AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Mentor
thebearjed
Message 1 of 5 (375 Views)

Convert to P&ID Object problem

375 Views, 4 Replies
07-18-2012 05:55 AM

when using the Convert to PID Object command it does not allowed you to select items do not have a symbol in project manager?

Valued Contributor
andy.davis
Message 2 of 5 (374 Views)

Re: Convert to P&ID Object problem

07-18-2012 09:04 AM in reply to: thebearjed

Hi,

I think you'll find that you can only select assets which have a GraphicalStyleName property defined.  I suspect that it looks up the default symbol properties from this symbol - it needs to lookup connection type, tag requirements etc from somewhere.

Regards,

Andy

Active Contributor
tgwestbrook
Message 3 of 5 (371 Views)

07-18-2012 10:22 AM in reply to: andy.davis

andy.davis wrote:

I think you'll find that you can only select assets which have a GraphicalStyleName property defined.  

That is a good restating of the Problem.

The question is how to fix or work around said problem.  In most cases if a graphical style already existed, you would not need to convert-to-P&ID-object.  -And creating an empty block for every class seems prohibitively time consuming and difficult.

Active Contributor
cbeinecke
Message 4 of 5 (342 Views)

07-26-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: tgwestbrook

There is no real "fix" for that, because it behaves this way by design. You could create a default block and assign this block to all the "blank" classes.

Not a real solution I know.

Carsten

Product Support
Dan.Scales
Message 5 of 5 (331 Views)

07-27-2012 01:58 AM in reply to: thebearjed

Hi,

I will log a feature request with our developers to give the user the ability to create new class symbols using the "Convert to P&ID Object" command.

At the moment you will need to workaround this limitation by creating a symbol for the class before using the "Convert to P&ID Object" to add a new symbol.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Scales
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.