4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
247 Views, 4 Replies

Addressed in ABS 2005 - Re: 2004-3-s8

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Message 3 of 5

Slawomir - ABS 2005 has incorporated links to partners such as Elite, Lindab, Trane & Geopraxis for duct sizing, fire sprinkler sizing, load analysis, and energy analysis. These links give you the ability to export dimensions & data to the analysis app then import the results back into ABS for decision making. The data is available through xml and ActiveX apis that should enable you to access it with any analysis software of your choosing in addition to any spreadsheets or databases you use. I hope this helps! "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message news:307AF343F80DCFE58E627353954E9630@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > Peter > Of course I can draw it, although in order to draw it, first I have to know > what I'm drawing, i.e. calculate it. Companies such as Elite or Trane came > up with software helping to calculate and it is a tremendous time saving. > However, manual transfering data from ABS to Elite, or rather lack of such > utility is a downside, killing any productivity. > I thing that you are missing my point. I don't care whether this thing does > a virtual model or not. I don't want to use all past versions of the ABS > including S8 on same project. That's all. > As to "tremendous amount of data available in that model that can be used > for other activities", I have to admit that I cannot care less. I want a > software peer to S8 for starters, that I can plan, calculate and draw with. > Ulitimately, number of mouse clicks needed to complete a design is one of > the factors measuring productivity. The other is time between clicks needed > to figure out why I want to click and what I suppose to achieve. > sp > > > > "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in > message news:E757927E57C476A45246195556DA71F2@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > Slawomir - > > > > ABS builds a virtual construction model of your designs. Although the > > benefits to having a design that you know fits before you build it are > many, > > these were not the only reasons for a full 3D model. There is a > tremendous > > amount of data available in that model that can be used for other > activities > > such as analysis and estimation/fabrication. Making that data readily > > available for use by third parties as well as in applications such as > Excel > > is an extremely high priority for the development team. > > > > But, as a very famous person once noted, you need to be able to draw it > > first otherwise you wouldn't need AutoCAD... After 4 releases, I hope > that > > you can now "draw it" > > > > BTW, the latest version of Elite Ductsize is already reading the ABS 2004 > > model... > > > > > > "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message > > news:60093B4872E6C90CE2F04C7B83FC30B9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > > We've got a brand new, shiny ABS 2004. So far it is much better than > > > anything else before. On the other hand, don't have too much use of it. > > I've > > > tried it, and here is how that might work for me: > > > Load R14/S8 on your computer; > > > Load ABS 3.0 on your computer; > > > Load ABS 2004 on your computer. > > > Open all backgrounds from architect with 2004, convert it to 2000. > > > Open these 2000 backgrounds in ABS 3 and save as R14. > > > Draw your centerlines in R14, export system geometry and run your Elite > > > calculations. > > > Go back to 2004 and continue. > > > > > > This looks like a little nightmare, particularly when I've learned that > we > > > can legally keep ABS3 on the machine for limited time only. > > > > > > Can anything be done about it? > > > Short of interfacing 2004 with external programs, personally, I would > > > appreciate having an utility allowing exporting geometry data to an > Excel > > > file. > > > > > > sp > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your answer. So far I've tried the Elite Fire to work with ABS2004 (allegedly it does), to no avail. Their dvb interface is roughly in same progress status as ABX1 was at the time of publication. Another couple of years, may be three and I'm sure it will work. Thanks anyways, sp "Peter Terwilliger {Autodesk}" wrote in message news:4033960d$1_1@newsprd01... > Slawomir - > > ABS 2005 has incorporated links to partners such as Elite, Lindab, Trane & > Geopraxis for duct sizing, fire sprinkler sizing, load analysis, and energy > analysis. These links give you the ability to export dimensions & data to > the analysis app then import the results back into ABS for decision making. > The data is available through xml and ActiveX apis that should enable you to > access it with any analysis software of your choosing in addition to any > spreadsheets or databases you use. > > I hope this helps! > > > "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message > news:307AF343F80DCFE58E627353954E9630@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > Peter > > Of course I can draw it, although in order to draw it, first I have to > know > > what I'm drawing, i.e. calculate it. Companies such as Elite or Trane came > > up with software helping to calculate and it is a tremendous time saving. > > However, manual transfering data from ABS to Elite, or rather lack of such > > utility is a downside, killing any productivity. > > I thing that you are missing my point. I don't care whether this thing > does > > a virtual model or not. I don't want to use all past versions of the ABS > > including S8 on same project. That's all. > > As to "tremendous amount of data available in that model that can be used > > for other activities", I have to admit that I cannot care less. I want a > > software peer to S8 for starters, that I can plan, calculate and draw > with. > > Ulitimately, number of mouse clicks needed to complete a design is one of > > the factors measuring productivity. The other is time between clicks > needed > > to figure out why I want to click and what I suppose to achieve. > > sp > > > > > > > > "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in > > message news:E757927E57C476A45246195556DA71F2@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > > Slawomir - > > > > > > ABS builds a virtual construction model of your designs. Although the > > > benefits to having a design that you know fits before you build it are > > many, > > > these were not the only reasons for a full 3D model. There is a > > tremendous > > > amount of data available in that model that can be used for other > > activities > > > such as analysis and estimation/fabrication. Making that data readily > > > available for use by third parties as well as in applications such as > > Excel > > > is an extremely high priority for the development team. > > > > > > But, as a very famous person once noted, you need to be able to draw it > > > first otherwise you wouldn't need AutoCAD... After 4 releases, I hope > > that > > > you can now "draw it" > > > > > > BTW, the latest version of Elite Ductsize is already reading the ABS > 2004 > > > model... > > > > > > > > > "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message > > > news:60093B4872E6C90CE2F04C7B83FC30B9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > > > We've got a brand new, shiny ABS 2004. So far it is much better than > > > > anything else before. On the other hand, don't have too much use of > it. > > > I've > > > > tried it, and here is how that might work for me: > > > > Load R14/S8 on your computer; > > > > Load ABS 3.0 on your computer; > > > > Load ABS 2004 on your computer. > > > > Open all backgrounds from architect with 2004, convert it to 2000. > > > > Open these 2000 backgrounds in ABS 3 and save as R14. > > > > Draw your centerlines in R14, export system geometry and run your > Elite > > > > calculations. > > > > Go back to 2004 and continue. > > > > > > > > This looks like a little nightmare, particularly when I've learned > that > > we > > > > can legally keep ABS3 on the machine for limited time only. > > > > > > > > Can anything be done about it? > > > > Short of interfacing 2004 with external programs, personally, I would > > > > appreciate having an utility allowing exporting geometry data to an > > Excel > > > > file. > > > > > > > > sp > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 5

