AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 1 of 4 (832 Views)

Automatic two way link between excel & data manager?

832 Views, 3 Replies
01-23-2013 07:38 AM

Is there a way to automatically update data manager data with an external excel file without the tedious import/export?

If there is not, where is the data manager's data being pulled from? The drawing itself? An external database?  It looks like when I modify a P&ID object it interally modifies Autodesk.processpower.pnidobjects.whatever, but where is that data actually located? I can open and view the processpower.dcfx file and look at the relationship tables, but can't figure out where the actual data values are.  Is that just the location of the object deffinition and the value is located elsewhere? Within the drawing itself?

If it is within the drawing itself, is there a database editing software that would allow my engineers to view and modify that information directly?

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 2 of 4 (819 Views)

Re: Automatic two way link between excel & data manager?

01-23-2013 03:30 PM in reply to: georgeendrulat

The data is stores in the .dcf files.  the import and export are used to manage the changes, by design. The structure is such that I don't recommend people accessing the data.   You can use SQLite expert peraccess for direct access.  Our blog has links to it.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 3 of 4 (797 Views)

01-24-2013 09:32 AM in reply to: dave.wolfe

Looked into SQlite expert personal, opened the processpower.dcf, scrolled down to one of the _PNP entries, clicked on "Data" on the right hand side, poof, there it was.  Great stuff.

Now I just need to figure out if this is something that is more useful than dangerous.  If multiple people can be editing the .dcf file while others are updating the dwgs.  If there is a way to associate that internal information to a formatted external editor so no one accidently deletes something they shouldn't.  Possibly a realtime link to an external editor or even excel.

Thank you very much for the help and information, I appreciate it.

Valued Contributor
georgeendrulat
Message 4 of 4 (793 Views)

01-24-2013 10:07 AM in reply to: georgeendrulat

Links:

SQlite Expert Personal

SQLite ODBC Driver

SQLite OleDB Wrappers

SQLite ActiveX Wrapper

SQLite for excel

A lot of options there for editing the .dcf files outside of Autocad P&ID.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.