Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All II ask for is...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
251 Views, 5 Replies

All II ask for is...

...a comprehensive AutoCAD based MEP software package that is usable in the "real world".

Allow me to start out by stating that I am a Senior Mechanical/HVAC designer with 27 years of experiance.
I have also held positions in CAD Management on the Discipline and Corporate levels.

My firm is currently using ABS 2007.1 and have the 2008 MEP suite in house. There isn't much of a difference between the two when is comes down to providing the end user with content.

Example: Why can't we have every SMACNA duct fitting available to use instead of trying to create our own or coming up with a work-around?

The only reason I'm using this software is because our corporate management has stated that I have to - I would NEVER recommend ABS or AMEP to any of my peers.

In the world of MEP software, this offering by Autodesk stands out as a really bad joke and has frustrated me like nothing else has.

I sincerely hope that Autodesk provides MEP Engineering firms with the software they NEED in the next major release of AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP.

I would actually consider seeking out another employer who does not use this software if Aurodesk does not give us what we NEED.

Rant over...
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Qwaldo
in reply to: Anonymous

We too are using the under developed buggy ABS/MEP and suffering our daily dose of FATAL ERRORs and other horrors of usability.

You should cross us off your list of possible employers.

I also wish it was a usable software package in the real world. Yeah sure people are using it but how many of those enjoy using it? Personally I find it to be a complete nighmare of a software package for 3D coordination.

AI is garbage and connectivity fails frequenty, levels have a knock-on effect wreaking havoc, ductwork flying off into outer space, upside down ducts, axial rotations on pipes, the worst generic library fittings ever, 5 seconds wait for every dialogue box to appear. The list of problems is never ending.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi CadLad,

I'm interested in knowing, given your experience, what software packages for
architecture/MEP design you recommend. Thanks for your thoughts.

--- Evan

wrote in message news:5722441@discussion.autodesk.com...
...a comprehensive AutoCAD based MEP software package that is usable in the
"real world".

Allow me to start out by stating that I am a Senior Mechanical/HVAC designer
with 27 years of experiance.
I have also held positions in CAD Management on the Discipline and Corporate
levels.

My firm is currently using ABS 2007.1 and have the 2008 MEP suite in house.
There isn't much of a difference between the two when is comes down to
providing the end user with content.

Example: Why can't we have every SMACNA duct fitting available to use
instead of trying to create our own or coming up with a work-around?

The only reason I'm using this software is because our corporate management
has stated that I have to - I would NEVER recommend ABS or AMEP to any of my
peers.

In the world of MEP software, this offering by Autodesk stands out as a
really bad joke and has frustrated me like nothing else has.

I sincerely hope that Autodesk provides MEP Engineering firms with the
software they NEED in the next major release of AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP.

I would actually consider seeking out another employer who does not use this
software if Aurodesk does not give us what we NEED.

Rant over...
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

IMy experience with 3D MEP software is limited to ABS so I can't provide a recommendation.

That being said, my interaction with MEP contractors indicates that QuickPen's DuctDesigner 3D and PipeDesigner 3D seem to be the way to go. It may however, provide too much detailing for the average MEP Engineering firms.

Perhaps Autodesk should purchase QuickPen International and incorporate that technology into the next incarnation of AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

If you check out the partnerships that Autodesk currently has, one of them is with EastCoast CAD (a fabrication software producer). With any luck, Autodesk will adopt EastCoast's fitting library.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be sure to stop by.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report