolStyle file and manually repopulated the Object Definitions (which was not as painful as I had expected).
cheers
Board Manager
MangeshKalbhor
Message 4 of 9 (251 Views)

05-20-2008 06:37 PM in reply to: CPEN
Hi Candido,

I looked at the project you have uploaded.
I cannot 'Remove' drawing from the project drawing list because the physical file is missing. It shows a red slash indicating that the file is missing from it's desired location.
When I create a new project using your project as template I see the problem you are talking about but I don't see that when I created projects using any other project as template. There could be something wrong with this particular project. I will try to further look into the project to find out how this might have happened and see how to eliminate it.
Till then, feel free to provide any information you have; or any thing that you have done to the project settings or files in project folder.

Mangesh Kalbhor
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

CPEN
Message 5 of 9 (251 Views)

05-20-2008 06:44 PM in reply to: CPEN
Thanks Mangesh
I will keep you informed of any other 'anomolies'.

Candido
Valued Contributor
mbest
Message 6 of 9 (251 Views)

06-29-2008 12:52 PM in reply to: CPEN
Candido,

Were you able to remedy this situation? If not, I can illustrate how to edit the xml file that is holding the information.

Mike
CPEN
Message 7 of 9 (251 Views)

06-30-2008 04:29 PM in reply to: CPEN
Hi Mike
I did not remedy the faulty file. I did replace it (as explained above) and the new file worked out fine. I would be interested in your solution, in case it happens to me again.
Thanks

Candido
Valued Contributor
mbest
Message 8 of 9 (251 Views)

06-30-2008 05:56 PM in reply to: CPEN
Hey Candido,

Whenever anyone deletes a drawing before removing it from the Project Manager, there is a red slash shown next to the filename. The project.xml file is where the listing of the project drawing resides.

First close all drawings and change projects then make sure no one else is working in it..

All you need to do is open the xml file with Internet Explorer then scroll almost all the way down to the bottom of the file til you get to the line "- ". When you get here you'll see all the files that are currently listed in the Project Manager. Highlight the the line starting "- ", then delete it. You have now successfully removed the drawing from the Project Manager list.

See the pic attached for further illustration.

Or, you could download a free xml editor and look for the "PnPDrawingFiles" listing in the tree and edit it there.

Anyways, thats all you need to do to remove the second grade teacher marks from the drawing listing.

Regards,
Mike
Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 9 of 9 (251 Views)

07-01-2008 09:16 AM in reply to: CPEN
The part in quotes thats missing should say "File id". When you see this you'll notice your missing filenames in the rest of the section. Highlight and remove down to the line that reads ""/File"". If your familiar with any Lisp routines you'll notice the formating and this should indicate each sections indentation.

The free xml editor I use can be found here at Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en

FYI, editing files out the Project Manager in P&ID09 is done in the PnIdPart.xml file.

Regards,
Mike
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.