AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

CMSTEVENS
Message 1 of 1 (275 Views)

Can Inventor export Shape Files??

275 Views, 0 Replies
10-25-2012 06:21 AM

For a couple years now I have been doing drawings of high pressurized piping & pressure vessels. This included as-built drawings of what was installed in the field by our company. I recently had a client company ask if we were capable of exporting our as-built drawings as a shape file. He said as far as he knew all "CAD programs" had this capability. I have never heard of shape files and am slowly learning just little bits about them from reading online. However, I still don't like what I am seeing because I have not been able to find any possible way. I am very doubtful Inventor can do such a thing, shape files just seem to primitive in comparison to what inventor is capable of & what I'm using it for. However, I thought maybe I could save my as-built and bring them into Autodesk AutoCAD and maybe stand some chance of exporting it than. I can get them to open in AutoCAD easy enough, that's simple, but I am not having much luck exporting them to a shape file. I was wondering if anyone had any possible suggestions.

-attached is an example of an as-built I would be working with

-any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.