Did you mean: 

MEP 2014 Impressive!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Mark_Richards
1490 Views, 8 Replies

MEP 2014 Impressive!

Actually not, just kidding.

Would someone at Autodesk chime in here and level with us?  What's the deal, are you developing this product activly or not.  Should I just cancel my subscription and save my company a boatload of cash every year?

Why do you even have a new feature wish list forum?  Are you ever going to finish the electrical portion of the software?

7 new features, Really?  The only one I can see to be useful is draworder by layer (although you have been able to do that with lisps for years).  There rest a basically fluff.  Still no new electrical features, no correction of the gaping inconsistancies between MEP the NEC and the real world.

I know I sound like a whining kid, but let's be honest, if you are going to use AutoCAD as a professional you need to be on subsciption.  You make it that way by changing the .dwg format every few years.  If I don't want to constantly ask my colleagues to send me the old version of files (that's professional) so I can open them with my "old" software then I need to keep up.  God forbid I fall off subsciption you will hammer me in a couple years for a full seat when I'm forced to upgrade.

You need recurring revenue to support your business model, I get it, that's how software companies stay in business.  I'm fine with that.

My problem is that you don't seem to understand your end of the bargin, we pay, you improve. Wher is the added value??  Wat are you doing for your money?  I'd really like to hear Autodesks perspective on this.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bagchis
in reply to: Mark_Richards

Mark,

Can you please send me an email with your contact information, you can reach me at shibai.bagchi@autodesk.com. I would like to have a phone call with you to understand your AutoCAD MEP product needs better.

Shibai Bagchi

Product Manager

Autodesk

Message 3 of 9
Mark_Richards
in reply to: bagchis

Sent.  Thanks for asking.

Message 4 of 9
cmillard
in reply to: bagchis

I would LOVE to spend about an hour on the phone with AutoDesk and go through the process for design from an electrical perspective and point out all of the issues/ problems with workflow on both ACADMEP and Revit.  At this time, neither one of these products save me any time over just AutoCAD and Excel spreadsheets for panel schedules.  And so far, 2014 hasn't made any changes that are worth upgrading for.  My current advice to the principals in our firm is to drop AutoDesk and move to Bentley.  At least they won't force us to buy and subscribe to a full blown "building design suite" where we won't ever use 70% of the software.

Message 5 of 9
bagchis
in reply to: cmillard

cmillard

Can you please drop me an email with your contact information and we can connect. You can reach me at shibai.bagchi@autodesk.com.

Shibai Bagchi

Product Manager

Autodesk

Message 6 of 9
saleem
in reply to: Mark_Richards

We are very dissatisfied with subscription services and the Autocad products put in the market in general; it looks like products are coming in the market with gaps and errors and not enough testing.  Before we have gotten use to a release another release is in the market and seems like with no real enhancements. We have constant crashing and no real guidance on how to best utilize products. It seems like the business model is put a product out there let people figure it out by going through thousands of webpages content material, very unproductive for users of the product. Training and support is poor.

Message 7 of 9
magnolouis
in reply to: saleem

Yes,

I Accidentally read this message when I was browsing and  I can relate on you guys. I've been using AMEP for couple of years for mechanical works piping & ducts and it works nice that I had the chance to present to my current company and introduce AMEP as a BIM toll (sort off). The presentation came awkward when my electrical boss asked me where is the E' or should we cal Autocad MP. So we decided to move on the product which base on the AU extension I attended 'will be the future' and 'will removed' all autocad product line from the face of the earth. presenting REVIT, since we are an MEP engineering consultancy firm my bosses decided to buy Revit MEP with its promising features and capability, But as of now whoosh... no Revit MEP promises are better we are still doing everything in autocad and I'm still proud of my Autocad MEP which i find more a lot better than RMEP. So if Autodesk is really serious of giving back all the promises to their user or clients I think its time to be more honest in the Annual upgrades of the products anyway does Autodesk knows anything about MAGICAD? why don't you guys hire their programmers to work for your Autocad product enhancement I think they will be a big help.

But in fairness I give back credit to Autocad MEP just make a huge step on developing the E' (Electrical) side and add more 3D objects or contents. and I'm sure Revit will be left behind.

Revit requires a vast knowledge for both Technical, Engineering and software oriented users and in my point of view no MEP Individual specially designers is capable of having this 3 quality, not to mention the drafting performance to utilize the software's. Beside it's a rare case to see engineers doing drafting skills but theres a lot of drafters who would love to help out and learn engineering works.

The thing is Don't Make the Engineers Draft, Make Drafting sort of an Engineers that's where your product will be more functional.

BIM I assume will be more popular if all Autocad product lines will be indorce with it thats why Autodesk needs to stop promoting Revit and trsh talking about its Autocad product lines. Besides there are lot of Autocad than Reviters.

Message 8 of 9
alexius.sev
in reply to: magnolouis

autocad and revit are very similar. But I'm tired of fatal errors in AutoCAD. Fatal errors in revit much less. But I would have gone on all of the products by autodesk. The Company is not able to do normal stable products for engineering design!

Message 9 of 9

All R&D for Autodesk products is going into Revit right now. It's the "wave" of the future. But I share your pain. It would be really cool to have reducing tees in copper without having to use buttwelded. Also, a "match bottom of pipe " feature, or even having a BOP window to enter elevations into on  the property pallette would be nice.

Having used both Revit MEP, and Autocad MEP, Autocad MEP is definitely better on the fabrication side. Also, as hard as Revit tries to demonize layers and vaunt their own "layer free" methodology, layers allow much more control of the drawing process. I have seen too many Revit drawings wankerized in an attempt to do what Autocad already does with layers. I'll take the layer manager over the visibility graphics setup any day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report