Hi Slawomir - They are, as I write, extensively working on the interconnections between ABS 2005 & Elite Fire. We worked with them to generate an ABS 2005 ActiveX API that overcomes the limitations of their current ABS 2004 limitation. We are also working with them to ensure that Fire sizes ABS sprinkler systems of sufficient complexity to be of use to you. Elite will release a new version of fire to coincide with the release of ABS 2005 later this spring. I hope this helps! "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message news:4036e26f_1@newsprd01... > Thanks for your answer. > So far I've tried the Elite Fire to work with ABS2004 (allegedly it does), > to no avail. Their dvb interface is roughly in same progress status as ABX1 > was at the time of publication. Another couple of years, may be three and > I'm sure it will work. > Thanks anyways, > sp > > > "Peter Terwilliger {Autodesk}" wrote in > message news:4033960d$1_1@newsprd01... > > Slawomir - > > > > ABS 2005 has incorporated links to partners such as Elite, Lindab, Trane & > > Geopraxis for duct sizing, fire sprinkler sizing, load analysis, and > energy > > analysis. These links give you the ability to export dimensions & data to > > the analysis app then import the results back into ABS for decision > making. > > The data is available through xml and ActiveX apis that should enable you > to > > access it with any analysis software of your choosing in addition to any > > spreadsheets or databases you use. > > > > I hope this helps! > > > > > > "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message > > news:307AF343F80DCFE58E627353954E9630@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > > Peter > > > Of course I can draw it, although in order to draw it, first I have to > > know > > > what I'm drawing, i.e. calculate it. Companies such as Elite or Trane > came > > > up with software helping to calculate and it is a tremendous time > saving. > > > However, manual transfering data from ABS to Elite, or rather lack of > such > > > utility is a downside, killing any productivity. > > > I thing that you are missing my point. I don't care whether this thing > > does > > > a virtual model or not. I don't want to use all past versions of the ABS > > > including S8 on same project. That's all. > > > As to "tremendous amount of data available in that model that can be > used > > > for other activities", I have to admit that I cannot care less. I want a > > > software peer to S8 for starters, that I can plan, calculate and draw > > with. > > > Ulitimately, number of mouse clicks needed to complete a design is one > of > > > the factors measuring productivity. The other is time between clicks > > needed > > > to figure out why I want to click and what I suppose to achieve. > > > sp > > > > > > > > > > > > "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in > > > message news:E757927E57C476A45246195556DA71F2@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > > > Slawomir - > > > > > > > > ABS builds a virtual construction model of your designs. Although the > > > > benefits to having a design that you know fits before you build it are > > > many, > > > > these were not the only reasons for a full 3D model. There is a > > > tremendous > > > > amount of data available in that model that can be used for other > > > activities > > > > such as analysis and estimation/fabrication. Making that data readily > > > > available for use by third parties as well as in applications such as > > > Excel > > > > is an extremely high priority for the development team. > > > > > > > > But, as a very famous person once noted, you need to be able to draw > it > > > > first otherwise you wouldn't need AutoCAD... After 4 releases, I hope > > > that > > > > you can now "draw it" > > > > > > > > BTW, the latest version of Elite Ductsize is already reading the ABS > > 2004 > > > > model... > > > > > > > > > > > > "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message > > > > news:60093B4872E6C90CE2F04C7B83FC30B9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb... > > > > > We've got a brand new, shiny ABS 2004. So far it is much better than > > > > > anything else before. On the other hand, don't have too much use of > > it. > > > > I've > > > > > tried it, and here is how that might work for me: > > > > > Load R14/S8 on your computer; > > > > > Load ABS 3.0 on your computer; > > > > > Load ABS 2004 on your computer. > > > > > Open all backgrounds from architect with 2004, convert it to 2000. > > > > > Open these 2000 backgrounds in ABS 3 and save as R14. > > > > > Draw your centerlines in R14, export system geometry and run your > > Elite > > > > > calculations. > > > > > Go back to 2004 and continue. > > > > > > > > > > This looks like a little nightmare, particularly when I've learned > > that > > > we > > > > > can legally keep ABS3 on the machine for limited time only. > > > > > > > > > > Can anything be done about it? > > > > > Short of interfacing 2004 with external programs, personally, I > would > > > > > appreciate having an utility allowing exporting geometry data to an > > > Excel > > > > > file. > > > > > > > > > > sp > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report